Dale Turner (songwriter)
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Years active||2004 - present|
|Members||Dale Turner (vocals, guitars, bass, drums, piano, mandolin, accordion)|
Dale Turner is an American singer-songwriter, rock musician, and multi-instrumentalist/record producer, noted for his sophisticated songcraft, quirky vocal arrangements, and adventurous guitar work. Queen-meets-Mr. Bungle-meets-Frank Zappa-like melodic rock, with somewhat psychedelic musical leanings.
Regarded as a musical "Renaissance man" and "mad scientist" for his versatility as a self-recordist in the studio environment, Turner's overall artistic vision has been likened to Jon Brion, Sufjan Stevens, Todd Rundgren, Jeff Buckley, and the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson. Turner is the lone musician featured on all of his albums.
Awards and achievements
In November 2010, Dale Turner's Mannerisms Magnified CD made Guitar Player magazine's list of "Top Three Picks" by Matt Blackett, who praised the album for its "Smart pop tunes that are crammed with interesting guitar parts and tones," comparing it to "what the Beach Boys might do if they were on an acid trip that was on the verge of getting out of control. Yeah!"
- No.1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Rock (Singer-Songwriters)
- No.1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock (Singer-Songwriters)
- No.1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock (Indie & Lo-Fi)
- No.1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Rock (Progressive)
A regular "acoustic guitar" content contributor to Guitar World magazine, and featured video performer, Turner was one of the first musicians/guitarists to be featured in Guitar World magazine's "Lick of the Day" App. for iPhone.
Dale Turner's’s debut American radio broadcast was on "Appalachian Trail," Steve Sedberry's "Vaguely Folk Music" show on WUWG Radio 90.7 FM, broadcast 24 August 2004; Sedberry played Turner's cover versions of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Harry Nilsson's "Coconut (song)."
- Interpretations (2004)
- "Bohemian Rhapsody"
- "God Only Knows"
- "Sweet Baby James"
- "She's Always a Woman"
- "Leader of the Band"
- "Sister Golden Hair"
- "Castles Made of Sand"
- Mannerisms Magnified (2010)
- "Brian on the Brain"
- "Bad Seed"
- "Sooner or Later You'll Hate Her"
- "Hiding Place"
- "Morality Rule"
- "Five Things"
- "Civil Lies"
- "Exit Wound"
- "Solace Song"
- "Dale Turner's artist profile". All Music Guide. 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "New Music Critiques". Music Connection. 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
His work is clever in concept and sophisticated in execution
- "Mannerisms Magnified – Dale Turner". All Access Magazine. 2010-12-09. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
A rich cocktail of differing textures, aural delights, interesting instrumentation, and quirky vocal arrangements
- "OCTOBER 2010 RECORD LABEL SPOTLIGHT - POP & ROCK". Music Web Express. 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Turner’s adventurous guitar work sounds influenced by a wealth of icons like Steve Morse, Tommy Emmanuel, Ty Tabor, Jeff Beck and other fretboard heroes
- "Dale Turner – Mannerisms Magnified – CD Review". Rock 'n' Roll View. 2011-01-26. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Thought-provoking melodic rock in the vein of Mr. Bungle, Queen, and Frank Zappa
- "CD REVIEW: Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified". Indie Music Digest. 2010-09-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
A tripped out musical experience that offers rich melodic variety, brilliant songwriting...
- "DALE TURNER Mannerisms Magnified". Progression Magazine. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Dale Turner certainly would qualify as a musical "renaissance man" devising a very personal album in which he plays all the instruments himself
- "Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified [Album]". Altsounds. 2011-04-24. Archived from the original on 2011-05-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Clever and crazy; a true mad scientist at work
- "Dale Turner, Mannerisms Magnified". Skope Mag. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
The sole producer, recorder, arranger and performer. This singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist and his one-man-show-band included the likes of: voices and vocal/mouth effects, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, acoustic drums, piano, mandolin, accordion and synthesized/sampled strings. Not to mention, this multi-tasking musician...
- "Mannerisms Magnified Review". Guitar Player Magazine. 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Will please fans of Grays-era Jon Brion
- "Album Reviews for Tasty Musical People". Music Worth Reviewing. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
Dale Turner is an eclectic genius full of lyrical delights and intelligent musical sensibility. Musically, he’s kind of a mix between Ben Folds and Sufjan Stevens, and Bjork. But on many tracks, frankly, he’s better.
- "The Independent Musicians CD Reviews". Elite Veterans of Rock. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Dale Turner is vocally one of this decades finest singers. I hear a lot of ... Todd Rundgren ( Utopia ) influence. Not to mention the obvious tributes to Brian Wilson throughout the release.
- "REVIEW: Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified". Crashing Symbols. 2011-08-15. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
At track two ["Bad Seed"] I feel as if I've started listening to the late Jeff Buckley's Grace. It's not so much the way Turner softly but effectively vocalizes, but even the intricate, mellow guitar work that so hauntingly marked "Grace" and "Last Goodbye" are apparent here. This isn't a case of an artist simply imitating Buckley, but rather showcasing his passion for such an influence.
- "Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified". Wildy's World. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
A sound collage of vocal snippets ala Brian Wilson's classic Beach Boys vocal harmonies
- "BIZ TALK". Muse's Muse. 2010-08-31. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
Equally as impressive is the songwriting virtuoso of Dale Turner. It’s a huge undertaking to write, play & produce all the music himself. My hats off to Turner for taking all this on.
- "GP Editors' Top Three". Guitar Player Magazine. 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Top-Rated Album status on Amazon.com". Amazon.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "#1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Rock (Singer-Songwriters)". Amazon.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "#1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock (Singer-Songwriters)". Amazon.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "#1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock (Indie & Lo-Fi)". Amazon.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "#1 Top Rated in MP3 Albums > Rock (Progressive)". Amazon.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Five's Company: Pentatonic-Based Accompaniment Parts'". Guitar World. 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Dale Turner: Hole Notes #1 (Neil Young)'". Guitar World. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Guitar World Launches New 'Lick of the Day App'". Guitar World. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
High quality videos of Guitar World’s instructors ... demonstrating licks in a wide range of styles -- Rock, Metal, Blues, Country, Jazz and more
- "2006 Just Plain Folks Music Awards Song Winners". Just Plain Folks Music Organization. 2006-11-04. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "PLAYLISTS FOR WUWG'S APPALACHIAN TRAIL Vaguely Folk Music Show August 2004". WUWG. 2004-08-24. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Dale Turner's Pandora Station". Pandora Media, Inc. 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Official website
- G3 MAGAZINE Interview: Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified
- ALTSOUNDS Interview: THE LOWDOWN - DALE TURNER
- MUSIC ZEITGEIST's October 2011 Indie Artist of the Month
- TARGET AUDIENCE MAGAZINE Featured Indie Artist: What We All Can Learn from Dale Turner
- I AM ENTERTAINMENT Magazine Interview: Making Music the 'Dale Way'
- INDIE MUSIC DIGEST Interview: Dale Turner - Mannerisms Magnified
- JUNIOR'S CAVE Interview: Music Now Spotlight
- ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM Interview: "Stepping Outside Yourself ... Only Way to Grow as Musician"
- GUITARHOO.COM Interview: Dale Turner"