Dalessandro's Steaks' store front
A Dalessandro's cheesesteak sandwich
|Current owner(s)||Steve Kotridis|
|Previous owner(s)||William Dalessandro|
|Food type||Cheesesteaks and other sandwiches|
|Street address||600 Wendover St|
Dalessandro's Steaks & Hoagies is a cheesesteak restaurant that was founded in 1960 in Roxborough, a neighborhood in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. When referring to Dalessandro's, The New York Times declared that "Philly food could be summed up by those cheese steaks".
Italian American William Dalessandro opened Dalessandro's in 1960 on Ridge Avenue in Roxborough. In 1961, the restaurant moved to its current location at Henry Avenue and Wendover Street. In 2009, former food cart operator Steve Kotridis and his wife, Margie, bought the business from the Dalessandro family.
In June 2016, the restaurant received national publicity when Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon, a known Dalessandro's fan, served future Philadelphia 76ers #1 draft pick Ben Simmons a Dalessandro's cheesesteak on the show.
The restaurant finished runner-up to Jim's Steaks South Street location in Philadelphia Business Journal's poll for best cheesesteak in the region. Niki Achitoff-Gray and Ed Levine of Serious Eats applauded Dalessandro's meat as the "real prize".
- Wyman, C. (2009). The Great Philly Cheesesteak Book. Running Press. ISBN 978-0-7624-3547-0. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Belonger, Jeff (2012-07-19). "Dalessandro's Steaks & Hoagies". myphillyalive. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Hickey, Brian (2016-05-13). "Pittsburgh cheats its way to victory in best-cheesesteak poll". PhillyVoice. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Feldman, Leslie (December 4, 2017). "Dalessandro's in Roxborough remains top spot for cheesesteaks". Montgomery News. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Beyond Cheese Steaks: A Tour of Philadelphia Restaurants". The New York Times. 2011-01-21. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- Birch, Tanya. Discovering Vintage Philadelphia: A Guide to the City's Timeless Shops, Bars, Delis & More., pp. 49-52. Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Kostans, Eleftherios (2015-10-24). "From Dalessandro's to Astra Foods – Greeks Rule Philly Cheesesteak Weekend". Cosmos Philly. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Ben Simmons Eats a Dalessandro's Cheesesteak on Fallon". phillymag.com. 2016-06-22. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- Kenneth Hilario (4 January 2016). "Jim's Steaks South St. named champion of Cheesesteak Madness". Philadelphia Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Achitoff-Gray, Niki; Levine, Ed (3 December 2014). "The Best Cheesesteaks in Philadelphia". Serious Eats. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- Stott, Rob (July 4, 2017). "The 5 Best Cheesesteak Shops in Philadelphia". US News & World Report. Retrieved December 5, 2017.