Dalit Bahujan Shramik Union
|Director||Smt J.Sasikala (General Secretary)|
|Location||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Data as of May 2008|
The DBSU was previously known as the Andhra Pradesh Dalit Bahujan Vyavasaya Vruthidharula Union (APDBVVU). It was a conglomeration of various Dalit-Bahujan owned and managed community-based organisations across Andhra Pradesh. It is dedicated to Damodaram Sanjeevaiah (former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh and President of AICC) and Shyam Sundar. Its vision is "equal opportunities for all to identity, security, livelihoods and future."
To defend and expand dalit bahujan (DB) right to land, livelihoods and self-respect through sustained public action ensuring equal participation of women.
DBSU works in 16 districts of Andhra Pradesh with 550,000 DB families, establishing an efficient structure with equal participation of women. They possess legal ownership of 25,000 acres (100 km²) of land, while utilizing government programmes to further public safety and secure civil rights. In panchayati raj DBSU has become a viable political force, working so others can live with dignity.
- Efficient structure established with equal women's participation and effective leadership from Village to State, protecting rights of the DB, supporting livelihood opportunities and self dignity.
- Food security of 25,000 DB families established with at least 1-acre (4,000 m2) of land assigned and ownership rights and development.
- Using available Government plans, including Supreme Court directives regarding basic food rights, one lakh DB families were guaranteed an additional 100 days of employment per year with minimum wages.
- DBSU members of the 16 districts are asserting and protecting their rights by raising awareness of the various Acts related to child labour, bonded labour, Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 and other right protection Acts like right to information, etc.
- In 16 districts DB is politically aware of their rights and responsibilities, gained political authority and positions and supporting the socio-economic and political development of the DB.
- DBSU has established connections with many movements and organizations, from mandal to state and national levels, influencing policy on employment, political rights, self-dignity, and public safety.
The DBSU is headed by a State Committee, operating through a General Secretary and an Organising Secretary elected for a term of two years.
Wings of DBSU
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Andhra Pradesh Differently-Abled Peoples Collective (APDAPC)
- Andhra Pradesh Jogini Vyavastha Vyathirekha Porata Samithi (APJVVPS),
- Safai Karmachari Andolan,
- Dalit (outcaste)
- Peoples Action for Rural Awakening, Punarnirmaan, Navnirmaan
- Sri N.Paul Diwakar, Past General Secretary, DBSU
- Fr.Thomas Pallithanam, Past Organising Secretary, DBSU
- Attack on Dalits Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. at ChristianAidConnect.org Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- UNHCR Article (1990)jghjkk RSDLEGAL&id=3ae6b52a1c Research/Evaluation - Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 (No.33 of 1989)[permanent dead link]. UNHCR. Retrieved April 22, 2006.[dead link]
- The Hindu (Tuesday, Nov 30, 2004 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2006-04-22. Violence against women. The Hindu. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- "MY STORY AS DEVADASI: ENTRENCHED FORCED PROSTITUTION". NCDHR. Archived from the original on 2003-02-24. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- Boloji.com "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2006-04-22. Society - "Married" to a Goddess. boloji.com. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- OUTLOOK india.com (1 Jul 2002) [permanent dead link] In AP, joginis see a way out from a centuries-old damning tradition . OUTLOOK. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- The Hindu (15 Oct 2000) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-06-28. Retrieved 2006-04-22. Squalor beneath the glamour. The Hindu. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- Human Rights Features (31 Oct 2005) [permanent dead link] Manual scavenging: Time to clean up our act. Human Rights Features. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- "Velugu Voices of Women" (PDF). Velugu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-02-10. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- "Towards Women's Empowerment and Poverty Reduction: Lessons from the participatory impact assessment of South Asian Poverty Alleviation programme in Andhra Pradesh, India". UNDP. Archived from the original on 2003-05-10. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- GLOBAL ORGANIZATION OF PEOPLE OF INDIAN ORIGIN "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2006-04-22. Community Radio - Mana Radio. gopio. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- ambedkar.org "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2006-04-22. Pillar of Dalit art forms. ambedkar.org. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- countercurrents.org "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2006-04-22. (8 Sept 2004)Despair And Hope Of The Mahadiga. countercurrents.org. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- independent catholic news "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-06-28. Retrieved 2006-04-22. (27 Sept 2002)First Christian album to focus on Dalit community in India. independent catholic news. Retrieved April 22, 2006.
- Further reading
- Chandrakanth, W. (3 Sep 2004). "Crime against dalits on rise in State". The Hindu.
- Clarke, Sathianathan (2001). "Dalit Religion: Resisting and Contesting the Encompassing Hindu Identity". Conference on Religion in South India, Department of Religion, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia - Comparative Theologies in South Asia.
- Clarke, Sathianathan (1997). "Dalits and Christianity: Subaltern Religion and Liberation Theology". Oxford University Press, Delhi.
- Diwakar, Paul. "Interview with Paul Diwakar - The SC & ST Prevention of Atrocities Act is whitewashing continuing atrocities against Dalits". Ambedkar.org.
- Kancha Ilaiah, Sri (Sep 2000). "Ambedkar, Hedgewar and Laxman". The Mail Archive. Archived from the original on 2005-04-22.
- khojhyderabad.com (8 April 2005). "DBSU demand priority in land distribution".
- National Commission for Women (May 2005). "Report of the National Workshop and Public Hearing on "Women's Right to Adequate Housing, Land and Livelihood"" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-06-26.
- Simon Charsley, University of Glasgow, I. Narasaiah, University of Hyderabad. "Jamba Puranam: a preliminary reading of a published 'caste myth'". Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Applied Social Sciences, University of Glasgow, England. Archived from the original on 2004-09-10.
- Sowmya Kerbart Sivakumar, Smt. (Dec 18–31, 2004). "A battle for information". Frontline. 21 (26).
- Victor Premasagar (2002). "Interpretive Diary of a Bishop - Indian Experience in Translation and Interpretation of Some Biblical Passages". Archived from the original on 2004-06-04.
- Prabhakar M.E. (1995). ""Dalit Education and Youth," in Bhagwan Das and James Massey, eds". ISPCK. Archived from the original on 2003-07-20.
- Massey, James (1997). "Down Trodden: The Struggle of India's Dalits for Identity, Solidarity and Liberation".
- Massey, James (1995). "Dalits in India: Religion as a Source of Bondage or Liberation with Special Reference to Christians".