Dallas County Courthouse (Iowa)
Dallas County Courthouse
|Architect||W. T. Proudfoot
|Architectural style||Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals|
|Part of||Adel Public Square Historic District (#09000106)|
|MPS||County Courthouses in Iowa TR|
|NRHP Reference #||73000723 |
|Added to NRHP||November 26, 1973|
The Dallas County Courthouse in Adel, Iowa, United States was built in 1902. It was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and is a part of the County Courthouses in Iowa Thematic Resource. In 2009 it was included as a contributing property in the Adel Public Square Historic District. The current structure is the fourth building to house court functions and county administration.
Dallas County’s first courthouse was a cabin constructed of cottonwood logs and served the county from 1848-1853. Leaders constructed a second courthouse that served for five years when they constructed a third facility. It was a two-story brick structure measuring 64 by 42 feet (20 m × 13 m), and was built for $20,000. In November 1900, county voters authorized $85,000 to construct the current courthouse. It is four-floors and was dedicated in September 1902.
The courthouse, designed by the Des Moines architectural firm of Proudfoot & Bird, was modeled on a French castle and cost $109,243. It is constructed of Bedford stone and features a 128-foot (39 m) tower housing a $1,000 clock. Statues of the goddess of Justice flank the main entrance. A renovation project began in 2005 to deal with structural issues has restored of the rotunda and also addressed cosmetic concerns such as repainting interior spaces in their original color schemes and installing new light fixtures to match the wrought iron of the Grand Stair Case. The final stage of the project is an $80,000 restoration of the artwork on the ceiling.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- William C. Page. "Adel Public Square Historic District" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "Dallas County Courthouse". Iowa Judicial Branch. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Hanson, Mark (September 2007). "The Building of the Majestic Courthouse". Dallas County, Iowa. Retrieved 2015-07-24.
- Stanek, Edward and Jacqueline (1976). Iowa's Magnificent County Courthouses. Des Moines: Wallace-Homestead. p. 56. ISBN 0-87069-189-9.