Dallas Taylor (vocalist)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Taylor in 2008
|Birth name||Dallas Taliaferro Taylor|
|Born||May 17, 1980|
|Genres||Southern metal, metalcore, post-hardcore, death metal|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboards, guitar, bass guitar|
|Associated acts||Underoath, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, The New Tragic, Everett , Zeal, Riot Head|
Dallas Taliaferro Taylor (born May 17, 1980) is an American musician who is the vocalist for the Southern metal band Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. He is the former vocalist and founder of the American metalcore band Underoath. He performed on three Underoath albums: Act of Depression, Cries of the Past, and The Changing of Times. In 2003, Dallas left Underoath, and was replaced by Spencer Chamberlain. He was born in Ocala, Florida.
Although no longer a member, Dallas has said in an interview that he is very good friends with the Underoath lead vocalist Chamberlain and was in a video with some Underoath members having fun at a recording studio in Atlanta, Georgia.
In early 2004, he sang for The New Tragic which featured other musicians such as Phillip Reardon (From First to Last)
In mid- to late-2004 Dallas re-emerged with a new band, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. They released an album, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster on October 25, 2005, and signed with Mono Vs Stereo. After the release, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster signed to Ferret Records.
Dallas has been quoted as saying, "I am so fed up with people acting like cowards, and so tired of the many things I've lived for in the past. I feel like it's time to get back to where I was when I was young. This band is proud of who we are as people, what we believe, and where we come from. I feel like so much of music today, especially those who come from a Christian background, spend so much time hiding who they really are, or being ashamed of their beliefs, trying to be 'scene' or to sell records. I want every kid to know I am not going to change who I really am to sell records. I mean, I absolutely hate shoving things down people's throats, but hiding who you are is just as bad."
Dallas divorced his wife Allison in early 2010. They have a son, Corgan Taliaferro Taylor, who was born on January 29, 2006.
Dallas was part of a two-person piano-based side project, The Everett, with his long-time friend Patrick Copeland from The Glorious Unseen. The Everett recorded a four song EP, Destination, that is no longer available.
In 2013, Taylor started a project with Matt Clark (ex-Underoath, Maylene, Sleeping by the Riverside), Adam Salaga (ex-xDisciplex A.D., ex-Jesus Wept), and Sean Sundy (ex-xDisciplex A.D., ex-Jesus Wept) called Riot Head. They have released three tracks and have mainly remained inactive.
Taylor is currently the bass player for Birmingham, Alabama, punk influenced band - ZEAL, featuring Taylor on bass and close friend, Michael "Frog" Ray, on vocals. They are joined by band mates from the popular Birmingham punk rock band, Justify These Scars (Aaron and Andrew), and their first show was with He Is Legend. Their second show is with Punk legends - The Murder Junkies (of GG Allin fame).
- MATSOD - vocals (2004–present)
- ZEAL - bass (2015–present)
- Riot Head - vocals (2013–present)
- Underoath - vocals (1997-2003)
- Everret - vocals
- "Tough As John Jacobs" - Maylene and the Sons of Disaster (2005, Mono Vs Stereo)
- "Dry the River" - II (2007, Ferret Records)
- "Darkest of Kin" - II (2007, Ferret Records)
- "The Day Hell Broke Loose at Sicard Hollow" - II (2007, Ferret Records)
- "Raised by the Tide" - II (2009, Ferret Records)
- "Step Up (I'm on It)" - III (2009, Ferret Records)
- "Listen Close" - III (2011, Ferret Records)
- "Open Your Eyes" - IV (2012, Ferret Records)
- Lucky Louie in "Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser" (2015)
- Stagg, David (September 24, 2013). "Riot Head (former Maylene, Underoath, Jesus Wept, xDISCIPLEx A.D. et. al. Posts First Songs". HM Magazine. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Absolute Punk Video Interviews
- Hardcore Sounds Interview with Dallas Taylor
- Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser