Dallos North American box art
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Mamoru Oshii|
|Produced by||Yūji Nunokawa|
|Released||21 December 1983 – 4 July 1984|
|Episodes||4 + 1 special|
Dallos (ダロス Darosu) is a science fiction OVA series released in 1983. It was written by Hisayuki Toriumi and directed by Mamoru Oshii. It is widely considered not just the first OVA ever released but the first animated direct-to-video production ever released.
The storyline focuses on a rebellion on a Moon colony by settlers and a mysterious artifact called Dallos. The story and setting take influence by past works such as the 1966 feature film The Battle of Algiers and the 1966 novel The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.
In the near future, humanity has drained the earth of its resources. To sustain Earth's populace, mining colonies are created on the moon to provide vital natural resources.
After generations of mistreatment from the Earth Federal Government, the colonists retaliate by performing acts of terrorism leading directly to a conflict with their overseers. A mysterious structure on the moon called Dallos, is worshipped by the colonists and gives them hope. A young colonist by the name of Shun Nomonura is caught into the fray as he joins the rebels, dramatically affecting the lives of those close to him with his actions. A generational divide between the younger natural born colonists and their older compatriots arises as the allegiance to earth as humanity's motherland is questioned.
- Hideki Sasaki - Shun Nonomura
- Shūichi Ikeda - Alex Riger/Leiger
- Rumiko Ukai - Rachel
- Yoshiko Sakakibara - Melinda Hearst
- Tesshō Genda - Dog McCoy
- Hideyuki Tanaka - Max
- Mizuho Suzuki - Taizō Nonomura
- Miki Fujimura - Elna/Erna
- Kōji Nakata - Katerina; Narrator
|2||"The Order to Destroy Dallos!"|
|3||"Raising in the Sea of Nostalgia, Act I"|
|4||"Raising in the Sea of Nostalgia, Act II"|
The four episodes were edited together to create the 85 minute-long film Dallos Special in 1985.
In 1991, Celebrity Home Entertainment released an American dub of Dallos Special on VHS under the title Battle for Moon Station Dallos. This feature version was later reissued by Best Film and Video Corp simply titled Dallos. Discotek Media released the OVA series in uncut form on DVD in 2014. The streaming platform Crunchyroll added the OVA series to its catalog in May 2015.
In Spain it was distributed and licensed in VHS format by Chiqui Video during the 80's.
- "アニメ様365日 [小黒祐一郎] 第157回 『DALLOS』". WEBアニメスタイル (in Japanese). June 30, 2009. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Poitras, Gilles (2001). Anime Essentials: Every Thing a Fan Needs to Know. United States: Stone Bridge Press. p. 54. ISBN 9781880656532.
... the OVA (Original Video Animation) format ... that came into existence with the 1983 release of Dallos OVA ...
- Martin, Theron (19 March 2014). "Dallos Sub.DVD - Review". Anime News Network. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Discotek Adds Devilman TV, Cardcaptor Sakura Film, Jin-Roh, Dallos". Anime News Network. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Crunchyroll Adds DNA2 Anime to Catalog". Anime News Network. May 30, 2015. Retrieved May 30, 2015.