|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Founded by||Edward Tuite Dalton|
|Named for||Edward Tuite Dalton|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation (नगर निगम)|
|• Body||Daltonganj Municipal Corporation|
|• MLA||Alok Chaurasia|
|• MP||B.D. Ram|
|• Total||150 km2 (60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||215 m (705 ft)|
|• Rank||5th in Jharkhand|
|• Density||2,600/km2 (6,700/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, English, Nagpuri, Magahi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||JH 03 : BR 15 (Discontinued)|
|Languages||Magahi, Santali, English and Hindi|
Daltonganj is a city in the Indian state of Jharkhand. It is the headquarters of Palamu division and Palamu district, as well as the subdivision and block of the same name. The city is situated on the banks of the North Koel River.
Origin of name
The Chero dynasty ruled this region for a long period[when?]. The most famous among Chero rulers was Medini Rai. Palamau Fort and Shahpur Fort are major historical landmarks in this area.
Daltonganj is located at  It has an average elevation of 215 m (705 ft)..
The famous Betla National Park is located about 26 km from the city. This park is well known for tigers, and comes under the Palamau Tiger Project. Another scenic picnic spot nearby is Kechki, located about 18 km from Daltonganj, at the cofluence of the Koel River and the Auranga River. Netarhat, a scenic plateau covered with thick forests, is also situated near Daltonganj. It is a popular summer resort known for its picturesque sunrise and sunset. IT Company PATH eSOLUTION is stating in 2012, situated at Jail Hata Road, Daltonganj .
Daltonganj railway station is a railway station for Medininagar.
Daltonganj is located 1,036 kilometres (644 mi) south east of New Delhi and is accessible by train to Daltonganj Railway station (DTO) from Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Kota, Bhopal Junction, Delhi, Jabalpur, Kolkata, Varanasi and Gaya. The nearest airport is 165 kilometres (103 mi) away in Ranchi. It has an airport in Chianki, used occasionally by visiting dignitaries.
As of 2014[update] India census, Daltonganj had a population of 619,972. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Daltonganj has an average literacy rate of 90%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81% and, female literacy is 80%. In Daltonganj, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The government run hospital in the area is the Sadar hospital.Sadar hospital has now become a better and modern hospital with best facilities. People are usually very less referred to nearby cities like Ranchi or Patna for better care but Daltonganj Sadar hospital now takes better care of patients. There are a few private hospitals in the area for primary health care.
|Climate data for Daltonganj|
|Record high °C (°F)||33.6
|Average high °C (°F)||24.7
|Daily mean °C (°F)||16.7
|Average low °C (°F)||8.7
|Record low °C (°F)||2.2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||12
|Average precipitation days||1.9||2.9||1.8||1.7||3.6||8.3||18.7||17.1||12.8||4.4||0.8||1.2||75.2|
|Average relative humidity (%)||65||56||44||37||39||58||78||80||77||69||67||67||61.4|
|Source: NOAA (1971-1990)|
Major Hindu and Muslim festivals are celebrated in Daltonganj. Hindus and Muslims celebrate muharram and chhath together. The town is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Daltonganj. The town has several societies, clubs, and NGOs including Palamau Club, Rotary Club and Rida Foundation.
Vishnu Mandir is a temple situated in the heart of Daltonganj. It was built by Vishnu Sahu in 1936.
Hanuman Mandir is a temple situated in the center of Daltonganj main market. Many people come here to worship Hanuman on Tuesday and Saturday. There is a sweet shop inside this temple where people can buy prasad. The whole street is called Mahabir Mandir Road.
Kali Mandir is a very old and famous temple situated in the center of Daltonganj Redma Chauk By pass road Beside RIIT Computer Centre ( Rastriya Institute of Information Technology ).Many people come here to Poojan specially on Tuesday and Saturday. There is a Prasad shop (Nariyal) of Balendu Shekhar inside this temple where people can buy prasad. The whole street is called Kali Mandir By pass Road Daltonganj.
- Jama Masjid, (Bari Masjid) at 6 Muhan Chowk
- Chhoti Masjid, at Chowk Bazar
- Millat Masjid, at Kund Mohalla
- Noori Masjid, at Paharai Mohalla
- Madina Masjid, at Muslim Nagar
- Hera Masjid, at Nawatoli
The only university in Daltonganj is Nilamber-Pitamber University, created on the 17 January, 2009. The Chief Minister of Jharkhand declared that the Nilamber-Pitamber University would be set up in Medininagar (Daltonganj) in 2001. There are 66 primary schools, 30 middle schools, 17 Navsirijit schools, 10 high schools and 1 Engineering College in the Daltonganj block. The main colleges in Daltonganj include:
- DAV Engineering College
- GLA College
- Women's College(Old Garhwa Road,kund mohalla)
- BN College
- Janta Shivratri College
- RIIT "Rastriya Institute of Information Technology " Redma near Kali Mandir Daltonganj
- ITI Belwatika
- Nilambar Pitambar University
Software | Website Designing Company is
- PATH eSOLUTION, Jail Hata Road, Daltonganj-Contact No. 9308089599,8877420460, Toll-free - 1800-120-8150
The major libraries in the town include:
- Madarsa AHSON ULUM (Old Garhwa Road,kund mohalla)
- Marwari Library (Kanni Ram Chowk)
- Central Library (Sahitya Samaj Chowk)
- Urdu Library (Badi Masjid Road, Chhah Muhan Chowk).
Popular schools in Daltonganj are
- M.K. DAV Public School (CBSE)
- SLA Public High School (Residential School), Sahpur
- Elite Public School,Chianki(CBSE)
- M.D.N Guru Govind Singh Public School (CBSE)
- Sacred Heart School (ICSE)
- Heritage International School (CBSE)
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidhyalaya (CBSE)
- Gyanashram Residential School, Abadganj
- Bright Coaching Center of Commerce, also for all Science & Arts, all Competitions
- Brahmin High School
- Saraswati Shishu Vidya Mandir
- Mission girls school
- Bright Land School (CBSE)
- Girivar High School
- Zila School
- Rotary School (CBSE)
- ST Mary's School
- VPM Gyan Niketan School (CBSE)
- Swami Vivekanand Residential high school, Sudna
The proper education and Learning environment is contributed by Gyanashram Residential School, ,Greater S.L.A. School Birsa Nagar Shahpur, VPM Gyan Niketan School, M.K. DAV School, Heritage School and Sacred Heart school.
- "Administrative Unit - Palamu".
- "Daltonganj". University of Swansea. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Daltonganj
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Medininagar (Daltonganj) Climate Normals 1971-1990". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "Rotary Club Profile:Daltonganj". Rotary International. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Nilamber-Pitamber University". Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "Chapter IX: Social Services". Jharkhand Draft Annual Plan 2001 - 2002. Archived from the original on 2005-03-12. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "Palamu District: Education Profile". Retrieved 2007-07-10.