This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Defence, Shipbuilding, Engineering|
|Kommer Damen (Chairman and President)|
René H. Berkvens (CEO)
|Products||Warships, Yachts, Fishing Vessels, Barges, Merchant vessels, Pontoons, Platform supply vessels, Floating Drydocks, Dredgers, Offshore engineering|
|Revenue||€ 2.1 billion (2015)|
|€ 73 million (2015)|
Number of employees
Though it is a major international group doing business in 120 countries, it remains a private family-owned company.
Damen Shipyards Group is a globally operating company with more than 50 shipyards, repair yards, and related companies − as well as numerous partner yards that can build Damen vessels locally. Since 1969 it has designed and built more than 5,000 vessels and delivers up to 150 vessels annually. With over 30 shipyards and related companies worldwide, Damen is involved in ship construction as well as maintenance and repair activities. It has a wide product range, including tugs, workboats, patrol craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, mega yachts and fast ferries. Product design and engineering are carried out in-house and a broad range of designs is available.
- 1 History
- 2 Statistics
- 3 Products
- 4 Customers
- 5 Group Companies
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Damen was established in 1927 in the town of Hardinxveld-Giessendam in the Netherlands by Jan and Marinus Damen. The two brothers ran a successful, mainly Dutch-oriented, shipyard for decades. Over the years they managed to build up a small, but loyal customer-base.
Damen Shipyards Hardinxveld, located about 10 km from the Damen Group headquarters in Gorinchem, still exists today. It is specialised in designing and building workboats, especially 'multi cats' and shoalbusters.
In 1969 Jan Damen’s son, Kommer Damen, took over. In addition to building reliable vessels at an affordable price, Kommer Damen had a revolutionary idea: the standardisation and series production of workboats. To make this vision become reality he needed the support of several key suppliers and clients, most of which still maintain a close relationship with Damen today.
World Bank Debarment
On March 16, 2016, the World Bank Group announced its debarment of Damen Shipyards Gorinchem for 18 months. As stated in a press release on the World Bank official website : "The company engaged in a fraudulent practice under the West Africa Regional Fisheries Program"
The sanction follows an agreement between the World Bank and Damen Shipyards Gorinchem hence a reduced debarment of 18 months, as stated : "Damen has cooperated with the World Bank’s investigation and has taken remedial action, including strengthening its corporate compliance program"
Key figures and statistics for Damen Shipyards Group in/as of 2015 include:
Annual turnover: 2.1 billion Euro
Damen Shipyard Group: 32 yards worldwide
- The Netherlands: 14
- Abroad: 18
Employees: 9,000 worldwide
- The Netherlands: 3,000
- International: 6,000
Annual deliveries 2015: 180
- Tugs / Workboats: 82
- Offshore Vessels: 8
- High Speed Craft & Ferries: 62
- Pontoons & Barges: 10
- Dredging & Specials: 15
- Naval & Yachts: 5
- Stock hulls: >200
Total number of deliveries since 1969:
- 6,000 ships
Key Figures Damen Shiprepair & Conversion 2015
Annual turnover (2015) : 500 million EUR
Damen Shiprepair & Conversion: 15 yards in 6 countries
- 40 dry docks
- Largest dock 420 x 80 m
- Delivered projects (2015): >1,500 repair, maintenance, refit and conversion projects
- Damen Shipyards Gorinchem] — in Gorinchem, an independent member of the Damen Shipyards Group.
- Royal Schelde; Warship division
- Amels Division; Superyacht division
- Corvettes (Sigma class)
- Frigates (De Zeven Provinciën class, Kortenaer class, Karel Doorman class)
- Patrol boats (Holland class, Damen Stan patrol vessel)
- LPDs (Rotterdam class)
- Minesweeper (Alkmaar class)
- Container ships (Damen Container Feeder)
- Tankers (Damen Tanker)
- Heavy-lift ship (Damen HLV)
- Cargo ship (Damen Combi Freighter and Combi Coaster)
- Superyacht — Lady Mona K (1986), Monte Carlo (1988), Larissa (2004)
- Ropax ferries — MV Veteran & MV Legionnaire (2015–2016)
US Coast Guard
The US Coast Guard Sentinel class Fast Response Cutter (FRC-B) [153 feet (47 m) long, and capable of speeds of over 28 knots (52 km/h; 32 mph) is based on the Damen 4708 design, and will be built by the Bollinger Shipyards of Lockport, Louisiana. The firm fixed-price contract for the first ship is worth €88m (US$120m); the approximate maximum value of the contract, if all options are exercised for a total of 34 patrol boats, is €1.5 billion ($2 billion) over a period of between six and eight years.
Canadian Coast Guard
On September 2, 2009, the Ministry of Public Works and Government Services of Canada announced that 9 mid-shore patrol ships based on a 'Canadianized' version of the Damen Stan Patrol 4207 would be built by Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, Nova Scotia for use by the Canadian Coast Guard in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans had originally wanted 12 patrol craft.
Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) Coast Guard
On October 27, 2005, the JDF Coast Guard commissioned the HMJS Cornwall, the first of three Damen 4207 vessels (termed "County Class" by the JDFCG). The second "County Class" vessel, the HMJS Middlesex, was commissioned on April 7, 2006. The third and final vessel, the HMJS Surrey, was commissioned on June 26, 2007. The vessels are dubbed "County Class" as they are named after the three counties of Jamaica.
Hong Kong Marine Police
The Marine Region of the Hong Kong Police Force is having Stan 2600 patrol boats built by Damen.
Damen Mk I boats were used in Hong Kong and now retired after Keka-class patrol boats were delivered.
Ecuadorian Coast Guard
Vietnam Coast Guard
The Vietnam Coast Guard also cooperated with Damen Group to build large vessels with Dutch license, such as one offshore patrol vessel 9014, one hydrographic survey vessel 6613, four salvage tugs 6412. These vessels will be built in Vietnam by the Song Thu company.
Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard
Damen Group has already delivered 3 of 12 vessels purchased by the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard. A coastal patrol vessel (CPV) CG 25, interceptor (vessel) and supply vessels were delivered in July to strengthen border security and stop the illegal flow of guns, ammunition and drugs into the country.
Damen is a large group. Some of the group companies are:
- Damen Anchor and Chain Factory (AKF)
- Damen Green Solutions
- Damen Dredging Equipment
- Damen Marine Components
- Damen Marine Services
- Damen Schelde Gears
- Damen Schelde Marine Services
- Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding
- Damen Shiprepair Amsterdam
- Damen Shiprepair Harlingen
- Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam
- Damen Shiprepair Vlissingen
- Damen Shipyards Bergum
- Damen Shipyards Cape Town
- Damen Shipyards Den Helder
- Damen Shipyards Galați
- Damen Shipyards Gorinchem
- Damen Shipyards Hardinxveld
- Damen Trading
- Damen Maaskant Shipyards Stellendam
- Damen Shiprepair Oranjewerf
- Damen Shiprepair Van Brink Rotterdam
- Damen Verolme Rotterdam
- Nakilat Damen Shipyards Qatar
- Damen Engineering Gdansk
- "New Cutter for HM Customs". www.maritimejournal.com. 2004-07-01. Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Customs ship seeks smugglers". bbc.co.uk. BBC News. 2001-09-17.
- "World Bank Debars B.V. Scheepswerf Damen Gorinchem (Damen Shipyards Gorinchem) for 18 Months". World Bank. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- "Amels - Forward-thinking Yacht Building - Club Yacht". Club Yacht. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Fast Response Cutter - "Sentinel" Class, USCG, accessed 2 October 2008
- "Mid Shore Patrol Vessel contract awarded to Irving Shipbuilding Inc" (Press release). Damen Shipyards Group. 2009-09-02. Archived from the original on 2010-10-02. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Contract for Canadian Coast Guard Mid-Shore Patrol Vessels: Damen Shipyards Announces $194M Award for partner, Irving". Canadian American Strategic Review. 2009-09-03. Archived from the original on 2009-09-07.
"L'Equateur commande une vedette garde-côte" [Ecuador orders a star Coast Guard]. www.meretmarine.com. 2011-11-16. Archived from the original on November 20, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
The Dutch group Damen shipyard and the Ecuadorian Astinave signed with the coastguard service of Ecuador, the order type of a star Stan Patrol 2606.
- "Damen expanding in Vietnam - Stop Wapenhandel". stopwapenhandel.org.
- Group, Zamba E-commerce. "Vũ khí trang bị thế hệ mới của QĐ nhân dân Việt Nam - Thông tin và hình ảnh - Cập nhật liên tục - Trái tim Việt Nam Online". ttvnol.com.
- "Coast Guard gets three vessels - Trinidad and Tobago Newsday Archives". 10 August 2015.
- Networks, Edumaritime. "Damen Shipyards Group - Shipyard & Shipbuilding Careers". www.edumaritime.com.
- "Nakilat and Damen Shipyards Group in shipyard JV". Marine Log. 21 January 2010. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Damen Shipyards Group.|