Damian (given name)
Polish pronunciation: [damjan]
|Region of origin||Greece|
|Related names||Damián, Damien, Damon|
Damian, also spelled Damien, Daymian, Daman, Damon, Daemon, Damien, Daymein, Дамиан (Damian), Damiano, Demian, Дамјан (Damjan), Damião, Дамян (Damyan), Демьян (Demyan), etc., is a given name that comes from Damianus, which is the latinisation of the Greek name Δαμιανός (Damianos), derived from the Greek word δαμάζω (damazo), "to conquer, master, overcome, tame", in the form of δαμάω/-ώ (damao), a form assumed as the 1st pers. of δαμᾷ (dama).
Notable persons with the name include:
- Damian of Ephesus, Greek rhetorician
- Damian of Thessalonica, Greek physician
- Sts. Cosmas and Damian (died c.303), early Christian martyrs, patrons of physicians and surgeons
- Saint Damian of Alexandria, an early Christian martyr
- Coptic Pope Damian of Alexandria (died 605)
- Damianus (died 669), a bishop of Rochester, named after one of the above martyrs
- Damian of Pavia (d. 710), Bishop of Pavia and saint
- Damian of Tarsus (d. 924), Byzantine renegade and Muslim admiral
- Pedro Damiano (1480-1544), a Portuguese chess player
- Blessed Damien of Moloka'i (1840-1889), a Roman Catholic missionary to the leper colony on the Hawaiian island of Moloka'i, revered for his ministry that resulted in his own death from leprosy.
- Damian (musician), full name Damian Davey (born 1964), English pop musician and actor, known by his mononym Damian
- Damian Higgins, real name of American DJ DieselBoy
- Damian Lewis, English actor
- Damian Marley, Grammy-winning reggae artist and son of Bob Marley
- Damian O'Hare, Northern-Irish actor
- Damian Woetzel, New York City Ballet principal dancer, retired 2008
- Damian Conway, Australian computer science professor, author and prominent perl programmer
- Damian Green, British politician
- Damian Lillard, basketball player for the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA
- Damian Mackle, Northern-Irish professional wrestler, better known as Big Damo
- Damian Martin, Australian basketball player
- Damian Matthew, English football manager
- Damian McBride, former special adviser to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown
- Damian Militaru, Romanian footballer
- Damian Wilson, English musician, songwriter and vocalist
- Damian Cray, character from the novel Eagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz
- Damian Hayes, a character in Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Damian Wayne, a DC comics character, the son of Bruce Wayne (Batman) and Talia Al Ghul
- Damian Hart, a character from Beyblade: Metal Fight.
- Damien Thorn, the Antichrist in the film The Omen.
- Damien Karras, a character from the novel The Exorcist (and its film adaptation) by William Peter Blatty.
- Damian Leigh, a character from the 2004 movie Mean Girls.