|Full name||Damien Jerome Jean Richard Plessis|
|Date of birth||5 March 1988|
|Place of birth||Neuville-aux-Bois, France|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Playing position||Defensive Midfielder|
|1994–2001||Deportivo Espagnol Orléans|
|2012||→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)||0||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 04:31, 3 September 2014 (UTC).
Damien Jerome Jean Richard Plessis (born 5 March 1988) is a French footballer who currently plays for LB_Châteauroux in the Ligue 2. He is also the younger brother of professional footballer Guillaume Plessis.
Born in Neuville-aux-Bois of Réunionais origin, Plessis started his career at Olympique Lyonnais. Plessis signed for Lyon at the age of 15, and was considered to be one of the team's most promising youngsters, following in the footsteps of Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa.
Plessis signed a three-year contract for Liverpool on the last day of the transfer window in August 2007. He initially played for the reserve team, with which he won the reserves league in 2008. Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez said of Plessis after having signed him, "He is a good player, big and strong, and we're sure he'll do well for us. He's only a young boy with plenty of time to work on his game but it depends on his progress how quickly he can force his way into the first team".
Plessis made his debut for Liverpool on 5 April 2008 in the 1–1 away draw against Arsenal F.C.. Rafa Benítez described his performance by saying "Today was the debut for Damien Plessis. We knew when we signed him that he was a quality player. He's played really well for the reserves, and to play as well as he did today in this stadium, it shows we are going in the right direction and in time he will be fighting with the likes of Gerrard and Spearing for a first team place."
For the start of the 2008–2009 season Plessis was given the number 28 shirt. He made his debut in the UEFA Champions League during a game against Standard Liege. He also started the first match of the season against Sunderland F.C. but only played 45 minutes because of a knock, and fellow midfielder Xabi Alonso came on to replace him.
On 23 September 2008, Plessis played in the League Cup game against Crewe Alexandra. He scored his first senior goal for the club in a League Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur on 12 November 2008 when he headed down a corner from Ryan Babel.
Plessis signed a two-and-a-half-year extension to his Liverpool contract, in October 2009, that would have kept him at Anfield until 2012.
On 31 August 2010, Panathinaikos bought the player from Liverpool on an undisclosed fee. He signed with the club as a promising player, but his performances were below par and never satisfied his manager Jesualdo Ferreira. This way he didn't manage to get much playing time, finishing the season with just 9 appearances for the club. At the end of the season he was expected to leave the club since he was not part of the manager's plans for the following season.
In July 2011, Plessis went on trial with Leicester City. However, Sven Goran Eriksson confirmed that the trial was not very successful and quite a short one. He was later rumoured to be in talks with 2. Bundesliga sides Ingolstadt 04 and 1860 Munich. Eventually he didn't reach an agreement with any team and stayed at Panathinaikos.
Loan to Doncaster Rovers
On 23 December 2011, Doncaster Rovers signed Plessis on loan until the end of the season. He hoped to use the switch as a springboard to winning a move back to the Premier League. However, he never made a first team appearance for the club and was subsequently released in May 2012. On 4 July 2012, Panathinaikos also terminated his contract after two years of sub-par performances for the club.
Plessis was a member of the French under-19 team which reached the semi-finals of the 2007 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship in Austria. He is also a former France under-21 international.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|Greece||League||Greek Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|France||League||Coupe de France||Coupe de la Ligue||Europe||Total|
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/01/2012 and 31/01/2012". The Football Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. p. 335. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- Anfield online profile
- "Damien Plessis". Liverpool F.C. 5 April 2008. Archived from the original on 25 November 2009. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Ligue des champions – Damien Plessis, l’infiltré lyonnais (Damien Plessis, the infiltrated Lyon player)" (in French). Goal.com. 20 October 2009.
- "Damien Plessis profile". LFChistory.net. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Damien Plessis". Liverpool F.C. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Bevan, Chris (5 April 2008). "Arsenal 1–1 Liverpool". London: BBC. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Rafa Praises Debut Boy Damien". Liverpool F.C. 5 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Trio Handed First-Team Squad Numbers". Liverpool FC. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Damien Plessis profile". uefa.com. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Torres gives Reds dramatic opening day win". Liverpool F.C. 16 August 2008. Archived from the original on 12 September 2008.
- "Liverpool – Crewe Alexandra 2–1, match report". TeamTalk. 23 September 2008.
- "Spurs sink sorry Reds". Sky Sports. 12 November 2008.
- "Liverpool youngster signs new deal". Ontheminute.com, 28 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Rice, Jimmy (12 August 2010). "Photo special: Our new No.28". Liverpool F.C.
- "Plessis a player of Panathinaikos" (in Greek). pao.gr. 31 August 2010.
- "English interest for Plessis" (in Greek). Inewsgr.com. 27 July 2011.
- Panagiotas, Giotis (9 August 2011). "The "wasted" millions of Panathinaikos" (in Greek). To Vima.
- "Plessis returns" (in Greek). Inewsgr.com. 31 July 2011.
- "Championship duo Hull and Leicester target Liverpool academy graduates". Daily Mail. 1 August 2011.
- Theo, Kostas (11 August 2011). "1860 Munich for Plessis" (in Greek). '"SentraGoal.
- "Προς Γερμανία ο Πλεσί (Plessis to Germany)" (in Greek). In.gr. 8 August 2011.
- "El-Hadji Diouf extends Doncaster Rovers deal". BBC. 23 December 2011.
- Payne, Les (23 December 2011). "Plessis link to Rovers". Doncaster Free Press.
- O'Rourke, Peter (18 May 2012). "Dozen depart from Rovers". Sky Sports.
- "Λύθηκε η συνεργασία με Πλεσί (Plessis released)" (in Greek). Sigma Live. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Transfert au FC Lausanne-Sport" [Transfer to FC Lausanne-Sport] (in French). FC Lausanne-Sport. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "France U21 squad". uefa.com. Archived from the original on 3 July 2007.
- "Damien's a good omen for Rovers". The Sun. 22 December 2011.
- Damien Plessis career statistics at Soccerbase
- "Damien Plessis profile". Soccerway. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Scoresway.com Profile
- Liverpool FC profile
- LFChistory.net player profile
- This Is Anfield Player Profile
- Guardian.co.uk profile