Kazee in 2018.
|No. 27 – Atlanta Falcons|
|Born:||June 5, 1993|
San Bernardino, California
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||184 lb (83 kg)|
(San Bernardino, California)
|College:||San Diego State|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 5 / Pick: 149|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Damontae Kazee (born June 5, 1993) is an American football safety for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL). He graduated from Cajon High School in San Bernardino, California in 2012. He played college football at San Diego State.
On November 14, 2016, it was announced that Kazee accepted his invitation to appear in the 2017 Senior Bowl. On January 28, 2017, Kazee appeared in the Senior Bowl and helped Cleveland Browns' head coach Hue Jackson's South team defeat the North 16–15. His overall performance impressed scouts and raised his draft stock. He was one of 35 collegiate cornerbacks to receive an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana. He performed the majority of combine drills, but opted to skip the short shuttle and three-cone drill. On March 23, 2017, Kazee attended San Diego State's Pro Day, but opted to stand on his combine numbers and performed positional drills, the short shuttle, and three-cone drills for scouts and team representatives from 29 NFL teams that attended, including Los Angeles Chargers' defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Kazee was projected to be a fourth or fifth round pick by the majority of NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the 22nd best cornerback prospect in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in
|30 7⁄8 in
|8 5⁄8 in
|4.54 s||1.60 s||2.65 s||4.27 s||7.11 s||34 in
|10 ft 3 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Kazee entered training camp competing against Brian Poole for the starting nickel back role. Head coach Dan Quinn opted to transition him to free safety in July and Kazee showed promise throughout training camp in his new role. He was named the backup free safety to Ricardo Allen to start the 2017 season.
He made his professional regular season debut in the Atlanta Falcons' season-opener at the Chicago Bears and made two solo tackles and forced a fumble in their 23–17 victory. On October 1, 2017, Kazee earned his first career start after Ricardo Allen was unable to play after suffering a concussion the previous week. He finished the Falcons' 23–17 loss to the Buffalo Bills with a season-high nine combined tackles and a forced fumble. He finished the season with 23 combined tackles (14 solo) and two forced fumbles in one start and 16 games.
Kazee entered the 2018 season as the backup strong safety to Keanu Neal. He was named the starter following a season-ending injury to Neal in Week 1. During Week 2 against the Carolina Panthers, Kazee was ejected for making a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cam Newton. The Falcons won 31-24. In Week 3, he recorded a season-high 10 combined tackles and an interception. Kazee ended the 2018 season third on the team with 82 combined tackles, and tied for the league lead with seven interceptions with Kyle Fuller and Xavien Howard.
- "Jamaal Williams, Damontae Kazee eagerly awaiting NFL draft". Dailybulletin.com. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Prospects who have accepted invites to 2017 Senior Bowl". NFL.com. November 14, 2016. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Dan Salomone (January 30, 2017). "Mike Mayock names 10 standouts from Senior Bowl". Giants.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Scott Patsko (February 27, 2017). "NFL Combine 2017: Complete list of invited players". Cleveland.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.[permanent dead link]
- Gil Brandt (March 23, 2017). "Pro day results: Stanford, Ohio St., Utah, Missouri, SDSU". NFL.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Damontae Kazee, DS #22 CB, San Diego State". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Damontae Kazee". NFL.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Conway, Kelsey (April 29, 2017). "Falcons Take DB Damontae Kazee With No. 149 Overall Pick". AtlantaFalcons.com. Retrieved May 5, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Damontae Kazee contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Vaughan McClure (August 16, 2017). "Damontae Kazee still rates himself as average despite hot start". ESPNcricinfo.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Tim Weaver (September 2, 2017). "First official Falcons depth chart for 2017 season". thefalconswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "NFL Player stats: Damontae Kazee (2017)". NFL.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Damontae Kazee ejected for Cam Newton helmet hit". NFL. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- "Falcons' Damontae Kazee: Tallies seven interceptions in 2018". CBSSports.com. Retrieved February 24, 2019.