|2 – Dan Bellino|
Bellino in 2011
October 10, 1978 |
|MLB debut||June 25, 2008|
|Career highlights and awards|
Daniel Anthony Bellino (born October 10, 1978) is an umpire in Major League Baseball. He wore number 93 throughout the 2011 season. In 2012, he changed his uniform number to 2. Bellino has umpired Major League Baseball games since the 2008 season, although he was not promoted to the full-time MLB staff until 2011. Bellino had previously umpired in the New York-Penn, Midwest, Florida State, Eastern, Pacific Coast and International leagues before working his first major league game between the Orioles and Cubs at Wrigley Field in June, 2008. Bellino has also worked in the Arizona Instructional League, Hawaii Winter League, Arizona Fall League, and Puerto Rico Winter League. Bellino worked his first postseason in 2014, umpiring in the 2014 American League Division Series between the Detroit Tigers and the Baltimore Orioles. Bellino worked his first MLB All-Star Game in 2016 at Petco Park in San Diego, serving as the right field umpire.
Bellino was a catcher for his high school, Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois. He attended Northern Illinois University and managed the men's basketball team. He holds a law degree from John Marshall Law School in Chicago.
Bellino worked for the law firm of Morici, Figioli & Associates and served as an aide for federal judge Charles P. Kocoras before attending umpire school. Holding both juris doctor (JD) and MBA degrees, Bellino's terminal law school research paper concerned the major league umpire union and 1999 umpires' strike. In 2008, Dan and his father Tony acquired the RE/MAX Superior Properties office in Huntley, Illinois.
- "Dan Bellino". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "Dan Bellino – 93". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- Hyman, Mark (16 August 2004). "Behind the plate or approaching the bench, he's a special case". sportsbusinessdaily.com. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Attorney-turned-Umpire Meets President Obama". alumni.jmls.edu. John Marshall Law School. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "UEFL Profile of MLB Umpire: Dan Bellino". Close Call Sports & Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball umpire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|