Dan Bilefsky is a London-based reporter for The New York Times. Prior to that, he was a Paris correspondent for The Times, and covered, among other stories, the January 2015 terrorist attacks against the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket; the pimping trial of Dominique Strauss-Kahn; and French politics, culture and economics 
Born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Bilefsky was formerly the Times' Brussels bureau chief. A graduate of Oxford University and the University of Pennsylvania, Bilefsky has also worked as a reporter for The Wall Street Journal and The Financial Times and has been a correspondent based in New York, London, Istanbul and Prague.
As a roving correspondent, Bilefsky has written on many subjects, from honor killings in Turkey to bullfighting in Portugal and the hunt for the Bosnian-Serb war crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic in the Balkans.  In New York, he reported on what prosecutors called the most elaborate frame-up in recent law enforcement history: the bizarre case of a Queens man who raped his girlfriend and then framed her for a series of brazen crimes that never took place. But his work also includes the more light-hearted, such as the world's most high-tech brothel, in Antwerp. He recently wrote on an audacious heist in London by a gang of men in their 60s and 70s, dubbed the "Diamond Geezers," who stole about $20 million in diamonds, gold and gems from Hatton Garden, London's medieval jewellery district. It was the largest burglary in England's history.
In the summer of 2008, Bilefsky set out for the mountains of northern Albania to chronicle the ancient custom of "sworn virgins", women who forsake marriage, sex and children in order to become the "men of the house".
He is the co-editor of Birth of the Euro: Financial Times's Guide to the Single Currency (London: Penguin Books, 1998).
- "Dan Bilefsky: Telling Counterintuitive Stories From the Edge of Europe".
- Bilefsky, Dan (2005-12-30). "Laughing schools in Germany to teach depressed Germans how to laugh". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (2007-02-08). "A Viagra craze in Spain". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (July 16, 2006). "How to Avoid Honor Killing in Turkey? Honor Suicide". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (August 12, 2007). "Matador Wins. Bull Dies. The End? Not in Portugal". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (July 25, 2011). "A Revenge Plot So Intricate, the Prosecutors Were Pawns". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (2008-02-17). "Kosovo declares independence". The New York Times.
- Chivers, C.J. (September 16, 2008). "Georgia Offers Fresh Evidence on War's Start". The New York Times.
- Bilefsky, Dan (June 25, 2008). "Albanian Custom Fades: Woman as Family Man". The New York Times.