1969 (age 47–48)
|Alma mater||Princeton, 1996|
|Known for||pairing-based cryptography
Sloan Research Fellowship
|Doctoral advisor||Richard J. Lipton|
Boneh is one of the principal contributors to the development of pairing-based cryptography from the Weil Pairing, along with Matt Franklin of the University of California, Davis. He joined the faculty of Stanford University in 1997, and became professor of computer science and electrical engineering. He teaches massive open online courses on the online learning platform Coursera. In 1999 he was awarded a fellowship from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. In 2002, he co-founded a company called Voltage Security with three of his students. The company was acquired by Hewlett Packard in 2015.
Some of Boneh's results in cryptography include:
- 2015: Privacy-preserving proofs of solvency for Bitcoin exchanges
- 2010: Efficient Identity-Based Encryption from Learning with Errors Assumption (with Shweta Agrawal and Xavier Boyen)
- 2010: He was involved in designing tcpcrypt, TCP extensions for transport-level security
- 2005: A partially homomorphic cryptosystem (with Eu-Jin Goh and Kobbi Nissim) 
- 2005: The first broadcast encryption system with full collision resistance (with Craig Gentry and Brent Waters)
- 2003: A timing attack on OpenSSL (with David Brumley)
- 2001: An efficient identity-based encryption system (with Matt Franklin) based on the Weil pairing.
- 1999: Cryptanalysis of RSA when the private key is less than N0.292 (with Glenn Durfee)
- 1997: Fault-based cryptanalysis of public-key systems (with Richard J. Lipton and Richard DeMillo)
- 1995: Collision resistant fingerprinting codes for digital data (with James Shaw)
- 1995: Cryptanalysis using a DNA computer (with Christopher Dunworth and Richard J. Lipton)
Some of his contributions in computer security include:
- 2007: "Show[ing] that the time web sites take to respond to HTTP requests can leak private information."
- 2005: PwdHash a browser extension that transparently produces a different password for each site
Boneh's awards include:
- Sloan Research Fellowship
- the Terman Award
- 2005 RSA Award
- Gödel Prize, 2013, with Matthew K. Franklin and Antoine Joux, for his work on the Boneh–Franklin scheme
- "Cryptography Is Dead?". March 2013.
- Dan Boneh at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Google Scholar citations of Boneh-Franklin paper".
- "Dan Boneh's Publications by Topic".
- "Dan Boneh's Google Scholar Profile".
- "Dan Boneh". Coursera instructor profile. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Dan Boneh: 1999 Fellow". David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Voltage Security, Inc., Corporate Fact Sheet". Old web site. Archived from the original on July 18, 2004. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Mary Azevedo (February 20, 2015). "HP set to acquire encryption firm Voltage Security". RCR Wireless news. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Jeremy C. Owens (February 9, 2015). "Hewlett-Packard buys Cupertino's Voltage Security for data protection". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "ACM Recognizes New Fellows", Communications of the ACM, 60 (3): 23, March 2017, doi:10.1145/3039921.
- "Dan Boneh". Award web page. ACM. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Gaby G. Dagher; Benedikt Bünz; Joseph Bonneau; Jeremy Clark; Dan Boneh (26 October 2015). "Provisions: Privacy-preserving proofs of solvency for Bitcoin exchanges" (PDF). International Association for Cryptologic Research. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- Agrawal, Shweta; Boneh, Dan; Boyen, Xavier (2010-05-30). "Efficient Lattice (H)IBE in the Standard Model". Advances in Cryptology – EUROCRYPT 2010. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg: 553–572. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-13190-5_28. ISBN 9783642131899.
- A. Bittau; et al. (July 2010). "Cryptographic protection of TCP Streams (tcpcrypt)". IETF draft. Archived from the original on 2010-08-21.
- Andrea Bittau; et al. (2010-08-13). The case for ubiquitous transport-level encryption (PDF). 19th USENIX Security Symposium.
- D. Boneh, EJ Goh, K Nissim (April 2006). "Evaluating 2-DNF Formulas on Ciphertexts" (PDF).
- D. Boneh and M. Franklin. Identity based encryption from the Weil pairing SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 586-615, 2003. Extended abstract in proc. of Crypto '2001, LNCS Vol. 2139, Springer-Verlag, pp. 213-229, 2001.
- A. Bortz, D. Boneh, and P. Nandy Exposing private information by timing web applications 6th International Conference on World Wide Web, WWW 2007, ACM 2007, pp. 621-628
- B. Ross, C. Jackson, N. Miyake, D. Boneh, and J. Mitchell Stronger Password Authentication Using Browser Extensions Usenix security 2005
- "Security experts unveil defense against phishing".
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, 1999 Annual Report, February 17, 2014.
- http://www.securityinfowatch.com/press_release/10610184/co-founder-of-voltage-security-wins-rsa-award (Archive)
- ACM Group Presents Gödel Prize for Advances in Cryptography: Three Computer Scientists Cited for Innovations that Improve Security, Association for Computing Machinery, May 29, 2013.