|Born||Daniel E. Burr
November 14, 1951
|Kings in Disguise
On the Ropes
|Awards||Eisner Award, 1988
Harvey Award, 1989
Dan E. Burr (born November 14, 1951) is an American comic book artist best known for his collaborations with writer James Vance on Kings in Disguise and On the Ropes, both set during the Great Depression. He is known for the meticulous research that goes into his artwork.
Burr started out in commercial illustration before turning to comics in the mid-1980s. Most of Burr's early work in the field was done for small press publishers like Kitchen Sink Press, Eclipse Comics, and Dark Horse Comics.
In 1988, Burr and writer James Vance created the six-issue limited series Kings in Disguise for Kitchen Sink. The series was a multiple Harvey and Eisner awards winner, and is now considered one of the hundred best comic book stories of all time. It has been hailed by Alan Moore, Will Eisner, Harvey Kurtzman, and Art Spiegelman.
In 2012, Burr collaborated with writer Michael Goodwin on Economix: How our Economy Works (And Doesn't Work) In Words and Pictures, published by Abrams Books. Economix was a New York Times bestseller, and received praise from, among others, Wired, Publishers Weekly, and Mother Jones.
In 2013, 24 years after Kings in Disguise, W. W. Norton released its sequel, On the Ropes, also done by the team of Vance and Burr. On the Ropes was positively reviewed by, among others, the Los Angeles Times, Publishers Weekly, and writer Alan Moore.
In addition to his work in comics, Burr also does editorial illustration, caricatures, portraiture, and art for children's books. (He is not to be confused with American children's book illustrator Dan Burr, born in 1960.)
- 1988 Eisner Award Best Single Issue/Story — Kings in Disguise #1
- 1988 Eisner Award Best New Series
- 1989 Harvey Award Best New Series
- Kings in Disguise (Kitchen Sink Press, 1990; reissued by W. W. Norton, 2006) — with writer James Vance
- Economix: How our Economy Works (And Doesn't Work) In Words and Pictures (Abrams Books, 2012) — with writer Michael Goodwin
- On the Ropes (W. W. Norton, 2013) — with writer James Vance
- Presidential Misadventures: Poems That Poke Fun at the Man in Charge (Roaring Brook Press, 2015) — with writer Bob Raczka.
- Burr entry, Lambiek's Comiclopedia. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
- "About the Author," Economix website. Accessed Jan. 17, 2014.
- Weiner, Stephen. The 101 Best Graphic Novels (NBM, 2005).
- Kings in Disguise page, W.W. Norton website. Accessed Jan. 14, 2014.
- Kings in Disguise S/N HC page, Steve Krupp's Curio Shoppe. Accessed Jan. 14, 2014.
- Burr entry, Who's Who of American Comic Books, 1928–1999. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
- "Economix," Publishers Weekly (Aug. 12, 2012).
- "About," Dan Burr's official website. Accessed Jan. 17, 2014.
- Ulin, David L. The Reading Life: James Vance and Dan E. Burr's new graphic novel goes to the circus," Los Angeles Times (Mar. 5, 2013).
- "On the Ropes," Publishers Weekly (Aug. 27, 2012).