|Shadow Minister for International Development|
Assumed office |
12 January 2018
|Shadow Sec.||Kate Osamor|
|Preceded by||Roberta Blackman-Woods|
|Member of Parliament|
for Liverpool Walton
Assumed office |
8 June 2017
|Preceded by||Steve Rotheram|
Daniel Joseph Carden|
28 October 1986
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
Dan has described himself as a "proud Scouser", having been born and raised in Liverpool. He is the son of Mike Carden, who was the shop steward during the dockers' strike during the 1990s, and was fired for refusing to cross a picket line. His mother has worked in the NHS for over 40 years.
During the selection process for the Liverpool Walton seat, he defeated Liverpool City Mayor Joe Anderson, Theresa Griffin MEP and other prominent local figures to be selected by the NEC to become Labour's candidate. On 8 June, Carden was elected MP for Walton with 85.7% of the vote share with a 32,551 majority.
Following his election to the House of Commons, Carden and his supporters celebrated in a Liverpool pub called "The Grapes". The pub's landlady claimed that the group were screaming, shouting, chanting, and standing on the furniture, and barred Carden and some of his friends from ever entering the pub again. Carden denied the allegations, but apologised to the pub's landlady, who lifted the lifetime ban just one day after it was imposed.
- "No. 61961". The London Gazette. 19 June 2017. p. 11778.
- Thorp, Liam (11 May 2017). "We meet the 30-year-old who beat Mayor Anderson to contest Liverpool MP role". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "Trade unionist Dan Carden selected in Liverpool Walton". Left Futures. 10 May 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Secondary education".
- Thomas, Joe (9 June 2017). "Liverpool's new MP Dan Carden 'absolutely honoured'". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Liverpool Walton parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". BBC News. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "LGBT Labour Patrons".
- Kirkham, Jenny (12 January 2018). "Walton MP Dan Carden given role on Corbyn's frontbench team". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Thorp, Liam (11 June 2017). "Liverpool MP barred from city centre pub for life after 'chanting and standing on furniture' days after being elected". Daily Mirror. Archived from the original on 13 June 2017. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Thorp, Liam (12 June 2017). "Pub landlady lifts lifetime ban for MP Daniel Carden". Liverpoool Echo. Archived from the original on 13 June 2017. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- Johnson, Mark (22 September 2017). "Foodbank support shows 'best of Scousers'". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Liverpool Walton