Croll in 2014
|Birth name||Daniel Francis Croll|
18 July 1990|
|Origin||Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England|
|Genres||Indie rock, folktronica, pop rock, indie pop|
|Instruments||Guitar, trumpet, piano, bass guitar, percussion|
|Labels||Turn First, Racquet|
|Associated acts||Eye Emma Jedi, Dire Wolf, Jethro Fox|
Daniel Francis Croll (born 18 July 1990) is a British singer-songwriter born in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, England. He moved to Liverpool when he was 18 to attend the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA). While at LIPA, he won the national Songwriter of the Year award from the Musicians' Benevolent Fund and was one of eight students picked to have a one-to-one with LIPA founder Sir Paul McCartney. He is currently signed to Communion Music.
Croll's first release was as part of the Communion record label's compilation New Faces, released on 23 April 2012. Communion have supported Croll both with this release and promoting many of his early live performances.
2012 – present
Croll signed to Turn First Records at the start of 2012. His debut single, "From Nowhere", was released worldwide on 24 September 2012 via Turn First / Racquet Records (Croll's own imprint) as a digital download and limited 7". "From Nowhere" spent 3 days at the top of the Hype Machine popular charts, was playlisted in the UK on BBC 6 Music, XFM and Amazing Radio, and received spot plays on BBC Radio 1. Croll was named a Guardian New Band of the Day in November 2012 and described as "Paul Simon jamming with Prince. Very nice".
On 13 October 2013, Croll released the song "Home" on his own VEVO channel on YouTube.
His song "Compliment Your Soul" was included in the soundtrack for the video game FIFA 14. As well as FIFA, a remix of From Nowhere, titled From Nowhere (Baardsen Remix), was featured on the soundtrack of Grand Theft Auto V. The song was featured on one of the game's radio stations, Radio Mirror Park, and in the official trailer of the game regarding its release on PC, and the next-generation Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.
On 19 April 2014 for Record Store Day, Croll released a limited 10" orange vinyl featuring 2 unreleased songs. Side A featured "Hello My Baby" (featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo) which was backed with "Ever at Your Side". Croll went to Durban to record "Hello My Baby" with the group. The limited vinyl was released in independent record stores on the day.
In September 2015, Croll released the single "One of Us." In June 2016, Croll announced that he had signed with Communion Music. The electro-song "Swim" was released on 25 August 2016 through the label. The music video for "Swim" was released on 31 August 2016. Croll's second studio album Emerging Adulthood was released on 21 July 2017.
|Title||Album details||Peak positions|
|"Compliment Your Soul"||
|"Hello My Baby (featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo)/Ever at Your Side"||
(featuring The Very Best)
|"One of Us"||
|"Away From Today"||
- "LIPA student wins writing award". BBC News. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "New band of the day – Dan Croll (No 1,390)". The Guardian. 8 November 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Dan Croll – Compliment Your Soul". Indie Shuffle. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Dan Croll – In/Out". Indie Shuffle. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Swim - Single by Dan Croll on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Hunt, El (31 August 2016). "Dan Croll returns with 'Swim'". DIY. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Dan Croll - Swim (Official Video)". 31 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Emerging Adulthood". iTunes.Apple (GB). Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "'From Nowhere' by Dan Croll". iTunes. Archived from the original on 13 December 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Future Releases on Triple A (AAA) Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 7 March 2014.
- "Home - Single by Dan Croll on Apple Music". iTunes.