|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 26th district
January 14, 2009 – April 3, 2016
|Preceded by||William E. Peterson|
|Succeeded by||Dan McConchie|
March 11, 1966 |
|Residence||Lake Barrington, Illinois|
|Alma mater||Augustana College (B.A.)|
Dan Duffy (born March 11, 1966) is a Republican member of the Illinois Senate. He represents the 26th Senate District which includes Barrington, Barrington Hills, North Barrington, Libertyville, Mundelein, Lake Zurich, Fox River Grove, Lakewood Hills, Cary, Hawthorn Woods, Lake in the Hills, Cuba and Kildeer.
Early life, education and career
Duffy grew up on the south side of Chicago, the youngest of 11 children. He graduated from Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois with a bachelor's degree in speech communication. After college, he moved to the northwest suburbs where he eventually moved to Lake Barrington with his wife Kris, with whom he has five children. After starting his own independent computer company, Duffy became a board member of the National Federation of Independent Businesses Leadership Council (NFIB) of Illinois and became the Chairman of the Lake and Cook County Area Action Council for independent businesses. He is co-owner of Effective Data, Inc. located in Schaumburg, Illinois.
Duffy was elected to the Illinois Senate in 2008 defeating then-Round Lake Mayor Bill Gentes by sixteen points in what was originally seen to be a competitive race. He succeeded William E. Peterson, who retired after sixteen years in the Illinois Senate.
As a member of the Senate, Duffy was a co-sponsor of the bill that abolished the death penalty in Illinois.
Duffy endorsed Dave McSweeney over incumbent Representative Kent Gaffney in the 2012 Republican primary and was one of the first legislators to endorse Bruce Rauner in the 2014 Republican primary. He has endorsed Dan McConchie to succeed him in the Illinois Senate.
He serves on the following committees: Appropriations I, Commerce & Economic Development, Insurance, Labor, Public Health and the Committee on Pension Investments. He is also a past member of the Illinois Legislative Research Unit.
- "Biography - Dan Duffy". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- "PA 97-0006 Legislative District 26" (PDF). 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
- Craver, Kevin P. (2015-09-10). "State Sen. Dan Duffy will not seek re-election". Northwest Herald. Retrieved 2015-09-12.
- Eaton, Fran (2016-04-20). "Resigned Senator Duffy's Successor to be Picked, Sworn in Wednesday Night". Illinois Review. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- "Dan Duffy's Biography - The Voter's Self Defense System". Vote Smart. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Erickson, Kurt (2008-09-01). "Target Time: The Illinois GOP hopes to close the gap on Democratic legislative majorities". Illinois Issues. University of Illinois at Springfield. Retrieved 2015-11-27.
- Skinner, Cal (2008-11-05). "Bill Gentes Reacts to Loss with Humor". Illinois Issues. Illinoize. Retrieved 2015-11-27.
- Craver, Kevin P. (2015-09-11). "GOP candidate for Illinois House seat to run for retiring Sen. Dan Duffy's seat instead". Northwest Herald. Retrieved 2015-09-12.
- By KEVIN P. CRAVER - email@example.com (2014-09-05). "Illinois Sen. Dan Duffy to step down early to lead nonprofit | Northwest Herald". Nwherald.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Hegarty, Erin; Graham, Doug (April 20, 2016). "Duffy State Senate Replacement McConchie Sworn In". Daily Herald. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Roster 2009: 96th Illinois General Assembly (July 2009)" (PDF). Illinois Legislative Research Unit. 2009-07-01. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2015-11-27.
- Senator Dan Duffy (R) 26th District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Dan Duffy for State Senator
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Illinois State Senate Republicans
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|