Farrell from 1976 Michiganensian
Barrie, ONT, CAN
|Alma mater||Michigan Technological University|
|1955–1956||Hamilton Tiger Cubs|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1967–1973||Michigan Tech (assistant)|
|1986–1988||Oshawa Generals (assistant)|
|Head coaching record|
- For the New York politician, see Daniel F. Farrell.
Daniel T. "Dan" Farrell (born 1937) is a former ice hockey player and coach. He played for the Michigan Tech Huskies men's ice hockey team from 1957-1960 and was the head coach of the Michigan Wolverines men's ice hockey team from 1973 to 1980. Farrell later had a career in the financial services and mineral resources industries. He is currently an officer and director of Copper Ridge Explorations, Inc.
He attended Michigan Technological University, where he played forward for Coach John MacInnes' Michigan Tech Huskies men's ice hockey team from 1957-1960. He was an assistant hockey coach at Michigan Tech from approximately 1968 to 1973. He led the Michigan Tech junior-varsity teams to a 38-13-1 record in three years.
University of Michigan
In February 1973, Farrell was hired to replace Al Renfrew as the head coach of the Michigan Wolverines men's ice hockey team. He was the head coach at Michigan for seven years from 1973 to 1980. At Michigan, Farrell compiled a record of 135-129-6. Farrell's 1973-1974 team was the first to play at the team's new home in Yost Ice Arena. His best season as the head coach at Michigan was 1976-1977 when the team compiled a record of 28-17-0 (.622) and advanced to the NCAA hockey tournament. The team reached its nadir under Farrell in the 1978-1979 season with a record of 8-27-1, but rebounded in 1979-1980 with a 23-13-2 record. Despite the rebound, Farrell resigned as Michigan's head coach in March 1980. He was replaced the following month by Wilf Martin, who played on Michigan's 1964 national championship team. Martin lasted less than eight months before he, too, resigned.
After resigning as the hockey coach in Michigan, Farrell had a career in business. He initially held positions in the financial services. As of 1993, Farrell was employed by the investment firm, IDS. He also held positions with Yorkton Securities and American Express Financial Services.
Farrell later transitioned to the natural resources industry. In approximately August 2002, he was a co-founder of Quincy Energy Corp., a uranium exploration company in Hancock, Michigan. He remained with Quincy as chairman, chief executive officer and a substantial shareholder until July 2006, when the company was acquired by Energy Metals Corp.
Farrell later founded Zacoro Metals Corp. where he served as president and chief executive officer from March 2006 to September 2008. After Zacoro was acquired by Aura Metals, Inc., Farrell served as the president and chief executive officer of Silver Predator Corp. from March 2009 to December 2009. In September 2009, he became vice president of corporate development and director of Copper Ridge Explorations, Inc., a company specializing in exploring mineral resource properties in western Canada and Alaska. He also serves as director of Hy Lake Gold Inc.
As of 2010, Farrell was also a Michigan Tech Fund Life Trustee.
College head coaching record
|Michigan Wolverines (WCHA / Big Ten †) (1973–1980)|
|1973–74||Michigan||18–17–1||12–15–1 / 5–6–1||7th / t-3rd||WCHA First Round|
|1974–75||Michigan||22–17–1||17–15–0 / 6–6–0||6th / t-2nd||WCHA Second Round|
|1975–76||Michigan||21–18–0||17–15–0 / 8–4–0||4th / 2nd||WCHA Second Round|
|1976–77||Michigan||28–17–0||20–12–0 / 7–5–0||3rd / 2nd||NCAA Runner-Up|
|1977–78||Michigan||15–20–1||12–19–1 / 6–5–1||t-7th / 2nd|
|1978–79||Michigan||8–27–1||6–25–1 / 3–9–0||10th / t-3rd|
|1979–80||Michigan||23–17–2||13–11–2 / 7–5–0||4th / 2nd||WCHA First Round|
|Michigan:||135–133–6||97–112–5 / 42–40–2|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
†Michigan played jointly in the Big Ten and WCHA from 1959 to 1981
- "Dan Farrell". hockeydb.com.
- "Dan Farrell selected as new hockey coach". The Michigan Daily. February 22, 1973.
- "U of M Men's Hockey". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "Farrell Shapes "M" Hockey". The Michigan Daily. November 6, 1973.
- "Dan Farrell Year-by-Year Coaching Record". USCHO.
- "BU Eliminated". Lewiston Evening Journal. March 25, 1977.
- "Wisconsin takes hockey thriller". Bangor Daily News. March 28, 1977.
- "Scoreboard". Ellensburg Daily Record. March 11, 1980.
- "Wilf Martin to coach Wolverines in hockey". The Sun, Baltimore, Md. April 4, 1980.
- Dan Conlin (December 1980). "Ailing Martin quits head coaching post". The Michigan Daily.
- "Minutes of Senate Meeting 202". THE SENATE OF MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY. October 20, 1993.
- "Board of Directors". Copper Ridge Explorations, Inc. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "Quincy Energy Corp Executive Salaries, Bonuses, Stock Options, and Other Compensation". companypay.com.
- "Schedule 13D filed by Daniel T. Farrell for interest held in Quincy Energy Corp.". secinfo.com. September 9, 2002.
- "Newsletter" (PDF). Michigan Tech Alumni Association. 2010.