Dan Flynn (politician)
|Texas State Representative from District 2 (Rains, Hunt, and Van Zandt counties)|
|Born||February 21, 1943|
|Residence||Van, Van Zandt County
Dan Flynn (born February 21, 1943) is a businessman and rancher from Van, Texas, who has been since 2003 a Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives for District 2 (Rains, Hunt, and Van Zandt counties).
Late in 2010, Representative Bryan Hughes of Mineola in Wood County, claimed that Larry Phillips, a lawmaker from Sherman, told Hughes that Dan Flynn and Erwin Cain, the newly elected conservative representative from Sulphur Springs, would be adversely redistricted for the 2012 elections because they had declined to commit to the second-term reelection of Speaker Joe Straus, a Moderate Republican from San Antonio. In a hearing before the House Ethics Committee, chaired by another East Texas representative, Chuck Hopson of Jacksonville, an ally of Speaker Straus, Phillips denied having made such a claim to Hughes. Neither Hughes nor Phillips taped the conversation. No judgment was made by the committee because of the lack of corroborating witnesses.
Flynn survived the redistricting. On March 1, 2016, Flynn narrowly won re-nomination in the Republican primary. He polled 14,917 votes (51 percent) to intraparty rival Bryan Slaton's 14,336 (49 percent).
Current legislative committees
Flynn has been a member of the committees on Defense and Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security and Public Safety.
Flynn has had the following professional experience:
- Consultant/Member Relations, American Bankers Association
- Owner/Publisher, Area Dispatch, Van Zandt County, Texas
- Senior Management Financial Consultant, BHL and Associates
- Senior Management Financial Consultant, The Blender Group
- President/Chief Executive Officer, Merchants Financial Corporation
- President/Chief Executive Officer, Merchants State Bank
- Senior Vice President and Manager of Correspondent Banking, Texas Bank and Trust Company
- Deputy Banking Commissioner, Texas Department of Banking
- Texas Legislative Aide, Texas State House of Representatives
- Owner/Partner, TFM Sound, Incorporated
- Interim Judge, Van Zandt County
Flynn has been a member of the following organizations:
- Member, Advisory Board, Dallas District Church of the Nazarene
- Member, Advisory Board, North East Texas Church of the Nazarene
- Member, Advisory Council, Center for Professional Development, College of Business Administration, Texas Tech University
- Former Member, Center for Banking Advisory Council, School of Business, Texas Southern University
- Legislative Reference Library
- Representative files to make english state's official language, The Daily Texan
- ""Texas House Ethics Panel Takes No Action on Alleged Redistricting Threats by Vice-chair Phillips," November 23, 2010". americanindependent.com. Archived from the original on December 27, 2010. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Republican primary returns". Texas Secretary of State. March 1, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "Representative Dan Flynn's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved November 20, 2012.