May 19, 1977 |
|September 8, 2007, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 15, 2009, for the Oakland Athletics|
|Earned run average||4.22|
Giese graduated from Rubidoux High School in Riverside, California, and then graduated from the University of San Diego, where he played college baseball for the Toreros from 1996-1998. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 34th round of the 1999 Major League Baseball Draft.
San Diego Padres
Giese pitched for the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons and Double-A Reading Phillies from 2004 through 2006. He briefly retired during the 2005 season and finished his degree from the University of San Diego.
San Francisco Giants
He signed as a non-roster invitee with the San Francisco Giants prior to the 2007 season. Giese made his MLB debut with the Giants on September 8, 2007, and made several relief appearances with the Giants.
New York Yankees
Giese signed a minor league contract with the New York Yankees in the 2007-2008 offseason. The Yankees purchased Giese's contract from Triple-A on June 3, 2008, and added him to the active roster. He was optioned back to Triple-A one-day later. Giese was called up again on June 6, 2008, due to an injury to Chris Britton.
On June 8, 2008, Giese pitched 2 2⁄3 innings of hitless relief for his first major league victory. On June 21, Giese made his first career start against the Cincinnati Reds replacing the injured Chien-Ming Wang. On August 15, 2008, Giese was placed on the 15-day DL with right shoulder tendinitis. After recovering, Giese returned to the Yankee bullpen with a scoreless inning of relief against the Tampa Bay Rays on September 2, 2008.
Giese was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Athletics on April 8. He would pitch in 7 games for the Athletics with a 0-3 record before being placed on DL. He had season-ending Tommy John surgery. In October 2009 Giese was granted free agency. He pitched 10 1⁄3 innings for Oakland's Triple-A affiliate in 2010 before suffering a torn labrum. He announced his retirement after the season.
Giese and his wife Shannon were married on December 28, 2001. Their daughter Avery was born on January 7, 2006.
- http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=435500 Dan Giese, San Francisco Giants. Retrieved December 29, 2007.
- "University of San Diego Baseball Players Who Made it to a Major League Baseball Team". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-29. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "TSN : MLB-GIANTS - Canada's Sports Leader". Tsn.ca. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Jennings, Chad (2010-11-04). "Dream fulfilled, Dan Giese retires". The Lohud Yankees Blog. Yankees.lhblogs.com. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Laurila, David (2007-12-09). "Prospectus Q&A: Dan Giese". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Henry Schulman (2007-09-14). "Vizquel could return for 4th season in S.F". Sfgate.com. Retrieved 2010-11-04.