||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
Dan Haggerty in 1978
November 19, 1941 |
Pound, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Years active||1959 - present|
|Spouse(s)||Diane Rooker (1959–1984)
Dan Haggerty (born November 19, 1941) is an American actor.
Haggerty is best known as Grizzly Adams in the title role of the 1974 Sunn Classic Pictures feature, The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. From this feature film evolved the NBC television series which ran from 1977 to 1978, and Haggerty became known to movie-goers for his portrayal of nature-loving James Capen "Grizzly" Adams.
Haggerty's film debut was a non-speaking role as muscle man "Biff" in the 1964 film Muscle Beach Party, followed by appearances in various biker and wildlife films such as Easy Rider, Angels Die Hard, The Adventures of Frontier Fremont and Terror Out of the Sky.
Haggerty, a former animal trainer, stunt expert and animal handler for a Tarzan feature and the Tarzan TV series, directed white tigers, wolverines, eagles and wild boar in When the North Wind Blows and worked with bears, foxes and hawks in Grizzly Mountain.
Haggerty starred in the TV miniseries Condominium (1980), which also stars Barbara Eden, Ralph Bellamy and Stuart Whitman. Haggerty played a hydraulics expert trying to warn residents that their Florida condos are about to be demolished in a forthcoming hurricane. He guest starred on The Love Boat in 1983 (World's Greatest Kisser). He cameoed as an attorney in Terror Night (1987) with John Ireland and Cameron Mitchell, starred in Night Wars (1988) as a Vietnam vet who is a psychologist dealing with nightmares of his fellow veterans, and appeared in horror films such as Elves and the Linda Blair film The Chilling in 1989. In Big Stan (2007), he played Tubby, and appeared as a lumberjack foreman in Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan (2013). He has also appeared on the American reality TV show American Pickers.
- Muscle Beach Party (1964)
- Easy Rider (1969)
- Angels Die Hard (1970)
- The Tender Warrior (1971)
- Chrome and Hot Leather (1971)
- Bury Me an Angel (1972)
- Pink Angels (1972)
- Superchick (1973)
- Hex (1973)
- When the North Wind Blows (1974)
- The Adventures of Frontier Fremont (1976)
- Terror Out of the Sky (1978)
- King of the Mountain (1981)
- Americana (1983)
- Ladies Night (1983)
- Terror Night (1987)
- Night Wars (1988)
- Elves (1989)
- The Chilling (1989)
- Chance (1990)
- Grizzly Mountain (1997)
- Escape to Grizzly Mountain (2000)
- Motocross Kids (2004)
- Big Stan (2007)
- Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan (2013)
- Received his "Star" on Hollywood Blvd. in 1994.
- Awarded the Dove Foundation's "Diamond Seal of Approval" for over 1 million family videos sold.
- Awarded the Harley-Davidson "Humanitarian of the Year" Award in 1986.
- Awarded "The People's Choice Award" for most popular actor in 1980.
- Awarded the Paul Harris Fellowship from the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International
- Awarded a "Star" in Kanab, Utah - "Hollywood of the West" in 2009