Dan Hicks (archaeologist)
Hicks was educated at Bishop Vesey's Grammar School, Birmingham, where he was taught by R. F. Langley. He read Archaeology and Anthropology at St John's College, Oxford, gaining a first class honours degree, and received his Ph.D. in Archaeology and Anthropology from the University of Bristol. His research is focused on the history of archaeology and anthropology, material culture studies, historical archaeology, and the history of museum collections. He has conducted fieldwork in the UK, the eastern Caribbean, and the eastern United States, and has published on archaeological collections from around the world.
Hicks is Associate Professor and Curator, Pitt Rivers Museum and School of Archaeology, University of Oxford. He is a Fellow of St Cross College, Oxford, a Fellow and Elected Member of the Council of the Society of Antiquaries of London (FSA) and a full Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (MCIfA). He was previously Lecturer in Archaeology and Anthropology at St John's College, Oxford, Lecturer in Archaeology and Anthropology at the University of Bristol, and Research Fellow in Archaeology and Anthropology at Boston University. He has appeared regularly on television and radio, including BBC Radio 4's In Our Time and Making History.
- Hicks, Dan (2013). World Archaeology at the Pitt Rivers Museum: a characterization. Archaeopress. ISBN 978-1-90-573958-5. (edited with Alice Stevenson).
- Hicks, Dan (2010). The Oxford Handbook of Material Culture Studies. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-921871-4. (edited with Mary C. Beaudry).
- Hicks, Dan (2007). The Garden of the World: An Historical Archaeology of Sugar Landscapes in the Eastern Caribbean. Archaeopress (Studies in Contemporary and Historical Archaeology 3, British Archaeological Reports International Series 163). ISBN 978-1-4073-0046-7.
- Hicks, Dan (2007). Envisioning Landscape: Situations and Standpoints in Archaeology and Heritage. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press (One World Archaeology 52). ISBN 978-1-59874-281-7. (edited with Laura McAtackney and Graham Fairclough).
- Hicks, Dan (2006). The Cambridge Companion to Historical Archaeology. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-85375-0. (edited with Mary C. Beaudry).
- Langley, R.F. (2006). Journals. Shearsman Press.
- "web page for Dan Hicks, School of Archaeology, University of Oxford". University of Oxford.
- "Dan Hicks, St Cross College, University of Oxford". St Cross College, Oxford.
- Hicks, Dan (2013). World Archaeology at the Pitt Rivers Museum: a characterization. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- "Dan Hicks, Academia.edu profile". Academia.edu.
- "In Our Time, 28 February 2013". BBC Radio 4.
- "Making History, 28 July 2015". BBC Radio 4.