|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Howell in 2014
|Born||Daniel James Howell
11 June 1991
|Channel||danisnotonfire, danisnotinteresting, DanAndPhilGAMES|
|Total views||668+ million|
|Associated acts||Phil Lester|
Daniel James "Dan" Howell (born 11 June 1991) is a British video blogger and radio personality. He is best known for his YouTube channel Daniel Howell, (formerly known as danisnotonfire), which has reached over six million subscribers. Together with frequent collaborator Phil Lester, Howell presented Sunday night entertainment show Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1 from January 2013 until August 2014, and presented the station's Internet Takeover slot from September 2014 until April 2016.
Before starting his YouTube channel, he worked in retail chains Focus DIY at the age of 16, and later at the supermarket Asda. After attending The Forest School, Howell went to the University of Manchester in 2010 to study law, but dropped out in order to pursue video blogging as a profession.
He also has a second channel, danisnotinteresting, which has over 1.7 million subscribers and 52 million views, as of May 2017.
In 2012, he won the YouTube competition "SuperNote" run by Rhett and Link. He also featured in the weekly video series Becoming YouTube created by Benjamin Cook which looked at the different aspects to becoming an internet celebrity. He also wrote a blog for The Huffington Post, in which he wrote about the creative process behind making his videos.
Howell and Lester collaborated on a YouTube channel for My Damn Channel, entitled The Super Amazing Project, in which they investigated paranormal events. In October 2014, it was announced that as of that month, the duo would not carry on working on the project, in order to concentrate on their Radio 1 show. It was later announced that the Super Amazing Project would continue production, but hosted by different presenters, scouted by the My Damn Channel network.
On 12 September 2014, Howell and Lester posted the first video on their new gaming YouTube channel, DanandPhilGAMES. On 8 March 2015 the channel hit 1 million subscribers. It was officially the fastest growing channel on YouTube.
On 1 April 2015, Howell and Lester launched a spin-off channel, DanAndPhilCRAFTS, as an April Fools joke. It features a single video of them creating square snowflakes out of paper, with an amateur editing style and humour throughout. It reached over 154,000 subscribers and 500,000 total video views in one week. "Don't cry, craft" became a popular Internet meme from that video, described by the Standard-Examiner as "one of the best known YouTube phrases of all time". The channel was awarded the YouTube Silver Play Button at Summer in the City 2015. On 1 April 2016 Howell and Lester made a second video for that channel in which they did another joke tutorial, this time on making glitter faces. In 2017, a third and final video to end the trilogy, titled "Potato Prints" was uploaded.
On 1 May 2017, Howell posted a video on his channel stating that he had changed the name of his YouTube channel from danisnotonfire to Daniel Howell, after stating issues arising from the danisnotonfire name.
BBC Radio 1
In January 2013, Howell and Lester became the presenters of BBC Radio 1's Sunday evening entertainment and request show. They had occasionally worked with the station before, producing videos for the station's YouTube channel for Edinburgh Festival Fringe and presenting two Christmas broadcasts. The show was designed to be interactive with the audience, featuring amateur music videos from listeners, challenges performed on air by the presenters and song requests. Four months after starting the show, it won the Sony Golden Headphones award.
Howell and Lester presented at the Teen Awards in 2013 and 2014, as part of the BBC online coverage and their Radio 1 show.
In August 2014, it was announced that the last Dan and Phil show would be broadcast on 24 August, with the duo moving to a different show on Monday nights, featuring other popular video bloggers. This new show was titled The Internet Takeover, and featured Howell along with Lester live on the first Monday of every month, before coming to an end in April 2016.
TV and film
In 2015, Howell, along with Lester, had voice cameo appearances in the UK cinema release of Walt Disney Animation Studios' Big Hero 6 as Technician 1 & 2. However, this version is not in the UK home release.
The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire and The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire
On 26 March 2015, Howell and Lester announced they had co-written a book through a trailer on his channel called The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire (TABINOF). It was released in the UK on 8 October 2015 and worldwide on 15 October 2015, published by Ebury Press and Random House Children's Books. The book topped the General Hardbacks Sunday Times Bestsellers list having sold 26,745 copies in the UK in the first week of its release. It also became a #1 New York Times Bestseller in the young adult hardcover list.
In the same trailer the pair announced their theatrical stage show The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire (TATINOF) which travelled around the UK during October and November 2015, ending at the London Palladium. During the tour, they sung The Internet Is Here; Stand Up To Cancer gave them a gold record disc for the sales of the song.
On 22 April 2016, they took the tour to the US which began at Playlist Live in Orlando, Florida and ended on 24 June 2016 at the Dolby in Hollywood, CA. It was the largest tour ever by YouTube creators. They also toured Australia in August 2016 starting in Perth and ending in Brisbane.
YouTube Red Originals and Dan and Phil Go Outside
On 24 June 2016, they announced The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire was to be released later in the year as a YouTube Originals film along with a making of documentary. They were the first British YouTube creators to release content on YouTube Red.
Alongside this, in November 2016 they released a photobook titled Dan and Phil Go Outside, which includes a personal collection of candid photos and insightful stories from their tour.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Sony Golden Headphones Award||Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Award - Web Collaboration||The Photo Booth Challenge||Nominated|
|2014||Lovie Internet Video Person of the Year Award||Dan Howell||Won|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Film of the Year||The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire - Official Movie||Won|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Collaboration of the Year||(With Phil Lester) Phil is not on fire 7||Won|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Film of the Year||(With Phil Lester) Dan & Phil's Story of TATINOF||Nominated|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Series of the Year||Internet Support Group||Nominated|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Collaboration of the Year||(With Louise Pentland) Our Awkward Fancy Meal||Nominated|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Best Use of Tech in a Video||The Dan and Phil 3D AUDIO EXPERIENCE||Nominated|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Creator of the Year||Dan Howell||Nominated|
- Howell, Dan. "@danisnotonfire". Twitter. Archived from the original on 1 October 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
thanks to everyone celebrating my 22nd year into the countdown of death!
- Howell, Daniel. "Draw My Life - Dan Howell". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Dan Howell (29 February 2012). How I got fired (video) (YouTube). Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Dan Howell (11 August 2011). HOT BOYS on Teen Cribz (video) (YouTube). Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Lester, Phil. "@hi_jimmy we move next week! Yes we should :D you can teach me what an oyster card is". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Perry, Alex (23 January 2013). "The Next Big Thing? Interview: Dan Howell (danisnotonfire)". The Huffington Post UK.
- HELLO INTERNET. YouTube. 16 October 2009. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Howell, Daniel. "LLAMARMY ULTIMATE GALACTIC VICTORY". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Cook, Benjamin. "Anatomy of a YouTuber BECOMING YOUTUBE Video #1". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Daniel Howell's Huffington Post blog". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- The Super Amazing Project (26 September 2011). "The Super Amazing Project". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Howell, Dan (1 October 2014). "Danisnotonfire on Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Lester, Phil (1 October 2014). "@amazingphil on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- DanAndPhilGAMES. YouTube. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Dan Howell on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "SITC 2015". Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "DanAndPhilCRAFTS". Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "The TX. 10: Best Dan and Phil videos". Standard-Examiner. 1 January 2017. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- Tashiie12 (17 August 2015). Dan and Phil receiving 100k plaque (video). Taken at Summer In The City 2015.
- Howell, Dan (danisnotonfire). "well done guys it was just an april fools' joke but DanAndPhilCRAFTS now has 100,000 subscribers so @YouTube have to give it a silver plaque". 02 Apr 2015, 15:20 UTC. Tweet
- DanAndPhilCRAFTS (1 April 2016). DanAndPhilCRAFTS - Glitter Faces.
- DanAndPhilCRAFTS (1 April 2017). DanAndPhilCRAFTS - Potato Prints.
- Daniel Howell (1 May 2017). RIP 'danisnotonfire' (I'm not dead) (Video) (YouTube). Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Lazarus, Susanna (9 November 2012). "Vernon Kay and Reggie Yates to leave Radio 1". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Cooper, Ben (11 September 2012). "Radio 1 announces changes to its weekend schedule". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "The Sony Golden Headphones Award - winner announced!". Sony Golden Headphones Awards. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014.
- "BBC Radio 1 - Dan and Phil - Dan and Phil at the Teen Awards!". BBC. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Cooper, Ben. "New youth presenters for Radio 1". BBC. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "BBC - Radio 1 announces new student radio curated playlist show - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Dan & Phil at the BRITs | BRIT Awards 2014". BRIT Awards. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Sutton, Chris (6 January 2015). "Dan and Phil to appear in Big Hero 6". Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "The Supergamers - BBC Three". BBC. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Dan Howell on Twitter". Twitter. November 30, 2016. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire – Reveal Trailer. YouTube. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Lester, Phil; Howell, Dan (13 October 2015). The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire. Random House Children's Books. ISBN 9781101939840. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Howell, Dan (danisnotonfire). "The Amazing Book is Not on Fire is a number 1 bestseller in the UK! 📖🏆 thanks so much guys we truly appreciate it 💜". 18 Oct 2015, 12:44 UTC. Tweet
- "Phil Lester on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Best Sellers - The New York Times". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- The Dan and Phil BOOK & TOUR!. YouTube. 27 March 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "Phil's younow - December 15th, 2016 (Feat. Dan)". YouTube. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
27 minutes 10 seconds in the video mentioned
- "Dan & Phil - The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire". danandphiltour.com. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- VidCon (2016-06-24), YouTube @ VidCon: Susan Wojcicki Keynote, retrieved 2016-08-03
- "Dan Howell on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Dan Howell on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Dan & Phil Go Outside - The Book - Preorder Now". www.danandphilgooutside.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Lucey, Kate (13 May 2013). "Dan and Phil win a Sony Radio Academy Award all suited up". Sugar Scape. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Teen Choice Awards News". Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "LOVIE INTERNET VIDEO PERSON OF THE YEAR". Lovie. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- BONCASawards (22 November 2016). "Congratulations to @danisnotonfire and @AmazingPhil on their incredible #BONCAS success!" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- BONCASawards (29 October 2016). "AND THE JURY NOMINEES FOR FILM OF THE YEAR ARE IN! 🎬 @KSIOlajidebt @Caspar_Lee @danisnotonfire @AmazingPhil @bertieglbrt @midnightbeastuk" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- BONCASawards (29 October 2016). "Next up we have nominees for SERIES OF THE YEAR 🎥 @JackHoward @DeanDobbs @kickthepj @adrianbliss @danisnotonfire @OliWhiteTV" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- BONCASawards (18 November 2016). "And here are the nominations for Collaboration of the Year! #BONCAS" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- BONCASawards (29 October 2016). "And the BEST USE OF TECH IN A VIDEO nominees are in! 📡 @MrBenBrown @thetomska @danisnotonfire @funforlouis" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- BONCASawards (18 November 2016). "We are very excited to announce the nominations for Creator of the Year! #BONCAS" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.