Dan Jones (professor)
Dr. Dan Richard Jones is a professor in the Department of English at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida and a Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication. He earned his B.A., M.A. and PhD degrees from Florida State University in 1974, 1976 and 1979 respectively.
Jones has received numerous awards for both his service to the field of technical communication and his professorship, including STC's lifetime achievement award, the IEEE Professional Communication Society's award for distinguished contributions to education and the University of Central Florida College of Arts and Humanities' award for educational excellence twice. Jones has also worked as a consultant for AT&T, IBM, Westinghouse Licensing Corporation and Lockheed Martin.
Jones spent four years teaching technical communication at Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach before switching over to UCF, where he recently completed his 30th year of teaching with the university.
- Defining Technical Communication. STC, August 1996. ISBN 9780914548928
- Cindy Haupter, Bob Stultz, Suzanne Shomate and John Donovan. Meet the Future: Leveraging Multimedia for Professional and Educational Outreach. Overseen with Dan Voss. STC Conference Proceedings, 2004.
- Technical Communication: Strategies for College and the Workplace. With Karen Lane. New York: Longman, 2002. ISBN 9780205325214
- Technical Writing Style. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1998. ISBN 9780205197224
- The Technical Communicator's Handbook. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Education, 2000. ISBN 9780205279326
- Mark Crawford, How Engineers Can Improve Technical Writing. ASME, September 2012. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Notes from 51st International STC Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, May 9-12, 2004 at the official website of STC's Orlando Chapter. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Historical List of Fellows at the official STC website. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Dan Jones, Ph.D. at the official website of UCF's Department of English. Last updated February 27, 2013. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Technical Communicator's Handbook, The, About the Author. Online Pearson catalog. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Defining Technical Communication at Google Books.
- Meet the Future at EServer.org's TC Library. Uploaded September 14, 2007. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- Miki Magyar, Book Review, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, pgs. 344-345, vol. 46, no. 4. December 2003.
- Technical Communication: Strategies for College and the Workplace] at Google Books.
- Technical Writing Style at Google Books.