|Birth name||Daniel Joseph Kanter|
|Born||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, songwriter, musical director, musician,|
|Instruments||Guitar, piano, keyboard, drums, bass, harmonica |
|Associated acts||Justin Bieber|
Daniel Joseph "Dan" Kanter (born 1981) is a multi-instrumentalist, Musical Director, Performance Coach, and multi-platinum selling songwriter/producer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He is the musical director and former lead guitarist for Justin Bieber. Kanter has written and produced numerous songs and albums - most notably co-writing and co-producing the song "Be Alright" on Bieber's album Believe, and co-producing Bieber's albums My Worlds Acoustic and "Believe Acoustic". Kanter has also directed and performed with Stevie Wonder, Carlos Santana, Miley Cyrus, Shawn Mendes, Drake, Bob Weir of The Grateful Dead, Ariana Grande, Logic (musician), Usher, Julia Michaels, Keith Urban, and Mike Gordon and Jon Fishman of Phish. He was a judge on the YTV singing competition TV show "The Next Star"  and the CBC music competition TV show "Searchlight". He is the host of the CBC show "Guitars In Hand with Dan Kanter".
Kanter was born in Ottawa, Ontario. At a young age, Kanter learned piano, drums, and guitar. When he was 13, he co-starred on the television show Leaps And Bounds. Kanter began playing clubs with his band Hubris in his hometown of Ottawa, Ontario at the young age of 14. While attending Sir Robert Borden High School, Dan co-wrote a full-length musical titled "Destiny: The Musical" which was performed at the school. Kanter headed to Toronto to study classical composition and analysis at York University. While at York University, Kanter played bass in local Toronto funk band Avenue Road. He graduated in 2007 from York University with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in music and is pursuing a Master's in Musicology at York University's Graduate school under the supervision of Professor Rob Bowman.
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2018)
In 2011 Kanter starred in the 3-D concert film Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. The film's gross holds the record for the most successful concert film of all time  and the 3rd most successful documentary of all time.
Kanter has performed on 2 episodes of Saturday Night Live.
Kanter grew up in a musical family. His father - an avid Bob Dylan fan - directed Canadian productions of musicals including The Who's Tommy, Les Misérables, Chicago (musical) and Little Shop Of Horrors. Kanter cites Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elton John and Metallica as his biggest influences. He is a fan of grunge era bands including Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the Smashing Pumpkins. Kanter's guitar influences include Jimi Hendrix, Zakk Wylde, Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, and Trey Anastasio of Phish.
- "York University Magazine". York University.[permanent dead link]
- "Notable YP Dan Kanter". Notable.com. Archived from the original on March 13, 2012.
- "Recording Industry in Numbers" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-04-09.
- "Thornhill rock star part of Canadian Music Week".
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BeidhA1BNpe/. Missing or empty
- https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/justin-biebers-guitarist-jams-with-bob-weir-20130911. Missing or empty
- http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7850175/canada-150-grimes-imagine-dragons-julia-michaels. Missing or empty
- https://big955chicago.iheart.com/featured/emily/content/2017-10-22-keith-urban-issues-with-jingle-ball-artist-julia-michaels/. Missing or empty
- http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18218/meet-dan-kanter-searchlight-justin-bieber. Missing or empty
- http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18935/dan-kanter-colin-james-guitars-in-hand. Missing or empty
- https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/justin-biebers-guitarist-dan-kanter-speaks-about-working-with-the-teen-phenom-20110217. Missing or empty
- https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3558720/. Missing or empty
- http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=musicconcert.htm. Missing or empty
- http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=documentary.htm/. Missing or empty
- http://www.allmusic.com/album/believe-acoustic-mw0002476550. Missing or empty
- http://www.teenvogue.com/story/justin-bieber-purpose-album-review. Missing or empty
- https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/8254948/poo-bear-billingual-album-justin-bieber-j-balvin. Missing or empty
- http://www.vancouversun.com/Cappies+Review+Nepean+nails+production/9744834/story.html. Missing or empty
- Doyle, Patrick (February 17, 2011). "Justin Bieber's Guitarist Dan Kanter Speaks About Working With the Teen Phenom". Rolling Stone.
- https://www.thestar.com/life/fashion_style/2012/02/17/generations_fashionable_grandmother_advises_her_daughter_granddaughters.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/best-jobs/dan-kanter-justin-biebers-guitarist-talks-about-his-typical-day-on-tour/. Missing or empty