Dan Kieran (born 10 June 1975) is a British travel writer, humorist, literary editor and entrepreneur. He is best known for his travel books and for his role as deputy editor of The Idler between 2000 and 2010. He is also a CEO and co-founder (with John Mitchinson and Justin Pollard) of the publishing company Unbound.
Kieran is author of The Idle Traveller, I Fought The Law, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Three Men In A Float (with Ian Vince).
Three Men In A Float became a half-hour BBC Radio 4 programme of the same name, which Kieran presented with Ian Vince and Prasanth Visweswaran. It aired on 27 February 2008.
Kieran is editor of Idler Books' Crap Jobs, Crap Holidays (Crap Vacations in the United States), The Book of Idle Pleasures; and co-editor of two volumes of Crap Towns.
His writing credits include The Observer, The Sunday Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Times and The Guardian.
- Crap Jobs: 100 Tales of Workplace Hell (2005) Harper Paperbacks, ISBN 0-06-083341-6 Telegraph review
- The Idler Book of Crap Towns: The 50 Crap Worst Places to Live in the UK (with Sam Jordison) (2006), Macmillan UK, ISBN 0-7522-1582-5
- The Idler Book of Crap Towns II (2006) Macmillan UK. ISBN 0-7522-2545-6 (Telegraph review
- The "Idler" Book of Crap Holidays (2005) Bantam, ISBN 0-553-81737-X
- How Very Interesting: Peter Cook's Universe and all that surrounds it (2006) Snow Books
- The Myway Code (with Ian Vince) (2006), Boxtree Ltd, ISBN 0-7522-2620-7
- I Fought the Law (2007), Bantam, ISBN 0-553-81769-8
- The Book Of Idle Pleasures (2008), Ebury Press
- Three Men In A Float (with Ian Vince) (2008), John Murray Ltd, ISBN 0-7195-9501-0
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles (2009), John Murray Ltd, ISBN 1-84854-014-0
- The Idle Traveller (2012), Automobile Association, ISBN 978-0749573423 Telegraph review
- ^ Unbound website.
- ^ "Crowdfunded Book Up For Biggest Literary Prize", Sky News, 24 July 2014.
- ^ Joe Barry, "Life in the fast lane not all it's made out to be", Independent (Ireland), 23 July 2014.
- ^ William Leith, "The Idle Traveller by Dan Kieran: review", The Telegraph, 28 June 2012.
- ^ "Three Men In A Float", BBC.
- ^ Kieran, Dan (2006-01-29). "Why We Won't Fly Again". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- ^ Kieran, Dan (2007-04-08). "Goodbye Magna Carta". The Times. London. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- ^ Kieran, Dan (2006-09-17). "Lovers Italy". Archived from the original on October 10, 2007. Retrieved 2006-09-17.
- ^ Kieran, Dan (2007-10-27). "Hawk Handling in Scotland". The Times. London. Retrieved 2007-02-10.
- ^ Kieran, Dan (2007-02-10). "Quick, quick, slow". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2007-02-10.