|Member of the Illinois Senate|
from the 28th District
33rd District (2007-2013)
January 2007 – October 2015
|Preceded by||Cheryl Axley|
|Succeeded by||Laura Murphy|
|Born||March 24, 1967|
|Residence||Park Ridge, Illinois|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois|
Dan Kotowski (born March 24, 1967) was the Illinois State Senator from the 28th district. The 28th district includes all or parts of Arlington Heights, Bartlett, Bloomingdale, Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village, Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates, Park Ridge, Roselle and Schaumburg. He previously represented the 33rd district from 2007-2013 before the 2011 redistricting.
On September 15, 2015, Kotowski announced his resignation from the Illinois Senate to take a non-profit management position.
Early life and career
Dan Kotowski went to high school at Loyola Academy and attended college at University of Illinois earning a degree in Communications and DePaul University earning a masters in Fine Arts. He then served as Executive Director of the gun violence prevention organization "Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence"  and as a Vice President at the Uhlich Children's Advantage Network. Senator Kotowski currently lives with his wife and two sons in Park Ridge.
Illinois State Senator
Senator Kotowski was first sworn into office in 2007. He currently served as the Chairperson of Appropriations II, Vice Chairperson of Appropriations I and the Sub-Chairperson on both Property Taxes and CLEAR Compliance. His other committee assignments were Criminal Law, Higher Education, Revenue, and the Subcommittee on Tax Credits. In 2011, his expertise and success on budgeting matters had him made chairman of the bipartisian Budgeting for Results commission.
2012 Senate Election
After the 2011 redistricting, Senator Kotowski chose to run in the newly drawn 28th district which includes his home, much of the old 33rd district and added Bartlett, Bloomingdale, Hanover Park, Roselle and Schaumburg. In the election he faced Republican businessman Jim O'Donnell. He was endorsed by, among others, the Illinois AFL-CIO and the Chicago Tribune.
2008 Senate Election
2006 Senate Election
In 2006, Dan Kotowski ran for the Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Dave Sullivan. He was endorsed in the election among others, by the Illinois Education Association, Illinois Sierra Club, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and then-state comptroller Dan Hynes.
|Democratic gain from Republican|
- "Precinct Maps - Map of District 47" (PDF).
- Lester, Kerry (2015-09-15). "State Sen. Dan Kotowski to resign in three weeks". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- "Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence Names Las Executive Director". The Free Library by Farlex. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Senator Biography - Dan Kotowski". Illinois General Assembly. Archived from the original on 2012-12-15. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "List of Members - Budgeting for Results Commission". Office of the Governor. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "2012 Endorsements" (PDF). Illinois AFL-CIO. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Chicago Tribune Endorsements For the Illinois Senate". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "General Election - 11/6/2012 28th Senate". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "General Election - 11/4/2008 33rd Senate". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Kotowski, Dan". Follow the Money. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "General Election - 11/7/2006 33rd Senate". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2012-12-19.