||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||1964 (age 52–53)
Dan Lepard (born 1964) is an Australian baker, food writer, photographer, television presenter and celebrity chef. He was previously a fashion photographer working for Italian Vogue before changing careers age 27, and is today known for reconciling historical methods with innovation in baking.
He started working as a baker and consultant at Baker & Spice Bakery in 1997. At his time at Baker & Spice he worked with Sami Tamimi (chef), Yotam Ottolenghi (head pastry chef), and Jim Webb (head viennoiserie chef). Tamimi, Ottolenghi and Webb along with Noam Bar later teamed up to start Ottolenghi's deli's and restaurants, and Dan helped advise the team on the bread for their bakeries.
In 2003, he was the winner of the Outstanding Contribution to London Restaurants at the London Restaurant Awards. In 2012, he created the pop-up bakery The Loaf in a Box in San Sebastián, Spain. It ran from July to September and served as an arena for all those who love bread to debate and eat fantastic produce. In 2012 UK supermarket chain Sainsburys launched a baking website with Dan where he has a regular Q&A slot.
From September 2005 through to September 2013 he wrote a weekly baking column in The Guardian called How to Bake. His column has been very popular drawing a broad fanbase of eager home bakers. Dan's recipes can also be found on the BBC Food website and he is the baking guru for Mumsnet.com.
In 2013 Dan featured as a judge alongside Kerry Vincent on The Great Australian Bake Off, a cooking television series aired on Nine Network in Australia. This was the first series and is based on the popular British format The Great British Bake Off. In the UK he appears as a guest chef on Channel Four's Sunday Brunch.
Dan teaches sourdough masterclasses for the Cookery School at Little Portland Street, London. He frequently gives baking demonstrations, talks and masterclasses throughout the country at a wide range of events and festivals.
- Baking with Passion (1999) – winner of the Guild of Food Writers' Cook Book of the Year Award
- The Handmade Loaf (2004) – shortlisted for a Guild of Food Writers Award and a World Food Media Award
- The Cook's Book: Step-by-step techniques & recipes for success every time from the world's top chefs (2005) - author of the baking section – winner of the James Beard Foundation Book Award
- Dictionnaire Universel du Pain (2010) - author of the British section
- Exceptional Cakes: Baker & Spice (2007) – co-wrote with Richard Whittington
- Exceptional Breads: Baker & Spice (2007) – co-wrote with Richard Whittington
- Short and Sweet (2011) – winner of the André Simon Award for Cookbook of the Year
- Comptoir Libanais (2013) – co-wrote with Tony Kitous
- Comptoir Libanais Express (2014) - co-wrote with Tony Kitous
- Made in Italy: Food and Stories (2006) – winner of the Glenfiddich and World Gourmand awards
- Hawksmoor at Home: Meat - Seafood - Sides - Breakfasts - Puddings - Cocktails (2011)
- "Satisfying kneads - Features - Food & Drink". The Independent. 1999-09-05. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Tamasin Day-Lewis (2003-04-26). "Greatest knead". The Telegraph UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Alastair Little (2004-12-12). Food Books of 2004 [The Food Programme] (Real Audio) (Radio broadcast). BBC. Event occurs at 21:40 minutes in. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "The accidental baker - Epicure". www.theage.com.au. 2005-02-08. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- 27 August 2013 5:46 AM (2013-08-27). "Dan Lepard's love for cars is not half baked". Sunshine Coast Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Dan Lepard and his book: Short & Sweet | Azelia's Kitchen". Azeliaskitchen.net. 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Durack, Terry (2004-09-26). "Ottolenghi, London N1 - Reviews - Food & Drink". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Green, Emily (1994-10-29). "Food & Drink:: Bare-bones chic in Smithfield: Looks good enough to eat in?". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Britain's top 50 foodies - Features - Food & Drink". The Independent. 2004-06-13. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Fay Maschler (2000-05-16). "Feast of the east at Levant". Evening Standard UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Charles Campion (2002-03-28). "Locanda Locatelli - Restaurants - Going Out - London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Raffael, Micheal (2009-01-08). "Dan Lepard's bread roll masterclass". Caterer and Hotelkeeper. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Harriet Arkell (2003-03-11). "Ramsay conquers at awards". Evening Standard UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "interview with Dan Lepard". Culturespain.com. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "The Loaf in a Box". La Salsera. 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "J Sainsbury plc / Sainsbury’s launches home baking website". J-sainsbury.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Dan Lepard (2005-09-17). "Cobnut and plum tart". The Guardian UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Dan Lepard (2013-09-27). "Dan Lepard's triple-coated fried chicken recipe". The Guardian UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Emily Mann. "Baking Guide: Meet the baker | Life and style". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Food - Chefs : Dan Lepard recipes". BBC. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Hot cross buns recipe | Dan Lepard". Mumsnet. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Dan Lepard (1 March 2012). "Mother's Day Treats". Waitrose UK. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Dan Lepard (2012-09-01). "Dan Lepard on Great British Buns". Sainsburys Magazine UK. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Dan Lepard (1 September 2012). "Step by step golden saffron hot cross buns recipe". Delicious Magazine UK. Archived from the original on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Dan Lepard (2014-04-10). "Dan Lepard talks unrefined sugar". Gourmet Traveller Australia. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "The Great Australian Bake Off". Channelnine.ninemsn.com.au. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Sunday Brunch - Articles - The Great British Fruit Bun Recipe". Channel 4. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Sunday Brunch - Articles - Carrot, Orange and Pistachio Cake Recipe". Channel 4. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Classes - Book Cooking Lessons - Cookery School London". Cookeryschool.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Dan Lepard. "Celebration baking: coconut mascarpone cake with mascarpone buttercream recipe | Life and style". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Guild of Food Writers. "Guild of Food Writers Awards Winners 2000". gfw.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Joanna Wood (2005-05-09). "Nominations for Guild of Food Writers Awards". catererandhotelkeeper.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Nicholas Lander (2010-12-03). "Baking hot". Financial Times UK. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- Dan Lepard (2010-10-22). "Barmy days for bread". British Baker Magazine UK. Retrieved 2014-04-13.