|Born||March 18, 1974|
|Residence||St. Louis, Missouri|
Daniel "Dan" McLaughlin is a professional sports broadcaster who currently works on both St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Blues telecasts on the cable television channel Fox Sports Midwest. He was born March 18, 1974 in St. Louis. He used to be a play-by-play announcer for the NFL on Fox in 2006 with some involving the St. Louis Rams as he called the St. Louis Rams-Minnesota Vikings game with Tony Boselli.
Dan McLaughlin grew up in the St. Louis area where his father was a school teacher. Following his graduation from St. John Vianney High School in suburban Kirkwood, Missouri, McLaughlin attended Lindenwood University in Saint Charles. Setting his sights on sports broadcasting from an early age, McLaughlin performed a variety of broadcasting duties at university-owned KCLC while a student while at Lindenwood.
While in college McLaughlin also served an internship at KMOX radio in St. Louis, and became a sports talk show host with the station in 1996. McLaughlin soon found himself as a frequent contributor to St. Louis Blues telecasts on KPLR-TV and FSN Midwest. In 2000, he became the play-by-play broadcaster for FSN's Cardinal games. Additionally McLaughlin does play-by-play Mizzou Tiger and Missouri Valley Conference basketball games, and occasional regional college football games for ESPN.
Legal troubles, suspension
On August 16, 2010 Dan McLaughlin was arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated. Under a plea agreement McLaughlin was allowed to keep his drivers license and placed on two years probation. On September 30, 2011, McLaughlin was involved in a one-vehicle crash near his Chesterfield, Missouri home. Police investigated and arrested McLaughlin on charges of drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident. Following the second arrest, Fox Sports Midwest placed him on indefinite suspension, removing him from all remaining regular-season Cardinals broadcasts, and post-game specials during the teams playoff and World Series run. In addition to suspension from his job with Fox Sports, McLaughlin lost his employment broadcasting Mizzou and Missouri Valley Conference games, as well as his regular appearances on KMOX radio.
McLaughlin was reinstated by Fox in February, 2012 after being treated for alcoholism at a rehab facility. He also returned to KMOX, but in a much more limited role. Said McLaughlin to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of his newfound sobriety: "I feel better than I have in a decade, at least." He has lost over 75 pounds and attends meetings daily to help maintain a sober life.
Dan McLaughlin and wife Libby are the parents of four children: oldest son Luke, born in 2005, oldest daughter Avery, born in 2007, and twins Oliva and Barrett born in 2009. The McLaughlins are involved in several St. Louis area charities including hosting the annual "Dan McLaughlin Golf Tournament" to benefit the Special Education.
- St. Louis Cardinals 2006 Media Guide. Hadler Printing, 2006.
- "Broadcasters". St. Louis Cardinals. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Caesar, Dan. "Getting to know Dan McLaughlin." St. Louis Post Dispatch, August 3, 2002.
- "What's Next for Sportscaster Dan McLaughlin?". Eureka-Wildwood Patch. 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Exclusive interview with Dan McLaughlin". Redbirds Fun. 2007-02-13. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "Dan McLaughlin bio". CBSStLouis.com. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Dan McLaughlin Charged Again with DWI". KSDK-TV website. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "Cards broadcaster McLaughlin cited for drunk driving". STL Today.com. 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Mann, Jennifer. "Cards Broadcaster McLaughlin cited for drunk driving". STLtoday.
- Caesar, Dan (3 February 2012). "McLaughlin will return to Cards booth". St. Louis Post-Dispatch via website. Retrieved 2 July 2012.