Paul Anka and Skip Homeier as Dan Raven in "The Trade".
Quinn K. Redeker
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (hour-long episodes)|
|Running time||60 mins.|
|Production company(s)||Screen Gems|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television (current)|
|Original release||September 23, 1960 (Half-hour episodes started in January 1960.)- – January 6, 1961|
Dan Raven is an American crime drama starring Skip Homeier which aired on NBC between January 23, 1960, and January 6, 1961. The setting of the series is the famous Sunset Strip of West Hollywood, California. The series focuses on activities of the sheriff's department, including those of the fictitious Lieutenant Dan Raven and his assistant, Sergeant Burke, played by Dan Barton. Quinn K. Redeker appeared as photographer Perry Levitt. The program aired for a half-hour from January 1960 until September 23, when it expanded for thirteen hour-long segments.
Dan Raven featured contemporary celebrities appearing as themselves, including Buddy Hackett, Paul Anka, Marty Ingels, Bob Crewe, and Bobby Darin. Darin appeared in the first of the hour-long episodes, "The High Cost of Fame".
The long-running 77 Sunset Strip ran on ABC at 9 p.m. Eastern on the same Friday evenings as Dan Raven, which started at 7:30. Dan Raven, in the hour format, faced difficult opposition from the second season of CBS Western series Rawhide starring Eric Fleming and Clint Eastwood. Its competition on ABC was the sitcom Harrigan and Son, starring Pat O'Brien and Roger Perry.
Other selected episodes include:
- "The Mechanic" with Buddy Hackett on September 30
- "The Trade" with Paul Anka on October 7
- "Penny" with Paul Richards (1924–1974) on October 21
- "The Empty Frame" with Suzanne Storrs on October 28
- "The Night Is Numbered" with Paul Crewe on November 4
- "The Satchel Man" with Paul Anka and Parley Baer on November 11
- "The Junket" with Don Dubbins (1928–1991) and Mel Torme (1925–1999) on November 18
- "The Man on the Ledge" with Marty Ingels on November 25
- "Amateur Night" with Marty Ingels and Claude Akins (1926–1994) on December 2
- "Tinge of Red" with Julie London (1926–2000), Judson Pratt (1916–2002) and Gavin MacLeod (born 1930) on December 16
- "Buy a Nightmare" with Don Haggerty (1914–1988), Harvey Lembeck (1923–1982) and Adrienne Ellis, the series finale.
- Alex McNeil, Total Television (New York, Penguin Books, 1996, 4th ed.), p.195
- 1960-1961 American network television schedule in appendix of McNeil's Total Television
- IMDB, Dan Raven, Episode list: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053495/episodes; TV.com, Dan Raven", Episode List: http://www.tv.com/dan-raven/show/6987/episode_listings.html. There are some discrepancies in the two lists in regard to dates of airings.