|Also known as||Day DiSyraah|
|Born||10 March 1973|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, percussion|
Dan-Erland Swanö (born 10 March 1973), also known as Dan "The Man" Swanö, is a Swedish musician and record producer who is currently the vocalist, guitarist, ex-bassist and ex-drummer for the band Nightingale, lately vocalist, keyboardist and drummer for the band Witherscape, as well as the owner of Unisound, but he achieved fame as the vocalist and songwriter of progressive death metal band Edge of Sanity.
As a multi-instrumentalist he is regarded as influential in the underground melodic death metal, black metal, progressive metal, death metal, progressive rock, and power metal communities.[not verified in body] He is known for his progressive rock-influenced songwriting style and his frequent use of both clean and growled vocals.
Swanö has fronted a number of bands, including Edge of Sanity, Brejn Dedd, Unicorn, Infestdead and Route Nine. He has also been a member of Katatonia and Ribspreader, as well as playing drums and lead guitar in death metal band Bloodbath.
Swanö also participated in Steel, a one-off power metal project from Sweden that featured him and members of Opeth. Started in 1996, this collaboration emerged during the recording sessions for Opeth's Morningrise album. During a jam session, when the band were soundchecking the drums, they hit upon an idea to record a short piece for fun, entitled "Guitars and Metal". This gave birth to Steel. Subsequently, they were asked to record more songs, and when they did, the songs which were originally meant for a demo, actually appeared on a limited picture 7-inch EP titled Heavy Metal Machine, released by Near Dark Productions. To this date, it remains their sole record. Featuring only two songs, Heavy Metal Machine sounds very much like a typical 1980s power metal band, with high-pitched vocals, shredding solos, pounding bass lines and 1980s-style sound effects (police sirens, etc.). However, the record is not meant to be taken as a serious power metal attempt, explaining Swanö's extremely high-pitched vocals. As a limited release, Heavy Metal Machine remains a collectors' item and is hard to come by.
He has also contributed his vocal talents to Arjen Lucassen's Star One project. The two musicians are good friends, with Lucassen contributing guitar parts to Swanö's Nightingale project. Swanö can also be heard on the albums Theli and A'arab Zaraq – Lucid Dreaming by the symphonic metal band Therion. He was a producer and contributing writer of the band Diabolical Masquerade, the now-defunct solo avant-garde black metal band of Anders Nyström a.k.a. Blakkheim (Katatonia, Bloodbath, ex-Bewitched). He also contributed some guitar solos, backing vocals on various Diabolical Masquerade albums, and played the drums on the album Nightwork. He also produced and played the keyboards on the Memories from Nothing album by Swedish rock band Another Life, released on Vic Records.
During 2009, Swanö re-activated Odyssey, this time performing all instruments by himself. Swanö recorded seven of his all-time favourite songs which was released in November 2010 on the album Reinventing the Past, together with the three 1999 tracks as a bonus on Vic Records. His brother Dag played guest lead guitar on the song "Gypsy", a Uriah Heep cover.
In 2013, Swanö released with his new project Witherscape the full studio album The Inheritance, with Ragnar Widerberg as co-member, and the collaboration of, amongst other guest musicians, Novembers Doom's founder Paul Kuhr. It was followed a year after by the EP The New Tomorrow. In 2016, the full studio album The Northern Sanctuary was released, via Century Media Records like its predecessors, featuring once again Paul Kuhr.
Swanö has a diverse vocal register, encompassing many styles, which include death growls; clean, melodic singing with a warm tone; dark gothic vocals; and thrash shouting. As a peculiarity, he is a left-handed guitarist, but plays on right-handed guitars without reversing the strings.
In December 2020 Swanö was a guest on episode 8 of the podcast "Wir und ELANE", hosted by members of the German band Elane. He spoke about several band experiences, the creation process of the first Nightingale album and the project which was called "Second Sky".
Unisound Studio (also Unisound Recordings or Gorysound Studio) is a recording studio owned and operated by Dan Swanö. It used to be in Finspång, Sweden, but was closed down in around 2001 because of his family. The studio was later relocated into Swanö's home in Örebro.
Family and work
Despite the large amount of releases to his name, Swanö up until recently worked full-time in a music store (Musikbörsen) in Örebro, near his home in Sweden, rarely doing live performances with any of his bands. He has an older brother, Dag, who plays guitars and keyboards in Nightingale, formerly under the name of "Tom Nouga".
|1988||Brejn Dedd||First Demo||Backing vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1988||Brejn Dedd||Ugly Tapez||Backing vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1989||Brejn Dedd||Born Ugly||Backing vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1989||Edge of Sanity||Euthanasia||Vocals||Demo|
|1989||Unicorn||A Collection of Worlds, Part I||Vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1989||Unicorn||A Collection of Worlds, Part II||Vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1990||Stygg Död||Välkommen till Helvetet||Vocals||Bass||Demo|
|1990||Ulan Bator||Gummicancer||Backing vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1990||Edge of Sanity||Kur-Nu-Gi-A||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Demo|
|1990||Edge of Sanity||The Dead||Vocals||Demo|
|1990||Edge of Sanity||The Immortal Rehearsals||Vocals||Demo|
|1990||Deppdöden||Titta först på när jag dansar||Drums||EP|
|1990||Wounded Knee||Searching||Backing vocals||Drums||EP|
|1990||Ulan Bator||På Rätt Spår||Backing vocals||Drums||EP|
|1990||Subway Mirror/O(:the circle)||Prime||Vocals||Guitars||Demo|
|1991||Pan.Thy.Monium||Dream II||Lead Guitars||Bass||Keyboards||EP|
|1991||Incision||Infest Incest||Vocals||Drums||EP, Unreleased|
|1991||Edge of Sanity||Dead but Dreaming||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Demo|
|1991||Edge of Sanity||Nothing But Death Remains||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1991||Subway Mirror/O(:the circle)||Golliwog||Vocals||Guitars||Demo|
|1991||Unicorn||The Weirdest of Tales||Vocals||Drums||Demo|
|1991||Wounded Knee||Feelings||Backing vocals||Drums||Studio|
|1992||Edge of Sanity||Unorthodox||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1992||Pan.Thy.Monium||Dawn of Dreams||Lead Guitars||Bass||Keyboards||Studio|
|1992||Maceration||A Serenade of Agony||Vocals||Keyboards||Studio|
|1992||Route Nine||Disrupted Vacancy||Vocals||Bass||Drums||Keyboards||Demo|
|1992||Subway Mirror/O(:the circle)||RaQ||Vocals||Guitars||Demo|
|1993||Edge of Sanity||The Spectral Sorrows||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1993||Route Nine||Before I Close My Eyes Forever||Vocals||Bass||Drums||Keyboards||EP|
|1993||Subway Mirror/O(:the circle)||Jpp||Vocals||Guitars||Demo|
|1993||Godsend||As the Shadows Fall||Vocals||Keyboards||Studio|
|1994||Edge of Sanity||Until Eternity Ends||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||EP|
|1994||Edge of Sanity||Purgatory Afterglow||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1995||Nightingale||The Breathing Shadow||Vocals||All Instruments||Studio|
|1996||Edge of Sanity||Crimson||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1996||Nightingale||The Closing Chronicles||Vocals||Guitars||Drums||Keyboards||Studio|
|1996||Pan.Thy.Monium||Khaooohs and Kon-Fus-Ion||Lead Guitars||Bass||Keyboards||Studio|
|1997||Edge of Sanity||Infernal||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Studio|
|1997||Godsend||A Wayfarers Tears||Vocals||Keyboards||Studio|
|1998||Subway Mirror/O(:the circle)||Wisepope||Vocals||Guitars||CD-R, Recorded in 1994|
|1998||Steel||Heavy Metal Machine||Vocals||EP|
|1998||Dan Swanö||Moontower||Vocals||All Instruments||Studio|
|1999||Edge of Sanity||Evolution||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Compilation|
|1999||Katatonia||Tonight's Decision||Session drums||Studio|
|2000||Bloodbath||Breeding Death||Backing vocals||Drums||EP|
|2001||Route Nine||The Works||Vocals||Guitars||Bass||Drums||Keyboards||Compilation|
|2002||Bloodbath||Resurrection Through Carnage||Drums||Studio|
|2002||Star One||Space Metal||Vocals||Studio|
|2003||Edge of Sanity||Crimson II||Vocals||All Instruments||Studio|
|2004||Bloodbath||Nightmares Made Flesh||Backing vocals||Guitars||Bass||Studio|
|2006||Edge of Sanity||When All Is Said||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||Compilation|
|2007||Darkcide||Split EP with Infestdead||Vocals||All Instruments||Split EP|
|2008||Bloodbath||The Wacken Carnage||Backing vocals||Guitar||Live|
|2008||Total Terror||Total Terror||Vocals||Guitar||Studio|
|2008||Nightingale||Box of Rock||Vocals||Guitar||Keyboards||Compilation|
|2010||Odyssey||Reinventing the Past||Vocals||All Instruments||Studio|
|2010||Star One||Victims of the Modern Age||Vocals||Studio|
|2010||Pan.Thy.Monium||...Dawn+Dream II||Lead Guitars||Bass||Keyboards||Compilation|
|2012||Edge of Sanity||Kur-Nu-Gi-A (2012 Reissue Edition)||Vocals||Add. Guitar||Keyboards||EP|
|2014||Witherscape||The New Tomorrow||Vocals||Guitars||Keyboards||EP|
|2015||Unicorn||A Collection of Worlds Resurrection||Vocals||Drums||Compilation|
|2016||Infestdead||Satanic Serenades||Lead Guitars||Bass||Drum-programming||Keyboards||Compilation|
|2016||Witherscape||The Northern Sanctuary||Vocals||Guitars||Keyboards||Studio|
|2017||Nightingale||Rock Hard Live||Vocals||Guitars||Keyboards||Live|
|2022||Star One||Revel in Time||Vocals||On "Today Is Yesterday"|
- Manfred Villes
- Necrony – guest vocals, guitars, compositions (under the alias "Day Disyraah")
- Second Sky
- Schecht + Akerfeldt + Swanö '98
- The Lucky Seven
- The Project Hate MCMXCIX – producer on Cybersonic Superchrist. Mixing and Mastering on Deadmarch: Initiation of Blasphemy, Armageddon March Eternal – Symphonies of Slit Wrists, In Hora Mortis Nostræ, and The Lustrate Process
- Ulan Bator
- "Ratsit – Gratis upplysning pĺ företag och privatpersoner". Ratsit.se. Archived from the original on 4 October 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Ankeny, Jason. "Biography: Bloodbath". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Witherscape: Releases". Witherscape.com. Archived from the original on 18 August 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Century Media Records: Witherscape". Century Media Records. Archived from the original on 3 August 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- Special: The Big Cosmos (with Dan Swanö) - Wir und ELANE, retrieved 31 May 2021
- Who is who in Lithuania, UAB Neolitas, 1997, p, 75.
- Not to be confused with the Athens-based Unisound Records.
- Nicolas Bénard, Robert Culat, Katatonia : Sous un ciel de plomb, Camion Blanc, 2015, "Environnement technique."
- CoC : Katatonia : Interview : 8/12/2001 Archived 28 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Chroniclesofchaos.com. Retrieved on 25 July 2016.
- "Dan Swanö comments on the next album release". UltimateMetal.com. 21 February 2011. Archived from the original on 14 November 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Dag Swanö - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". Metal-archives.com. Archived from the original on 30 April 2019. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Aeon: New Album Title Announced". Blabbermouth.net. 17 February 2010. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Aephanemer - Mixing/Producer : Dan Swanö". Blabbermouth.net. 17 February 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "ANCIENT ASCENDANT To Release 'Into The Dark' In August". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 7 June 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "Unisound". Unisound.se. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Unisound". Unisound.se. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Evocation Prepares To Record New Album". Blabbermouth.net. 24 January 2010. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Beyond the Self". Fractalgates.bandcamp.com. Archived from the original on 2 July 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Unisound". www.unisound.se.
- "Spectral Carnage, by Gravecarver".
- "Gorath Parts Ways With Drummer, Announces Replacement". Blabbermouth.net. 27 December 2009. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Hail of Bullets Putting Finishing Touches on New Album". Blabbermouth.net. 13 March 2010. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Century Media Records - Insomnium: : new album and book "Winter's Gate" to be released September 23rd, 2016!". Centurymedia.com. Archived from the original on 5 October 2016. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Official Mechanization Web Site > Discography". Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "MOTOROWL: NEW ALBUM "OM GENERATOR"". Century Media Records. 26 June 2016. Archived from the original on 5 January 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Novembers Doom: A Eulogy For The Living Lost Video Released". Blabbermouth.net. 16 February 2010. Archived from the original on 18 February 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Odyssey: Reinventing The Past Artwork Unveiled". Blabbermouth.net. 1 March 2010. Archived from the original on 4 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Odyssey (EP, 1999) & Reinventing the Past (Album, 2010)
- "About Proserpine". Proserpineband.com. Archived from the original on 5 March 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2010.
- "Albumit | Rytmihäiriö". Surmacore.com. Archived from the original on 12 July 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Легенды большого города" (Russian spelling for "Legends of a big city")
- Forever More (EP)"Dan Swanö Mastering Somnae Forevermore E.P." Myspace.com. Archived from the original on 26 December 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- "Second World Out Now". The Foreshadowing.com. Archived from the original on 26 December 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Torture Division: Evighetens Dårar II Demo Details Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. 2 March 2010. Archived from the original on 4 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Dan Swanö Issues Update on Second Sky Project". Blabbermouth.net. 4 February 2010. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "The Project Hate MCMXCIX Announces Lineup Changes". Blabbermouth.net. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2010.