Trachtenberg on location, shooting The Totally Rad Show, 2007
May 11, 1981|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Occupation||Director, writer, podcast host|
|Spouse(s)||Priscilla (Hernandez) Trachtenberg|
Dan Trachtenberg (born May 11, 1981) is an American filmmaker and podcast host. Born into a Jewish family, he cites Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby and the Kabbalistic idea of the Golem as formative influences on his desire to become a director. He directed the 2016 horror-thriller film 10 Cloverfield Lane.
Trachtenberg was one of three hosts of The Totally Rad Show podcast and was a former co-host of the Geekdrome podcast. He also directed episodes for the Ctrl+Alt+Chicken podcast. All three programs were hosted at Revision3.
Trachtenberg is also the director of the 2011 short film Portal: No Escape, an episode of Black Mirror entitled "Playtest" and the director of various television commercials and public service announcements.
He is slated to direct the series premiere episode of The Boys, which will air in 2019.
Trachtenberg has directed commercials for Lexus, Nike, and Coca-Cola. In 2003, he directed the short film Kickin'. In April, 2008, he joined Tight Films, for which he collaborated with Matt Wolf on an alternate reality game for Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
He directed the internet show, Ctrl+Alt+Chicken.
In March 2011, Trachtenberg released a short film for BlackBoxTV titled More Than You Can Chew, starring J. Kristopher, Skye Marshall and Ian Hamrick. Trachtenberg co-wrote the story with Mark D. Walker.
On April 3, 2014, Ain't It Cool News announced that Trachtenberg would direct a film for Bad Robot Productions titled Valencia, which was later revealed to be a code name for 10 Cloverfield Lane. On January 15, 2016, the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane was released. Producer J. J. Abrams said about the film, "The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible."
On April 30, 2018, it was announced that Dan Trachtenberg would direct the first episode of the Amazon series The Boys, based on the Garth Ennis comic book series. He replaces Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg who dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.
Upcoming feature film projects include Space Race, The Secret Life of Houdini and Crime of the Century.
|2011||Portal: No Escape||No||Yes||No||Short film|
|2012||More Than You Can Chew||Yes||Yes||No||Short film|
|2016||10 Cloverfield Lane||No||Yes||No|
|Black Mirror||No||Yes||No||Episode: "Playtest"|
|2019||The Boys||No||Yes||No||Premiere Episode|
|TBA||Untitled Harry Houdini film||No||Yes||No||Feature film|
- Rachel Kurland, Scare Tactics Pay off for Cheltenham’s Dan Trachtenberg. The Jewish Exponent. March 14, 2016. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- "Danny T, Russell Make tight Connection". SHOOTonline.com. Archived from the original on October 20, 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Dan Trachtenberg on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Hart, Hugh (10 January 2013). "Portal: No Escape Director Snags Y: The Last Man Movie". Wired. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Portal: No Escape Helmer Dan Trachtenberg To Direct Sci-fi Heist Movie 'Crime of the Century' For Universal". /Film. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Breaking: Dan Trachtenberg To Direct Y: The Last Man". iFanboy. January 9, 2013. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "The Y: The Last Man Movie Is Dead Again; Dan Trachtenberg Talks About the Adaptation". /Film. September 25, 2014. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Dan Trachtenberg will no longer be making his debut with Y:The Last Man and will instead direct Valencia for Bad Robot!". Ain't It Cool News. April 3, 2014. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- Chitwood, Adam (January 14, 2016). "10 Cloverfield Lane Is the Title of J.J. Abrams' Secret Bad Robot Movie". Collider.com. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Sciretta, Peter (January 14, 2016). "Bad Robot's 10 Cloverfield Lane Trailer: Is This Cloverfield 2?". /Film. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (April 30, 2018). "'The Boys': Dan Trachtenberg To Direct First Episode Of Superhero Drama Series For Amazon". Deadline. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike. "Daniel Trachtenberg In Talks For Lionsgate's Houdini Film". Deadline.com. Retrieved 29 November 2016.