The Dana/Spicer Model 35 is an automotive axle manufactured by Dana Holding Corporation since 1985 when American Motors (AMC) sold its axle tooling equipment to Dana. The axle was originally named an AMC-15 when it was first made in 1962. Dana upgraded the axle, and made IFS and Twin Traction Beam front axle variations, as well.
The Dana 35 (as well as the AMC-15) is found in a wide variety of vehicles. The most common Dana 35 applications are as a rear axle in the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, and Jeep Comanche and as a front axle in the Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger. It is "reliable in day-to-day street use, but notoriously the opposite when worked hard."
As the AMC-15 it was used in many AMC car applications, most commonly with four and six cylinder engines.
- Ring Gear measures 7.5 inches (191 mm)
- OEM Inner axle shaft spline count: 27
- Pinion shaft splines: 26
- Rear axle ratios range from 2.21:1 to 4.88:1
- TTB axle ratios range from 3.07:1 to 4.88:1
- IFS axle ratios range from 3.08:1 to 5:13:1
- Carrier break: 2.21 - 3.31:1 and 3.55 - 4.88:1
- Axle Shaft diameter
- Rear 1.09 inches (28 mm) (30 Spline)
- Ring and Pinion gear sets for Jeep Dana 35 rear applications can be used in Ford Ranger IFS (Dana 35) front axles. http://www.4wheelparts.com lists the Spicer gear sets for both versions of this axle as the same part number.
Independent front suspension (IFS) Dana 35 axle
Throughout the 1990s Ford used the Dana 35 as a front axle in both TTB and full IFS variations. These units also follow Ford's tradition of using high pinion, reverse cut units. Dodge used this front axle only for a few years in Dakotas and Durangos.
- GAWR up to 2900 lbs depending on variation and set up.
Rear Dana 35 solid axle
The Dana 35 is used extensively in the Jeep models. This axle had a GAWR up to 2700 lbs.
Available Gear Ratios
There were many ratios offered over the lifetime of the Dana 35/AMC 15.
The AMC 15 saw use in many AMC model vehicles.
- 1997-2000 Dakota
- 1997-2000 Durango
- 1989.5-1990 Bronco II TTB
- 1990-1997 Explorer TTB
- 1998-2005 Explorer IFS
- 1990-1997 Ranger TTB
- 1998-2012 Ranger IFS
- 1984-1997 Jeep Wagoneer
- 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee
- 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- 1986-1992 Jeep Comanche
- 1987-1995 Jeep YJ Wrangler Note: there was no 96 model.
- 1997-2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler *option Dana 44 rear and Rubicon's had Dana 44's
- 2007 only some early Jeep JK 2 door Wranglers had Dana 35 non c-clip axles.
- 2001-2007 Jeep Liberty
- Allen, Jim (2007). Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook. MotorBooks/MBI Publishing. p. 101. ISBN 978-0-7603-2687-9.
- Allen, Jim (2004). Jeep (Collector's Library). MotorBooks/MBI Publishing. p. 179. ISBN 978-0-7603-1979-6. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Group 9 Axles -- Propeller Shafts". AMC Eagle Nest. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- AMC 1980 Technical Service Manual. American Motors Corporation. 1980.
- Incomplete list. Common applications only.