Bash recording a piece for CNN in Manchester, N.H., on January 10, 2012
|Born||Dana Ruth Schwartz
June 15, 1971
Montvale, New Jersey
|Education||Pascack Hills High School, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||The George Washington University|
|Occupation||Reporter and anchorwoman|
|Notable credit(s)||Everett McKinley Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting of Congress from National Press Foundation|
|Spouse(s)||Jeremy Bash (1998-2007)
John King (2008-12)
|Children||1 (with King)|
Dana ("DAN-ah") Bash (born Dana Ruth Schwartz; June 15, 1971) is an American journalist and anchorwoman for CNN who currently acts as the network's chief political correspondent and occasional anchorwoman. Previous to this assignment, she was a White House and Capitol Hill correspondent for the network.
Bash was born in Montvale, New Jersey, the daughter of Frances (née Weinman) and Stu Schwartz. Her father is an ABC News producer who is currently the senior broadcast producer of ABC News, based at Good Morning America. Her family is Jewish, and her mother is an author and educator in Jewish studies. She has a brother, David Schwartz, who is a New York City-based video producer.
Bash was educated at Pascack Hills High School, a public high school in her hometown of Montvale, New Jersey. She graduated cum laude with her bachelor's degree in political communications from George Washington University.
After college, she joined CNN as Dana Schwartz. Before becoming an on-air reporter, she was a producer for CNN on Capitol Hill, specializing in coverage of the U.S. Senate. Previous to that assignment, she produced for CNN's weekend programs, Late Edition, Evans & Novak, and Inside Politics.
Bash has been married twice. In 1998, she married U.S. military insider Jeremy Bash; they divorced in 2007. On May 25, 2008, Bash married fellow CNN correspondent John King, who converted to Judaism prior to marrying her. Bash and King have a son, Jonah Frank King, born in June 2011. In March 2012, it was announced that Bash and King had separated.
Awards and honors
- "Celebrities | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California". Jweekly.com. 2008-04-18. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Jewish Women's International Magazine: "10 Women to watch: "Dana Bash" By Susan Josephs retrieved November 1, 2015
- Holahan, Catherine "CNN assigns Montvale native to cover White House", The Record (Bergen County), January 2, 2003. Accessed April 29, 2008. "MONTVALE – Dana Bash grew up behind the scenes. And family members say it was just a matter of time before the Pascack Hills High School graduate and newest CNN White House correspondent was in front of them."
- "Weddings; Dana Schwartz, Jeremy Bash". The New York Times. September 6, 1998. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Huffington Post: "CIA Has a Bash, Jeremy Bash" by Jeff Stein April 3, 2009
- Washington Examiner: "Bash, King s king-sized bash to take place on Cape Cod" March 26, 2008
- "Love, etc.: CNN's Dana Bash and John King welcome son". The Washington Post. June 29, 2011.
- "John King and Dana Bash separate; CNN stars were married four years". Washington Post. March 20, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Watters, Susan (26 March 2014). "Gucci and Elle Honor Women in Washington Power List". WWD. Retrieved 28 March 2014.