Bash recording a piece for CNN in Manchester, N.H., on January 10, 2012
Dana Ruth Schwartz
June 15, 1971
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Pascack Hills High School|
|Alma mater||George Washington University|
|Everett McKinley Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting of Congress from National Press Foundation|
|Home town||Montvale, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Jeremy Bash (m. 1998–2007) |
John King (m. 2008–12)
|Children||1 (with King)|
Early life and education
Bash was born to a Reform Jewish family in Manhattan. Her father was an ABC News producer who served as the senior broadcast producer for Good Morning America and her mother was an author and educator in Jewish studies.
Bash attended Pascack Hills High School in Montvale, New Jersey. She graduated cum laude with her bachelor's degree in political communications from George Washington University. While at college, she interned at NBC, CBS, and CNN. On May 12, 2018, Bash received an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Franklin Pierce University in Rindge, New Hampshire.
After college, Bash joined CNN as a producer of their weekend programs such as Late Edition, Evans & Novak, and Inside Politics. Later she began producing programming specializing in coverage of the U.S. Senate.
Bash was married to former CIA Chief of Staff Jeremy Bash from 1998 to 2007. In 2008 she married fellow CNN correspondent John King. Bash gave birth to a son in June 2011 and separated from her husband in 2012.
- Jewish Standard: "News from a Jersey girl - CNN’s Dana Bash talks at a benefit for the Academies at Gerrard Berman Day School" by Joanne Palmer May 1, 2015
- Jewish Women Magazine: "10 Women to watch: "Dana Bash" By Susan Josephs[permanent dead link] retrieved November 1, 2015
- "Celebrities | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California". Jweekly.com. April 18, 2008. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Holahan, Catherine "CNN assigns Montvale native to cover White House", The Record (Bergen County), January 2, 2003. Accessed April 29, 2008. "MONTVALE – Dana Bash grew up behind the scenes. And family members say it was just a matter of time before the Pascack Hills High School graduate and newest CNN White House correspondent was in front of them."
- Watters, Susan (March 26, 2014). "Gucci and Elle Honor Women in Washington Power List". WWD. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "Weddings; Dana Schwartz, Jeremy Bash". The New York Times. September 6, 1998. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- Huffington Post: "CIA Has a Bash, Jeremy Bash" by Jeff Stein April 3, 2009
- Washington Examiner: "Bash, King s king-sized bash to take place on Cape Cod" March 26, 2008
- "Love, etc.: CNN's Dana Bash and John King welcome son". The Washington Post. June 29, 2011.
- "John King and Dana Bash separate; CNN stars were married four years". Washington Post. March 20, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2012.