Dana L. Christensen
|Dana Lewis Christensen|
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana|
|Assumed office |
March 19, 2013
|Preceded by||Richard F. Cebull|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana|
|Assumed office |
December 6, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Donald W. Molloy|
|Born||Dana Lewis Christensen|
March 23, 1951
New York City, New York
|Education||Stanford University (B.A.)|
University of Montana School of Law (J.D.)
Dana Lewis Christensen (born May 23, 1951) is the Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana.
Early life and education
Christensen has worked in private practice at various firms in Montana since 1977. He has been a civil litigator and a named partner at a firm in Kalispell, Montana since 1996. Among other things, he worked in the area of insurance defense.
Federal judicial service
On May 4, 2011, President Obama nominated Christensen to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of Montana that was vacated by Judge Donald W. Molloy, who assumed senior status in August 2011. Christensen's nomination was reported from the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on October 6, 2011. The Senate confirmed his nomination on December 5, 2011 by voice vote. He received his commission on December 6, 2011. He became Chief Judge on March 19, 2013.
In late August 2018, Christensen placed a 14-day hold on grizzly bear hunting in Wyoming and Idaho after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lifted federal protections for grizzlies in Yellowstone National Park areas in 2017. On September 24, 2018, Christensen released a 48-page ruling restoring the protections and cancelling the hunts altogether, citing that Fish & Wildlife's analysis of the threats to grizzly bears was lacking and that they "failed to make a reasoned decision" in considering the impact of delisting the Yellowstone grizzlies from protected species status.
- "Dana L. Christensen". lawyers.com. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 4, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Six Judges to United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- "Christensen, Dana Lewis – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Scott, Tristan (February 12, 2011). "Kalispell attorney Dana Christensen nominated to replace Judge Molloy". Missoulian. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 4, 2011). "Nominations Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Associated Press. "Judges halts first grizzly bear hunt in over 40 years in Wyoming, Idaho". NBC News. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Stelloh, Tim. "Federal judge restores grizzly protections, canceling bear hunt". NBC News. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Dana L. Christensen at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Dana Christensen at Ballotpedia
Donald W. Molloy
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana
Richard F. Cebull
| Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Montana|