Dana Levin (poet)
Dana Levin, photo by Anne Staveley
|Alma mater||Pitzer College;
New York University.
Dana Levin (born 1965) is a poet and teaches Creative Writing each Fall at Maryville University in St. Louis, where she serves as Distinguished Writer in Residence. She also teaches in the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers. She lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Her first book, In the Surgical Theatre, was published by American Poetry Review (Copper Canyon Press) in 1999; it went on to receive nearly every award available to first books and emerging poets. Copper Canyon brought out her second book, Wedding Day, in 2005 and her third, Sky Burial, in 2011. The Los Angeles Times says of her work, "Dana Levin's poems are extravagant...her mind keeps making unexpected connections and the poems push beyond convention...they surprise us."
- 1999 National Endowment for the Arts Grant
- 2000 John C. Zacharis First Book Award
- 2003 PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry, In the Surgical Theatre
- 2004 Rona Jaffe Writers Award
- 2004 Witter Bynner Fellowship from the Library of Congress
- 2005 Whiting Award for poetry
- 2007 Guggenheim Fellowship in Poetry
- In the surgical theatre: poems. American Poetry Review. 1999. ISBN 978-0-9663395-2-9.
- Wedding day. Copper Canyon Press. 2005. ISBN 978-1-55659-219-5.
- Sky Burial. Copper Canyon Press. 2011. ISBN 978-1-55659-219-5.
- Michael Dumanis, Cate Marvin, eds. (2006). Legitimate dangers: American poets of the new century. Sarabande Books. ISBN 978-1-932511-29-1.
- Joan Murray, eds. (2006). The Pushcart Book of Poetry. Pushcart Press. ISBN 978-1-888889-34-5.
- Gerald Costanzo, Jim Daniels, eds. (2000). American poetry: the next generation. Carnegie Mellon University Press. ISBN 978-0-88748-343-1.
- Review of In the Surgical Theatre at Rain Taxi, by Melanie Figg;Review of In the Surgical Theatre at Free Verse, by Dr. Kathleen Washburn; Review of In the Surgical Theatre at Boston Review, by Reginald Shepherd.
- http://www.constantcritic.com/ray_mcdaniel/wedding_day/ Review of Wedding Day at Constant Critic]; Review of Wedding Day at Slope
- Starred Review of Sky Burial at Publishers Weekly; Review of Sky Burial at Boston Review; Review of Sky Burial at The New Yorker.