|Born||June 30, 1966|
|Other names||Liz Penn|
|Education||Vassar College (BA) |
University of California, Berkeley (PhD)
|Notable credit(s)||Slate magazine, Culture Gabfest|
Dana Shawn Stevens (born June 30, 1966) is an American film critic who writes for Slate. She is also a cohost of the magazine's weekly cultural podcast, the Culture Gabfest. She is the author of a 2022 book about Buster Keaton and the 20th century titled Camera Man: Buster Keaton, the Dawn of Cinema, and the Invention of the Twentieth Century.
Life and career
Stevens grew up in Scarsdale, New York; and San Antonio, Texas. She graduated from Vassar College and attained a doctorate in comparative literature from UC Berkeley in 2001 with a dissertation on Fernando Pessoa: A Local Habitation and a Name: Heteronymy and Nationalism in the works of Fernando Pessoa.
She joined Slate in mid-2003, writing the magazine's Surfergirl column on television and pop-culture. Before joining Slate she wrote under the pseudonym "Liz Penn" on her own (now-defunct) website/blog called the High Sign. She has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post Book World, Bookforum, and The Atlantic and has appeared on several occasions on Charlie Rose and The Brian Lehrer Show. She is a regular on Slate's Culture Gabfest.
- "Dana Stevens". Slate Magazine. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- Metcalf, Stephen; Stevens, Dana; Turner, Julia (2017-10-04). "The Culture Gabfest "Too Good to Last" Edition". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Dana Stevens (@thehighsign) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- Roth, Gabriel; Stevens, Dana (2016-10-13). "Looking Back at Vaudeville's Buster Keaton". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- Camera Man. Simon & Schuster. 2022-01-25. ISBN 978-1-5011-3419-7.
- "Liz Penn, Writer/TV Critic". Gothamist. Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2011.
- "Extract, film review podcast @3:00min". Spoiler Special Podcast. Slate.com. September 3, 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Stevens, Dana (20 Mar 2012). "ladiesofboston @thehighsign is this u Dana from Boston?". Twitter.com. @thehighsign. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
ladiesofboston: @thehighsign is this u Dana from Boston? Dana Stevens:@ladiesofboston Nope, wrong Dana. I'm from San Antonio, Texas.
- "Who We Are". Slate. Archived from the original on June 23, 2011. Retrieved June 20, 2011.
- "Dana Stevens". Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- Stevens, Dana (September 18, 2007). "Films of Atonement". Jewcy. Retrieved June 21, 2011.