Aerial view of Danao
Map of Cebu with Danao highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||5th district of Cebu|
|Cityhood||7 June 1961|
|Barangay||42 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Panlungsod|
|• Mayor||Ramon Durano III (LP)|
|• Vice mayor||Ramon Durano VI|
|• City Council|
|• Total||107.30 km2 (41.43 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||86,085|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||3rd class|
Danao is a third income class component city in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 136,471. In the 2016 election, it had 86,085 registered voters.
Danao City comprises 42 barangays:
- Sandayong Norte
- Sandayong Sur
- Santa Rosa
- Tuburan Sur
|Population census of Danao|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Danao gun industry
Danao City is well known for its gun industry. The industry started around 1905–1906. When World War II came, the Danao gunsmiths went underground, joined the guerrilla movement or were inducted into the USAFFE. Their main task was to re-chamber the Japanese Arisaka rifles to fit the US .30 caliber round or to keep the original Japanese rifle in good service.
The industry went on, still underground. In the 1960s, the term paltik was given to the homemade (and illegal) guns. In the early 1990s the industry was legalized by the government, with the creation of two organizations of local gunsmiths. The organization now left with proper permit is Workers League of Danao Multi-purpose Cooperative (World MPC), in Dungguan, Danao City.
- "City". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Municipal: Danao, Cebu". PSA. Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- PSA; Census of Population (2015), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay, retrieved 20 June 2016
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- Sun–Star 2005.
- PSA; Census of Population (2010), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay, retrieved 29 June 2016
- NSO; Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007), "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)", Total Population by Province, City and Municipality, archived from the original on 24 June 2011
- Rama 2007.
- Sun–Star 2004.
- Rama, Karlon N. (24 April 2007). "Boboy and Danao's thunder things". Archived from the original on October 14, 2008. Retrieved 6 October 2007.
- Sun–Star, Oscar C. Pineda (20 January 2004). "Danao's gunmakers seek government aid". Archived from the original on February 7, 2004.
- Sun–Star (8 October 2005). "RDC enlarges Metro Cebu". Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danao.|