|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Official||Magadhi, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
Danapur Cantonment (Hindi: दानापुर कैंटोनमेंट, Urdu: دِنا پور کینٹونمینٹ) ) or Danapur Cantt a cantonment town in Patna District in the state of Bihar, India. Danapur is a category II Cantonment, established in 1765. The Board consists of 14 members including 7 elected members. Danapur cantonment located on the outskirts of Patna is the second oldest cantonment in India, after Barrackpur Cantonment, West Bengal. Danapur is the regimental centre of Bihar Regiment (BRC). It was earlier called Bankipore Cantonment. Initially, it was set up at Bankipore but later set up in Danapur area(then known as Dinapore) in 1766-67.
It is one of the oldest European cantonments in the region. It was the only white cantonment of the East India Company between at one point of time. It was the largest military cantonment in Bengal, with accommodation for two batteries of artillery, a European and a native infantry regiment.
As of 2001[update] India census, Danapur Cantonment had a population of 28,149. Males constitute 56% of the population and females 44%. Danapur Cantonment has an average literacy rate of 71%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77% and, female literacy is 63%. In Danapur Cantonment, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- "Book, scheduled to hit stores next month, will throw light on how the military establishment came into being".
- Danapur Directorate General Defence Estates
- Danapur cantt hosts 6K migratory birds this year The Times of India. Retrieved Oct 26, 2012
- "Danapur cantt celebrates 250 yrs".
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article related to a location in Bihar is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|