Dance, Dance, Dance (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Dance, Dance, Dance"|
|Single by The Beach Boys|
|from the album Today!|
|B-side||"The Warmth of the Sun"|
|Released||October 26, 1964|
|Recorded||October 9, 1964|
|Writer(s)||Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love|
|The Beach Boys singles chronology|
"Dance, Dance, Dance" is a song composed by Brian and Carl Wilson with lyrics by Brian Wilson and Mike Love for the American rock band the Beach Boys. It was first released as a single in 1964 backed with "The Warmth of the Sun" and was released the following year as the sixth track on the Beach Boys' eighth studio album, The Beach Boys Today! "Dance, Dance, Dance" marks Carl Wilson's first recognised writing contribution to a Beach Boys single, his contribution being the song's primary guitar riff and solo.
The single peaked at number eight in the US and number 24 in the UK It was also number seven on Canada's national RPM chart, number six in Sweden, and in France was their fourth song to place on the Jukebox chart.
Across the States, the single tended to be held out of the top five of regional playlists by a log-jam of British Invasion acts, and burst through to number one only in Washington DC (WKMC), San Jose and Providence. It was number three in San Diego, and number four in San Francisco, Dallas, Hartford, the Albany Tri-Cities and Newark.
The song was originally released in mono, while a remixed stereo version was released on the compilation Hawthorne, CA. An early version of the song, with different lyrics and arrangement, appears as a bonus track on the Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) two-fer CD.
- The Beach Boys
- Al Jardine – backing and harmony vocals; rhythm guitar
- Mike Love – lead, backing and harmony vocals
- Brian Wilson – backing and harmony vocals; bass guitar
- Carl Wilson – backing and harmony vocals; lead guitar (twelve-string)
- Dennis Wilson – backing and harmony vocals; drums
- Additional musicians
- Hal Blaine – sleigh bells, triangle, tambourine, castanets
- Glen Campbell – acoustic guitar
- Steve Douglas – tenor saxophone
- Carl Fortina – accordion
- Jay Migliori – baritone saxophone
- Ray Pohlman – electric bass guitar
|Canadian RPM Singles Chart||7|
|Swedish Singles Chart||6|
|UK Singles Chart||24|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||8|
The song has been played many times over the years, sometimes in a medley format with "Do You Wanna Dance?", another Beach Boys song from the Today! album. Despite being a live staple in Beach Boys setlists throughout the 2000s during the 50th Anniversary Tour the song was played only 11 times and in its original structure.
- Wilson Phillips – featuring Brian Wilson's daughters Carnie and Wendy – covered the song for their album California.
- Big Time Rush did a cover of this song on the special "Big Time Beach Party"
- The song was recorded and released by Jan & Dean on their 1982 album, One Summer Night/Live.
- Craig Slowinski (2007). "The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Today!" (PDF). Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Swedish Singles Charts". mountvernonandfairway.de. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- "Beach Boys". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "The Beach Boys awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "The Beach Boys Tour Statistics: 50th Anniversary Reunion Tour". Setlist.fm. Retrieved 2016-09-27.