Dance Dance Immolation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dance Dance Immolation was an interactive performance piece by fire art group Interpretive Arson based out of the artist work space known as NIMBY in East Oakland. It is a modified version of Dance Dance Revolution where players are shot with fire if they perform poorly. Participants are not harmed since they wear a fire proximity suit with forced-air respirators. Numerous other safeguards are built into the system to ensure the players are not subject to direct flame exposure or inhalation of superheated air. The piece was premiered in 2005 and ran at various festivals and private events internationally. It was retired in 2013 at Burning Man, where all the components were gathered into a pile and a piano was dropped on it.
Members of Interpretive Arson began the project in 2005, when they received a grant from BORG2, an offshoot of artists associated with the West Coast art festival Burning Man. The game first premiered at the The Crucible's Fire Arts Festival in Oakland, California, before the current version, a full two-player game, was completed and installed at Burning Man in 2005. The game reappeared at Burning Man 2006 and 2007, and occasionally in Interpretive Arson's warehouse in Oakland, until 2007. In 2009 Dance Dance Immolation appeared at Smukfest in Denmark.
In 2013, Dance Dance Immolation was taken back out to the Burning Man festival for its final run. It was, at the end of the week, destroyed by dropping a piano on it.
Press and Awards
- San Francisco Bay Guardian Best of The Bay 2009, Arts and Nightlife
- Wired 14.11 (November 2006), "Disco Inferno"
- Boing Boing TV May 2009, "Dance Dance Revolution. With Flamethrowers. Pointed at You."
- "Interpretive Arson". interpretivearson.com.
- Hix, Lisa (July 5, 2007). "Burning to play". Hearst Communications Inc. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "The Crucible homepage". thecrucible.org.
- "DDI History". Interpretive Arson website. Interpretive Arson. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "Burning Man: What is Burning Man?: 2006: theme camps". Archived from the original on 2008-01-11.
- "Burning Man: What is Burning Man?: 2007: theme camps". Archived from the original on 2007-11-06.
- Sorrel, Charlie (June 6, 2007). "Dance Dance Immolation. Exactly what you Think it is.". wired.com. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "200908-Dance Dance Immolation at Smukfest". flickr.com.
- Farokhmanesh, Megan (20 October 2013). "Fiery Dance Dance Revolution adaptation retired" – via www.polygon.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-18. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
|This music video game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|