Dance India Dance
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2014)|
|Dance Indian Dance|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||130*|
|Location(s)||Auditions: New Delhi, Mumbai, Baroda, Dehradun, Kolkata, Indore, Bengaluru|
|Running time||1–3 hours|
|Original network||Zee TV|
|Picture format||480p (SDTV)
|Original release||30 January 2009– present|
Dance India Dance is an Indian dance competition show that airs on Zee TV, produced by UTV Software Communications. The show is the national TV version of the Zee Bangla dance reality show Dance Bangla Dance which also has Mithun Chakraborty as the Grandmaster.
The show first premiered on 30 January 2009. The first season was hosted by Tarana Raja; since the second season it has been hosted by actors Saumya Tandon and Jay Bhanushali. The show features a format where dancers from a variety of styles enter open auditions held in Indian metropolitan cities to showcase their unique style and talents and, if allowed to move forward, then are put through mega-audition rounds of auditions to test their ability to adapt to different styles. At the end of mega audition, top 18 dancers are chosen as finalists who move on to compete in the competition's main phase where they will perform solo, duet and group dance numbers in a variety of styles in competition for the votes of the broadcast viewing audience which, combined with the input of a panel of judges, determines which dancers will advance to the next stage from week to week.
The show features a variety of Indian cultural and international dance styles ranging across a broad spectrum of classical, contemporary, Bollywood, hip-hop, jazz, Kalaripayattu, Salsa, Samba and musical theatre styles, amongst others, with many subgenres within these categories represented. Competitors attempt to master these styles in an attempt to survive successive weeks of elimination and win a cash prize (typically Rs 50 Lakh) and often other awards, as well as the title of "India's Best Dancer". The show is choreographed by Indian choreographers, such as Terence Lewis, Remo D'Souza, Geeta Kapoor and Mudassar Khan. The show has won several Television Awards for "Most Popular Dance Reality Show".
The show gathers raw talent aged 15 to 25 from all over India. Once chosen, the contestants are trained by professional Bollywood choreographers. Thereafter the participants compete against each other. Some of the dance forms that are taught to the contestants are ballet, acrobatics, shadow dancing, mid-air dancing, Broadway theatre, contemporary, Bollywood, Latin, ballroom, and hip-hop.
The contestants perform before a panel of judges composed of Terrence Lewis, Remo d'souza and Geeta Kapoor. The selection of the season's Top 18 live show finalists are overseen by head judge Mithun Chakraborty.
Selection of finalists
The selection process can be further broken down into two distinct stages: the open auditions and a second phase referred to as the 'Mega Auditions'. The open auditions take place in 5–6 major Indian cities and are typically open to anyone aged 15–30 at the time of their audition. The cities in which auditions are held varies from season to season but some, such as New Delhi and Mumbai, have featured in almost every season. During this stage, dancers perform a brief routine (typically individually) before a panel of dance experts. This panel will then make an on-the-spot decision as to whether the dancer demonstrated enough ability . If the dancer impressed the Judges with his/her dancing abilities, judges will award a "Dancing Superstar ki Topi" (Hat of Dancing Superstar), moving them instantly one step forward in the competition.
The second stage of the selection process, the "Mega Auditions", is a several-day-long process in which the remaining hopefuls are tested for overall well-rounded dance ability, stamina, and their ability to perform under pressure. The dancers are put through a battery of rounds which test their ability to pick up various dance styles (typically some of the more well-represented genres that will later be prominent in the competition phase, such as Hip-Hop, Bollywood Dance, Jazz, Bharat Natyam, Kathak, Mohiniyattam, Odissi and Contemporary). At the end of this process, only Top 18 competitors will be chosen. then, Those Top 18 got divided into 3 groups of dancers which is named according to the 3 judges of the show like, Mudassar ki Mandali, Firoz ki Fauj, Shruti ki Shaandaar, Terence Ki Toli, Geeta Ki Gang and Remo Ke Rangeeley. Each Group containing 6 Dancers, then compete in the show with learning new skills throughout the Journey .
The finale of the first season aired on 30 May 2009. The winner was Salman Yusuff Khan with Alisha Singh named first runner-up
For the 2010 season, the winner was Shakti Mohan . Dharmesh Yelande was named first runner-up.
The fourth season's choreographers included Mudassar Khan Feroz Khan and Shruti Merchant. The Bollywood actor, Mithun Chakraborty is the grandmaster of the show. The Show was won by 17-year-old Shyam Yadav of Mumbai.
Dance Ke Superstars
Dance Ke Superstars featured contestants from the first two seasons to compete against each other. The show was judged by choreographer, Remo D'Souza, Shiamak Davar and features a guest judge every week. Team jalwa won the series.
Dance India Dance Super Mom
The second season started in March 2015.
DID Dance Ka Tashan
DID Dance Ka Tashan featured contestants from Dance India Dance Super Moms competing against contestants from Dance India Dance Li'l Masters 2. The show aired in November 2013 and was judged by choreographer Ahmed Khan and Geeta Kapoor and hosted by Rithvik Dhanjani.
Dance India Dance Li'l Masters
The third season began broadcasting on 1 March 2014. Geeta Kapoor, Ahmad Khan and Mudassar Khan were judges, along with Sanam Johar, Raghav Crockroaz Juyal, Rahul Shetty and Paul Marshal Cardoz and the DID 4 contestant, Swarali Karulkar, as skippers. Teriya Magar was declared the winner.
Dance Ke Superkids - Battle of the Baaps! featured contestants from the first two seasons of DID L'iL Masters. It was judged by Geeta Kapoor, Farah Khan and Marzi Pestonji and hosted by Jay Bhanushali and Shreya Acharya.
Dance India Dance Lil Masters North America Edition - Auditions were conducted in April 2014 with over 10,000 contestants auditioning from all across US, Canada and Europe. Out of them 10 contestants were chosen and were flown to Mumbai, India to compete in the finals. The winner was Akhil and the second winner was Avantika Vandanapu.
Dance India Dance Doubles
The shows consisted of 12 finalist couples. The Grand Finale was scheduled for filming 7 April 2011 at the Andheri Sports Complex for broadcast on 9 April 2011. Amit and Falon were voted the winners of the season.
- "Dance India Dance Season 3 15th April *Akshay Kumar* | Dance India Dance". Danceindiadance.in. 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- Smitha. "Akshay Kumar gifts Rs 1 lakh to Dance India Dance Season 3 finalists". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Dance India Dance gets Magical — Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Akshay Kumar on Dance India Dance — Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-04-12. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Dance India Dance 7th April *Super Six Contestants* | Dance India Dance". Danceindiadance.in. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- Gupta, Rahul. "Now watch Dance India Dance on mobiles". Themobileindian.com. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- New judges on Dance India Dance - Times Of India
- This season, 'DID' will touch new level: Mudassar Khan - Times Of India
- Salman Khan's discovery to judge Dance India Dance 4?
- Dance India Dance 4 to have new judges | NDTV Movies.com
- "17 Year Old Shyam Yadav of Mumbai wins Dance India Dance 4". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Meet Mithu Chowdhury who became India's 1st DID Super Mom". Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Faisal Khan Wins 'Dance India Dance Li’L Master' Season 2
- Faisal Khan wins Dance India Dance Li'l Masters Season 2
- Dance India Dance Li'l Masters 3 participants unveiled
- DID L’il Masters — Season 3/ Pocket dynamites
- Geeta Kapoor & Ahmad Khan back with DID L’il Masters Season 3
- Geeta Kapoor, Ahmed Khan return as judges on ‘DID’
- I was scared of judging: Choreographer Ahmad Khan
- This dance show will scare you: Geeta Kapur
- "11 Year Old Teriya Magar wins Dance India Dance L’il Masters’ season 3". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Farah Khan and Geeta Kapoor team up
- These kids will put us elders to shame: Dance 'guru' Geeta Kapur
- "DID Doubles finale not live?". Hindustan Times. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2012-04-18.