Dance at Bougival
|Dance at Bougival|
|Type||Oil paint on canvas|
|Dimensions||181.9 by 98.1 centimetres (71.6 in × 38.6 in)|
|Location||Museum of Fine Arts, Boston|
Dance at Bougival (French: La Danse à Bougival) is an 1883 work by Pierre-Auguste Renoir currently in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America. It has been described as "one of the museum's most beloved works".
The work depicts two of Renoir's friends, Suzanne Valadon and Paul Lhote. The setting is the French village of Bougival, about 15 km from the center of Paris. Many Impressionists including Claude Monet, Alfred Sisley, Berthe Morisot, and Renoir painted scenes there.
The painting has been described as one of Renoir's first reversions to a more classical style of painting he learned copying paintings in the Louvre while maintaining the bright palette of his fellow Impressionists.
The painting was produced to the order of art dealer Paul Durand-Ruel along with two other companion pieces, Dance in the City and Dance in the Country. The three paintings show a couple dancing in different environments.
- Paul Durand-Ruel
- 1894 sold to fr:François Depeaux
- 1906 Edmond Decap (Depeaux's brother-in-law)
- Maurice Barret-Décap
- 1937, Barret-Décap sell it, by Anthony H. Manley, Paris to artdealers Paul Brame (b. 1898 - d. 1971) and fr:César Mange de Hauke, Paris, for Jacques Seligmann et Fils, Paris.
- 1937, transferred to New York and sold to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
- "Danse à Bougival - Boston, Museum of Fine Arts - Pierre Auguste Renoir". Sotheby's. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Museum of Fine Arts Boston - Artwork - Dance at Bougival". Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Sebastian Smee (3 August 2014). "MFA expands loans of well-known works". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 28 August 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- John House, Anne Distel, Lawrence Gowing, Renoir : exposition Hayward Gallery, Londres, 30 janvier-21 avril, 1985, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris, 14 mai-2 septembre, 1985, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 9 octobre-5 janvier, 1986, Hayward Gallery, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais (France), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Réunion des musées nationaux, 1985, ISBN 2711820009, p. 216-218
- "Prospero" (16 February 2012). "Impressionist painting - Sizing up Renoir". The Economist. The Economist Group. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Dance in the City by Pierre Auguste Renoir". Painting-Planet. Retrieved 15 January 2020.