Dancing with the Stars (American season 29)
|Dancing with the Stars|
Promotional poster featuring new host Tyra Banks
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||1|
|Original release||September 14, 2020 –|
Continuing from last season, the couples were not announced in advance and were instead revealed on the season premiere. During The Bachelor: Greatest Seasons - Ever!, season 11's Bachelorette, Kaitlyn Bristowe, was announced as the first celebrity participant. On August 24, 2020, it was reported that AJ McLean, member of Backstreet Boys, would be a celebrity participant as well; McLean was later officially revealed on August 27. On August 29, 2020, it was reported that Anne Heche, Jesse Metcalfe, and Vernon Davis would be celebrity participants in the season. The other celebrity participants were revealed on Good Morning America on September 2.
The season's lineup of fourteen professional dancers was announced on Good Morning America on August 18, 2020, with the fifteenth professional announced on August 24. Ten professionals from last season returned, along with Sharna Burgess, Artem Chigvintsev, and Keo Motsepe, all of whom last competed in season 27. Two new pros were added: Daniella Karagach, previously a featured dancer, and Britt Stewart, a former troupe member, who is the first black female to become a pro. Lindsay Arnold and Witney Carson, who are both pregnant and are due to give birth in November and January respectively, did not return as pros this season.
|Celebrity||Notability (known for)||Professional partner||Status||Ref.|
|Monica Aldama||Cheer star & coach||Valentin Chmerkovskiy||Participating|
|Carole Baskin||Tiger King star & animal activist||Pasha Pashkov||Participating|
|Kaitlyn Bristowe||The Bachelorette star||Artem Chigvintsev||Participating|
|Vernon Davis||Former NFL tight end||Peta Murgatroyd||Participating|
|Anne Heche||Film & television actress||Keo Motsepe||Participating|
|Skai Jackson||Disney Channel actress||Alan Bersten||Participating|
|Justina Machado||Television actress||Sasha Farber||Participating|
|Jeannie Mai||Television host & stylist||Brandon Armstrong||Participating|
|AJ McLean||Backstreet Boys singer||Cheryl Burke||Participating|
|Jesse Metcalfe||Desperate Housewives actor||Sharna Burgess||Participating|
|Nelly||Rapper & singer||Daniella Karagach||Participating|
|Charles Oakley||Former NBA power forward||Emma Slater||Participating|
|Nev Schulman||Catfish host & producer||Jenna Johnson||Participating|
|Chrishell Stause||Actress & reality television star||Gleb Savchenko||Participating|
|Johnny Weir||Olympic figure skater||Britt Stewart||Participating|
Hosts and judges
On July 13, 2020, it was announced that Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews would not be returning as hosts. The next day, it was announced that Tyra Banks was hired as the new host and would also serve as an executive producer. Series judges Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli are all to return for the season.
On September 8, 2020, it was announced that Derek Hough, who appeared as a professional partner in 17 of the show's 29 seasons between seasons five and 23, would be returning to the show to fill in Len Goodman's judging position, due to Goodman being unable to travel with COVID-19 pandemic travel restrictions.
|Monica & Val||19|
|Carole & Pasha||11|
|Kaitlyn & Artem||20|
|Vernon & Peta||17|
|Anne & Keo||18|
|Skai & Alan||21|
|Justina & Sasha||21|
|Jeannie & Brandon||18|
|AJ & Cheryl||18|
|Jesse & Sharna||18|
|Nelly & Daniella||16|
|Charles & Emma||12|
|Nev & Jenna||20|
|Chrishell & Gleb||13|
|Johnny & Britt||18|
- Red numbers indicate the lowest score for each week
- Green numbers indicate the highest score for each week
- the couple eliminated that week
- the returning couple that was the last to be called safe
Average score chart
This table only counts dances scored on a 30-point scale.
|1||Skai & Alan||21||1||21.0|
|1||Justina & Sasha||21||1||21.0|
|3||Kaitlyn & Artem||20||1||20.0|
|3||Nev & Jenna||20||1||20.0|
|5||Monica & Val||19||1||19.0|
|6||Anne & Keo||18||1||18.0|
|6||Jeannie & Brandon||18||1||18.0|
|6||AJ & Cheryl||18||1||18.0|
|6||Jesse & Sharna||18||1||18.0|
|6||Johnny & Britt||18||1||18.0|
|11||Vernon & Peta||17||1||17.0|
|12||Nelly & Daniella||16||1||16.0|
|13||Chrishell & Gleb||13||1||13.0|
|14||Charles & Emma||12||1||12.0|
|15||Carole & Pasha||11||1||11.0|
Highest and lowest scoring performances
The best and worst performances in each dance according to the judges' 30-point scale are as follows:
|Dance||Highest scored dancer(s)||Highest score||Lowest scored dancer(s)||Lowest score|
|Tango||Skai Jackson||21||Chrishell Stause||13|
|Foxtrot||Nev Schulman||20||Vernon Davis||17|
|Cha-cha-cha||Justina Machado||21||Anne Heche
|Salsa||Jeannie Mai||18||Charles Oakley||12|
|Paso doble||Carole Baskin||11|
Couples' highest and lowest scoring dances
Scores are based upon a potential 30-point maximum.
|Couple||Highest scoring dance(s)||Lowest scoring dance(s)|
|Monica & Val||Foxtrot (19)|
|Carole & Pasha||Paso doble (11)|
|Kaitlyn & Artem||Cha-cha-cha (20)|
|Vernon & Peta||Foxtrot (17)|
|Anne & Keo||Cha-cha-cha (18)|
|Skai & Alan||Tango (21)|
|Justina & Sasha||Cha-cha-cha (21)|
|Jeannie & Brandon||Salsa (18)|
|AJ & Cheryl||Jive (18)|
|Jesse & Sharna||Quickstep (18)|
|Nelly & Daniella||Salsa (16)|
|Charles & Emma||Salsa (12)|
|Nev & Jenna||Foxtrot (20)|
|Chrishell & Gleb||Tango (13)|
|Johnny & Britt||Cha-cha-cha (18)|
Week 1: First Dances
For the second time in the show's history, the official partnerships were revealed to the public during the live broadcast.
- Running order
|AJ & Cheryl||18 (6, 6, 6)||Jive||"Blinding Lights"—The Weeknd|
|Chrishell & Gleb||13 (4, 5, 4)||Tango||"Raise Your Glass"—P!nk|
|Vernon & Peta||17 (5, 6, 6)||Foxtrot||"All of Me"—John Legend|
|Anne & Keo||18 (6, 6, 6)||Cha-cha-cha||"Don't Start Now"—Dua Lipa|
|Jeannie & Brandon||18 (6, 6, 6)||Salsa||"Tell It to My Heart"—Taylor Dayne|
|Jesse & Sharna||18 (6, 6, 6)||Quickstep||"Part-Time Lover"—Stevie Wonder|
|Skai & Alan||21 (7, 7, 7)||Tango||"Super Bass"—Nicki Minaj|
|Kaitlyn & Artem||20 (6, 7, 7)||Cha-cha-cha||"Stupid Love"—Lady Gaga|
|Nev & Jenna||20 (7, 7, 6)||Foxtrot||"The Way You Look Tonight"—Frank Sinatra|
|Johnny & Britt||18 (6, 6, 6)||Cha-cha-cha||"Buttons"—The Pussycat Dolls|
|Justina & Sasha||21 (7, 7, 7)||Cha-cha-cha||"Respect"—Aretha Franklin|
|Charles & Emma||12 (4, 4, 4)||Salsa||"In da Club"—50 Cent|
|Monica & Val||19 (6, 7, 6)||Foxtrot||"My Wish"—Rascal Flatts|
|Nelly & Daniella||16 (5, 5, 6)||Salsa||"Ride wit Me"—Nelly|
|Carole & Pasha||11 (4, 4, 3)||Paso doble||"Eye of the Tiger"—Survivor|
The celebrities and professional partners danced one of these routines for each corresponding week:
- Week 1: Cha-cha-cha, foxtrot, jive, paso doble, quickstep, salsa and tango (First Dances)
- Week 2: One unlearned dance (First Elimination)
|Monica & Val||Foxtrot||Jive|
|Carole & Pasha||Paso doble||Viennese waltz|
|Kaitlyn & Artem||Cha-cha-cha||Foxtrot|
|Vernon & Peta||Foxtrot||Paso doble|
|Anne & Keo||Cha-cha-cha||Foxtrot|
|Skai & Alan||Tango||Samba|
|Justina & Sasha||Cha-cha-cha||Rumba|
|Jeannie & Brandon||Salsa||Cha-cha-cha|
|AJ & Cheryl||Jive||Foxtrot|
|Jesse & Sharna||Quickstep||Foxtrot|
|Nelly & Daniella||Salsa||Cha-cha-cha|
|Charles & Emma||Salsa||Cha-cha-cha|
|Nev & Jenna||Foxtrot||Cha-cha-cha|
|Chrishell & Gleb||Tango||Rumba|
|Johnny & Britt||Cha-cha-cha||Tango|
- Highest scoring dance
- Lowest scoring dance
|1||"2020 Premiere"||September 14, 2020||1.3/8||8.12|
|2||"First Elimination"||September 22, 2020||TBD||TBD|
|3||"Disney Night"||September 28, 2020||TBD||TBD|
- "ABC's Dancing with the Stars Returns to the Ballroom, Monday, Sept. 14" (Press release). ABC. August 18, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020 – via The Futon Critic.
- Peter White (August 18, 2020). "Dancing With The Stars: ABC Confirms Premiere Date As Dancers Return To The Ballroom". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Desiree Murphy (August 18, 2020). "Dancing With the Stars Pros Announced for Season 29: Sharna Burgess, Britt Stewart & More". Entertainment Tonight. Archived from the original on August 18, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Thompson, D.L. (September 14, 2020). "DWTS 2020 Spoilers: Partners & Pairings Revealed on Dancing With the Stars". Heavy. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- Meredith Woerner (June 15, 2020). "Former Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristowe Joins Dancing With the Stars". Variety. Archived from the original on July 28, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Desiree Murphy (August 24, 2020). "AJ McLean Joining Dancing With the Stars (Exclusive)". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved August 24, 2020.
- Good Morning America [@GMA] (August 26, 2020). "TOMORROW ONLY ON @GMA: Who will be the FIRST celebrity dancer revealed for @DancingABC season 29? Find out LIVE from Times Square tomorrow!" (Tweet). Retrieved August 26, 2020 – via Twitter.
- Dancing With The Stars #DWTS [@DancingABC] (August 27, 2020). "Everybody! @aj_mclean is joining #DWTS this season starting September 14 on ABC. 🌟 @backstreetboys" (Tweet). Retrieved August 27, 2020 – via Twitter.
- Rebecca Strassberg (August 29, 2020). "Anne Heche, Jesse Metcalfe and Vernon Davis Confirmed for Dancing With the Stars Season 29". Us Weekly. Retrieved August 29, 2020.
- Artem Chigvintsev makes his return to 'Dancing With the Stars' (Video). ABC. August 24, 2020. Retrieved August 24, 2020 – via YouTube.
- Peter White (September 2, 2020). "Dancing With The Stars: ABC Unveils Season 29 Cast Including Tiger King's Carole Baskin & Rapper Nelly". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
- "Dancing with the Stars Heads Back Into the Ballroom for Its 2020 Season with Some Cha-Cha-Changes and a Brand-New Celebrity Cast" (Press release). ABC. September 2, 2020. Retrieved September 2, 2020 – via The Futon Critic.
- Carson Blackwelder (August 18, 2020). "Dancing With the Stars 2020: Meet season 29 pros including 1st Black female pro". Good Morning America. Archived from the original on August 18, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Maria Pasquini (August 24, 2020). "He's Back! Artem Chigvintsev Is Returning to Dancing with the Stars as a Season 29 Pro". People. Retrieved August 24, 2020.
- Jennifer Drysdale (May 13, 2020). "Dancing With the Stars Pro Lindsay Arnold Is Pregnant". Entertainment Tonight. Archived from the original on August 8, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Desiree Murphy (July 23, 2020). "Dancing With the Stars Pro Witney Carson Pregnant With First Child". Entertainment Tonight. Archived from the original on August 4, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Jordan Moreau (July 13, 2020). "Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews Exit Dancing With the Stars". Variety. Archived from the original on July 27, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Elizabeth Wagmeister (July 14, 2020). "Tyra Banks Set as New Dancing With the Stars Host". Variety. Archived from the original on July 17, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Lauren Sarner (August 18, 2020). "Dancing With the Stars 2020 pros cast, premiere date set for Season 29". New York Post. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Desiree Murphy (September 3, 2020). "Derek Hough Returning to Dancing With the Stars for Season 29". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- Nate Day (September 3, 2020). "Derek Hough sets Dancing with the Stars return for season 29". Fox News. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- Desiree Murphy (September 8, 2020). "Derek Hough Replacing Len Goodman as Judge on Dancing With the Stars". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Emmy Award Winner and Six-Time Mirrorball Champion Dancer Derek Hough Enters the Ballroom as the Newest Judge on ABC's Dancing with the Stars" (Press release). ABC. September 8, 2020. Retrieved September 8, 2020 – via The Futon Critic.
- Montgomery, Daniel (September 14, 2020). "'Dancing with the Stars' season premiere recap: Who stood out on the first night of a highly unusual season?". Gold Derby. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- Eng, Joyce (September 13, 2020). "Here are the routines and songs for 'Dancing with the Stars' Week 1, which will also have a voting twist". Gold Derby. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- Mitch Salem (September 15, 2020). "Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 9.14.2020". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved September 15, 2020.
- "Dancing with the Stars Episode Listings". The Futon Critic.