Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Srinivas Raju|
|Produced by||Prashanth G. R.
|Written by||Srinivas Raju|
|Screenplay by||Srinivas Raju|
|Music by||Arjun Janya|
|Edited by||S. Manohar|
Apple Blossom Creations
|Budget||₹3 crore (US$470,000)|
|Box office||₹35 crore (US$5.4 million)|
Dandupalya (Kannada: ದಂಡುಪಾಳ್ಯ) is a 2012 Indian Kannada-language crime film, starring Pooja Gandhi and Raghu Mukherjee in the leading roles. The plot is based on the real-life exploits of a notorious gang named 'Dandupalya'. The film was directed by Srinivas Raju and produced by Girish and Prashanth under the Apple Blossom Creations banner. The film was later dubbed in Telugu as Dandupalyam, in Tamil as Karimedu and in Malayalam as Kuruthikalam. It was a critical and commercial success in Karnataka and Andra Pradesh/Telangana, and became one of the highest-grossing films of 2012, being shown for more than 100 days in multiple centres.
A sequel to the film was announced in July 2014. Dandupalya 2 has begun the production on 24 March 2016. Srinivas Raju is directed the film, which will star Pooja Gandhi. Arjun Janya is slated as the music director and the cinematography will be handled by Venkat Prasad. And Dandupalya 3 also shooting simultaneously with part 2 having the almost same cast and sequel 3 will be released with sequel 2 in difference of one month.
The story revolves around Lakshmi (Pooja Gandhi), leader of the gang, who spots houses where women are alone. She goes to the house asking for water. When the women go inside, the entire gang led by Krishna (Makarand Deshpande) and followed by Hanuma (Ravi Kale), Thimma (Jaidev), Muniya (Karisubbu) and others enter the house and kill women.
Krishna takes thrill in slitting the throats as he is fond of the noise that comes out from the throat when blood oozes out. Then they loot the house and escape. They are all shabbily dressed, rough and tough. Inspector Chalapathi (P. Ravishankar) takes up the challenge of arresting them. Thimma was carrying stolen Temple ornaments. He was rejected by the jeweller, while getting back trapped by Ravi shankar and all of them would be arrested by police and taken to court.
- Pooja Gandhi as Lakshmi
- Raghu Mukherjee
- Priyanka Kothari as wife of Raghu
- P. Ravi Shankar as Inspector Chalapathi
- Makarand Deshpande as Krishna
- Ravi Kale as Hanuma
- Jayadev Mohan as Koti Thimma
- Karisubbu as Muniya
- Sudharani as wife of Inspector Chalapathi
- Bhavya as sister of Raghu
- Doddanna as an Advocate
- Ramesh Bhat
- Srinivasa Murthy
- Harish Rai
- Bullet Prakash
- Pradeep Gadhadhar
"According to the dictionary, nudity means that you are not covered with a single item of clothing from head to toe. But in this scene, I have worn a sari and I am trying to cover my body, except for my back".
says Gandhi about her controversial scene in the film
Pooja Gandhi was asked to do the female lead in this film as Lakshmi, is a leader of a infamous notorious gang. She was reluctantly agreed to do the role, because of negative talk in Kannada film industry that she would be lost her image working in such character's. extremely she has done and come out with a overwhelming critical appraise by the both critics and audience. The film was the witness for Pooja Gandhi's mega comeback and which was critically and commercially a big success and brought back Pooja Gandhi into stardom through it. Gandhi received immense critical appraisal by the both critics and the audience, and she has received several awards for her performance as Lakshmi.
The film was criticised by social group Bahujan Samaj Horata Samiti, who claimed that its content was offensive. They objected specifically to the film's portrayal of women. Further controversy followed when it was revealed that actress Pooja Gandhi would appear topless in the film.
|Soundtrack album by Arjun Janya|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Aleyo Alegale"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Karthik, Anuradha Bhat|
|2.||"Kalli Nanu"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Vasundhara Das, Harsha Sadanandam|
|3.||"Police Theme"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Ravi Basur|
|4.||"Yaare Neenu"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Nakul, Priya Himesh|
|5.||"Dandupalya Theme"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Instrumental|
Release and reception
|Times of India|
|International Business Times|
The Film opened to mostly positive reviews from the Critics.
DNA praising the performance of Gandhi " Don't miss out on Pooja’s performance or to find out how this notorious gang was caught by the daring police inspector, Chalapathi. And if you already have watched it, well you now have the sequel to look forward to… Pooja Gandbi has delivered a stunning performance in the role of Lakshmi. She has to be appreciated for accepting a role with negative shades. Her body language and expressions are really good.
Rediff.com rating three-star and stating Pooja Gandhi "walks away with acting honours. She is a stunner with her vain looks sans makeup throughout the movie and she has lived her role exceptionally well", and about Ravishankar as 'the cop is effective' and then Makrand Deshpande 'as one of the kingpins of the gang is superb'.
The Times of India awarded the film 3 stars out of 5, praising the performances of Pooja Gandhi, "Gandhi done a excellent performance as Lakshmi" and about Makarand Deshapande, Ravi Kale and Ravishankar given a best performance.
Chitraloka.com praising the performance of Pooja Gandhi " Gandhi makes a strong come back like Vidya Balan, 'Male' girl look risk like the subdued and simplistic Vidya Balan to take a stunning turn in her choice of roles, Pooja took a calculated risk in accepting a role in Dandupalya that is tailor made for Vamps.
filmibeat.com stating "The actors in the film amazingly perform in their roles. Firstly, Pooja Gandhi is the lifesaver of the film. For all those, who criticised her for not being a good actress, do watch the film to see the other side of Pooja. The way she smokes beedis, sitting and mouthing the dialogues have to be praised. Her entire body language is amazingly excellent and her costume compliment each other. Last but not least, her skin show is a treat for masses".
Box office and performance
The film was dubbed in Telugu and released as Dandupalyam. It was well received in Andhra Pradesh. The film Danduplya dubbed version titled under Dandupalyam was released with 110 prints and completed successfully 100-days run at "Guntur" and "Ongole" in AP/Telangana.
A sequel to the film was announced in July 2014. Dandupalya 2 has begun the production on 24 March 2016. Srinivas Raju will direct the film, which will star Pooja Gandhi. Arjun Janya is slated as the music director and the cinematography will be performed by Venkat Prasad.
Awards and nominations
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Raghu Mukherjee||Nominated|
|Best Actress in a Negative Role||Pooja Gandhi||Won|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Makarand Deshpande||Nominated|
|Suvarna Film Awards||Best Actress||Pooja Gandhi||Won|
|Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress||Pooja Gandhi||Nominated|
- "Sandalwood: Hits and misses of 2012". newindianexpress.com.
- "Dandupalya collected ₹25 crore in Karnataka and along with it's Telugu dubbed version collected ₹10 crore". www.sify.com.
- "Dandupalya said to have made ₹25 crore in Karnataka". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Dubbed telugu version collected ₹10 crore". m.indiaglitz.com.
- Pooja Gandhi's Dandupalya facing hurdles for release. Entertainment.oneindia.in (13 March 2012). Retrieved on 26 May 2012.
- Dandupalya Torture Sequnce Was Required – Pooja. chitraloka.com (31 December 2011)
- Dandupalyam releases in AP today – The Times of India. M.timesofindia.com (25 January 2013). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- "Rs 1-crore jail set for Dandupalyam-2". m.dailyhunt.in.
- "Going Back to Crime". newindianexpress.com. 19 March 2016.
- "Dandupalya 3 Shot simultaneously with Part 2". newindianexpress.
- "The total cast and crew of the film". filmipop.
- "I wasn’t nude for the film: Pooja Gandhi". m.timesofindia.com.
- "ಪೂಜಾ ಗಾಂಧಿ ಅಮೋಘ ಅಭಿನಯದ 'ದಂಡ'ಪಾಳ್ಯ". kannada.filmibeat.com.
- "critically-acclaimed Kannada film Dandupalya is now dubbed as Karimedu in Tamil". m.timesofindia.com.
- "Pooja Gandhi still committed to 'Hoovi'". www.newindianexpress.com.
- "Dandupalya is Karimedu in Tamil". timesofindia.
- "Pooja Gandhi To Be A Part Of Dandupalya 2". m.desimartini.com.
- "Protest held against Dandupalya". The Hindu. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Pooja's Dandupalya in Tamil? – The Times of India. M.timesofindia.com (21 July 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- Review: 'Dandupalya (Kannada)' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis. Dnaindia.com (30 June 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- Kannada Review: 'Dandupalya' is not for weak hearts. News18 (30 June 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- Review: Dandupalya tells a spine chilling story – Rediff.com movies. M.rediff.com (29 June 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- G S Kumar (29 June 2012). "Dandupalya". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Dandupalya gets a Mega Opening". chitraloka.com. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Dandupalya Movie Review. Filmibeat (27 July 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- "దండుపాళ్యం – రియాలిటీకి చాలా దగ్గరగా". 123telugu.com.
- Kannada 'Danduplaya' to be remade in Hindi – News18. M.ibnlive.com (22 July 2012). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- Dandupalyam 100 Days Function. ragalahari.com
- Dandupalyam-completes-100-days-in-two-theatres Movie Photo Galleries, Cinema News, Video songsa and Movies. Cinejosh.com. Retrieved on 14 January 2017.
- "Dandupalya dubbed version a hit". The Times of India. 31 January 2013.
- Dandupalyam. Cinejosh.com (6 May 2013). Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- "Pooja Gandhi’s Dandupalya is now Karimedu in Tamil". kollytalk.com. 9 May 2013.
- "Movie review: 'Karimedu' – spine chilling, realistic". Indo-Asian News Service. 24 May 2013.
- "Going Back to Crime". newindianexpress.com. 19 March 2016.
- Kamath, Sudhish (15 September 2013) Stars in Sharjah. The Hindu. Retrieved on 2017-01-14.
- "Pooja Gandhi – Awards". Internet Movie Database.