Dane Allan Smith
Dane Allan Smith is a Canadian visual effects producer. He is known for his work on Deadpool (2016), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013). His production company DANEIAM Inc, is based in Los Angeles and focuses on Post-production vendor management and client facing communication.
Smith attended York University in Toronto. He graduated with a Communications major in 1984.
In 1999, Smith founded Menithings Productions  which contributed visual effects for Hellboy (film). Menithings also produced The Freak  and Battle for Terra, two short CGI animated films that earned a variety of awards at multiple film festivals. Smith helped with the original feature films for the company and in 2008 Battle for Terra was released. For his work on Battle of Terra, he won the Grand Prize for Best Animated Feature at the 2008 Ottawa International Animation Festival.
Smith's work on stereoscopic conversion included being a stereo producer  on director James Cameron’s Deepsea Challenge 3D production. He managed over 1,400 shots that featured modeling, lighting, particle animation, compositing and stereoscopic conversion. In addition Dane helped design the proprietary pipeline deployed to convert BATTLE FOR TERRA to stereoscopic 3D for theatrical release along with Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2, RIPD, and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
Gnomon School of Visual Effects
In 2010 he joined the Gnomon School of Visual Effects  as faculty where he instructs students in courses that include: Virtual Reality Production, The History of Visual Effects, and Stereoscopic Filmmaking techniques and practices.
Smith has been the Visual Effects Producer  on numerous VFX driven features, including Warcraft (film), San Andreas (film), Transformers: Age of Extinction, Bunraku (film), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 & 2, The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 film) & Looper (film). In 2015 Smith was the Visual Effects Producer  on Anomalisa directed by Charlie Kaufman. The film was nominated for an Oscar under the category for best animated feature.
In 2017 Dane joined THE THIRD FLOOR as Global Head of the newly formed Business Development department, strengthening their competitive position through strategic market analysis, evaluation, and realization of new expansion opportunities for existing and new client relationships. Dane acts as the key representative to external parties (Studio Management, Directors and Producers), and works closely with business unit employees and senior management throughout the global organization.
Smith founded Ember Immersive in 2015 to bring premium cinematic VR experiences to the world through distribution/production of content, products (e.g. cameras), and VR Technology. Smith produced Stan Lee’s Cosmic Crusaders VR. The debut episode will be presented in virtual reality, with one episode airing each day during Comic-Con International 2016 via smartphone VR viewers to be handed out at the show.
Notable Film and Television Work
- Warcraft (film) (2016) 
- Star Trek Beyond (2016) 
- Deadpool (film) (2016)
- Rush Hour (TV series) (2016)
- In the Heart of the Sea (film) (2015)
- The Walk (2015 film) (2015)
- Anomalisa (2015)
- San Andreas (film) (2015)
- The Man in the High Castle (TV series) (2015)
- Game of Thrones (TV series) (2015)
- Selma (film) (2014)
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (TV series) (2014)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
- Looper (film) (2012)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 film) (2012)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2012)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
- Bunraku (film) (2010)
- Battle for Terra (2007)
- Hollywood.com Staff (2015-02-05). "Dane Allan Smith | Biography and Filmography". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1328180/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm[better source needed]
- businessdatabase.us. "Menithings Productions, Los Angeles 90036 (Los Angeles, CA)". BusinessDatabase.US. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- John Anderson (2008-05-09). "Battle for Terra". Variety. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- Beck, Jerry (2009-02-18). "Battle For Terra". Cartoonbrew.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Deep Sea Challenge |". Stereodllc.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Filmography for Dane Allan Smith". Tcm.com. 1974-08-07. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Dane Smith | Gnomon". Gnomon.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Stan Lee's POW! Entertainment Teams With Hollywood Reporter on New Series 'Cosmic Crusaders'". Retrieved 2016-06-29.