|Full name||Dane O'Brian Richards|
|Date of birth||14 December 1983|
|Place of birth||Montego Bay, Jamaica|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
(on loan from New York Red Bulls)
|2003–2004||San Jacinto Coyotes|
|2007–2012||New York Red Bulls||147||(21)|
|2012||Vancouver Whitecaps FC||12||(3)|
|2013||→ Bodø/Glimt (loan)||14||(2)|
|2015–||New York Red Bulls||12||(0)|
|2015||→ Indy Eleven (loan)||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 2 June 2015 (UTC).
- 1 Career
- 2 Career statistics
- 3 Honours
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Youth and college
Richards was a member of the youth system of Jamaican National Premier League side Seba United while attending Cornwall College in Montego Bay, where he won the DaCosta Cup and Oliver Shield. He moved to the United States to play college soccer in 2003.
He then moved on to Clemson University, where he led the team in scoring as a junior with 12 goals and nine assists. Richards scored the game-winning goal in three NCAA Tournament matches and scored in Clemson's 2-1 loss to New Mexico in the College Cup semifinals. As a senior in 2006, Richards had 11 goals and nine assists in 19 games, as Clemson lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Richards was named a second-team all-American.
New York Red Bulls
Richards was drafted in the second round of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft by New York Red Bulls, establishing himself as the first team right winger for the club. On 5 May 2007, Richards scored his first MLS regular season goal in a 3-3 tie at Real Salt Lake. He concluded his first MLS season appearing in 28 matches, including 27 starts, in which he managed two goals and six assists. His assist total was second on the club and led all league rookies. At the conclusion of the season Richards was selected as one of three nominees for league rookie of the year honours.
Richards appeared in 23 MLS regular season matches in 2008, scoring 3 goals and recording 6 assists. In the 2008 MLS Cup Playoffs, Richards helped the Red Bulls to an upset over defending Champion Houston Dynamo (4-1 on aggregate). Richards tallied the club's first goal in a 3-0 rout in the second leg of the series in Robertson Stadium in Houston. He also drew a penalty and assisted on the third goal. In 2009, Richards appeared in 27 league matches scoring 3 goals.
On 20 March 2010, Richards scored the third goal for Red Bulls in a 3-1 victory against Santos FC, which was the first match played at the new Red Bull Arena. On 25 July 2010, Richards scored a goal in helping lead New York to a 2-1 victory against Manchester City in a friendly match. On 24 September 2010, Richards appeared in his 100th league match for New York and helped lead the club to a 2-0 victory in The Home Depot Center over Los Angeles Galaxy scoring his team's first goal and drawing the penalty that led to New York's second goal. Richards concluded his 2010 campaign scoring five goals in his last seven matches helping New York to capture the Eastern Conference regular season title. In 2011, Richards enjoyed his most productive season to date, netting seven goals and providing seven assists in 27 matches.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Richards was traded to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on 13 July 2012 for Sébastien Le Toux and allocation money. At the time of the trade Richards stood second on New York's MLS league career list for games played, games started, and minutes played while placing third in assists. He scored his first goal for Vancouver against the San Jose Earthquakes on 20 July to put the Whitecaps up 1-0.
On 26 August 2012 it was confirmed that Richards would join English Championship side Burnley on 1 January 2013 after the end of the MLS season and in the European transfer window. After initially appearing as a substitute in an FA Cup game, Richards appeared to struggle with his positioning on the field. He was given a second chance, this time in a Championship league game against Huddersfield, coming on after 15 minutes for the injured Dean Marney. Richards again struggled to acclimatise to the pace of the game, and was himself substituted after an hour. This would be his last appearance in a Burnley shirt, and he was sent out on loan shortly after.
Upon his return from his loan spell, Richards was released from his Burnley contract so that he could permanently join Norwegian side FK Bodø/Glimt.
After struggling to earn a starting place with Burnley, Richards was sent on loan to Adeccoligaen club Bodø/Glimt on 4 April 2013. He played in 14 league games and scored 2 goals before his loan period ended, and he returned to his parent club. In July 2013 Richards signed a permanent contract to finish out the season. He helped the club in capturing the 2013 Adeccoligaen and gain promotion to the top flight. On 13 April 2014 Richards helped Bodø/Glimt record their first victory of the Tippeligaen season, scoring the equalizer in a 4-2 come from behind win over Sogndal. He made a total of 55 official appearances for Bodø/Glimt, scoring ten goals.
Return to New York Red Bulls
Richards debuted with the Jamaican national team in 2002 at the age of 18, and while he was still at Clemson returned to the Jamaican national team, playing in a 1-1 friendly tie against the United States.
His play during the 2007 season did not go unnoticed by the Jamaica Football Federation as he was rewarded by being called up to the national team for friendlies against El Salvador and Guatemala in Kingston. He played in both matches which ended in victory for Jamaica. Richards has also participated in 2010 World Cup qualifying matches and was selected for the 2008 Caribbean Championship. He appeared in all five matches for Jamaica, in helping Jamaica to capture the 2008 Caribbean Championship. Richards also featured in the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup. In 2010, Richards became a mainstay with the national team and started to consistently demonstrate outstanding attacking prowess. On 11 August 2010 Richards recorded his first goal for Jamaica in a 3-1 victory against Caribbean rivals Trinidad and Tobago. On 10 October 2010 Richards recorded his second international goal, scoring with a 19th-minute penalty to help Jamaica to a 1-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago. Richards scored three(3) goals for Jamaica in December 2010, leading them to another Caribbean Cup title, while also winning the Golden Boot.
|1||11 August 2010||Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya, Trinidad and Tobago||Trinidad and Tobago||1 – 0||3 – 1||International Friendly|
|2||10 October 2010||Independence Park, Kingston, Jamaica||Trinidad and Tobago||1 – 0||1 – 0||International Friendly|
|3||29 November 2010||Stade En Camée, Rivière-Pilote, Martinique||Antigua and Barbuda||1 – 0||3 – 1||2010 Caribbean Championship|
|4||1 December 2010||Stade En Camée, Rivière-Pilote, Martinique||Guyana||1 – 0||4 – 0||2010 Caribbean Championship|
|5||3 December 2010||Stade Pierre-Aliker, Fort-de-France, Martinique||Grenada||1 – 0||2 – 1||2010 Caribbean Championship|
|6||29 March 2011||Estadio Cuscatlán, San Salvador, El Salvador||El Salvador||0 – 1||2 – 3||International Friendly|
|7||29 March 2011||Estadio Cuscatlán, San Salvador, El Salvador||El Salvador||0 – 2||2 – 3||International Friendly|
|8||1 June 2012||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City, Panama||Panama||1 - 2||1 – 2||International Friendly|
|9||16 October 2012||Independence Park, Kingston, Jamaica||Antigua and Barbuda||3 – 1||4 – 1||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|10||16 October 2012||Independence Park, Kingston, Jamaica||Antigua and Barbuda||4 – 1||4 – 1||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- As of 8 November 2014
|New York Red Bulls||2007||Major League Soccer||28||2||—||—||3||0||31||2|
|2008||Major League Soccer||23||3||—||—||4||1||27||4|
|2009||Major League Soccer||27||3||—||—||3||1||30||4|
|2010||Major League Soccer||25||5||—||—||3||0||28||5|
|2011||Major League Soccer||27||7||—||—||3||0||30||7|
|2012||Major League Soccer||17||1||—||—||0||0||17||1|
|Vancouver Whitecaps||2012||Major League Soccer||12||3||—||—||1||0||13||3|
|New York Red Bulls||2015||Major League Soccer||12||0||—||—||1||0||13||0|
- New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer Western Conference Playoff Championship (1): 2008
- Major League Soccer Eastern Conference Regular Season Championship (1): 2010
- FK Bodo/Glimt
- Adeccoligaen Norway First Division Winner (1): 2013 Adeccoligaen
- "Professional Retain List & Free Transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "A Grand Opening Night". Bigapplesoccer.com. 20 March 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Richards scores on historic night". Jamaicaobserver.com. 22 March 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Richards, Kandji lead Red Bulls past Man City[dead link]
- Richards helps NY beat LA[dead link]
- Red Bulls clinch Eastern Conference[dead link]
- "'Caps acquire Jamaican international Richards and allocation money from Red Bulls for Le Toux | Vancouver Whitecaps FC". Whitecapsfc.com. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Red Bulls Acquire Forward Sebastien Le Toux". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Burnley | News | Latest Headlines | Latest Headlines | Great Dane To Be Unleashed As A Claret". Burnleyfootballclub.com. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "BBC Sport - Barnsley 1-0 Burnley". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "BBC Sport - Burnley 0-1 Huddersfield". Bbc.co.uk. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Dane Richards: Burnley release winger ahead of Norway move". BBC Sport. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "BBC Sport - Dane Richards: Burnley winger sent to Norway for loan spell". BBC. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Bodø/Glimt vs. Sogndal 4-2". Soccerway. 13 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "New York Red Bulls sign Dane Richards". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Indy Adds Jamaican International Dane Richards". indyeleven.com. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Richards helps lead Jamaica". Redbullsreader.wordpress.com. 15 December 2008. Retrieved 14 July 2012.[better source needed]
- "Richards nets first goal for Jamaica". Vcstar.com. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Richards helps topple T&T again". Jamaicaobserver.com. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Brian Tsao (5 February 2011). "Preseason Training in Mexico: Day 1". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "New York player appearances". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Burnley 2012/2013 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Bodo/Glimt 2013 player appearances". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Jamaican, Dane Richards, and Grenadian, Kithson Bain, named as Digicel Golden Boot Winners". Digicel Football. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dane Richards.|