December 27, 1957|
Denton, Texas, U.S.
|Died||March 29, 2014
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
(m. 1986; div. 1988)
Tracy K. Shaffer
(m. 1989; div. 2011)
Dane Witherspoon (December 27, 1957 – March 29, 2014) was an American actor who appeared in daytime TV soap operas Santa Barbara as Joe Perkins in 1984, and in Capitol as Tyler McCandless from 1985 to 1986.
Early life and career
Witherspoon was born in Denton, Texas as Richard Dane Witherspoon. At age 19, he was the youngest student ever accepted by the American Conservatory Theater (ACT) in San Francisco, California, appearing in productions from Shakespeare to Tennessee Williams. He performed one season at the Utah Shakespeare Festival. After getting his acting degree from ACT, Witherspoon went to Hollywood in 1980 where he landed small roles in The Waltons and Eight Is Enough.
In 1984, he made his soap opera debut as the original Joe Perkins on Santa Barbara. Three months later, Dane was replaced by Mark Arnold. Dane soon returned to daytime as Tyler McCandless on Capitol; he played this part from 1985 to 1986. He met actress Robin Wright when they auditioned for Santa Barbara. The two were married from 1986 to 1988. Witherspoon had two sons with his second ex-wife, Tracy Shaffer.
- "Santa Barbara alum dead at 56". Soap Opera Digest. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- (18 July 1985). "A Look At Dane Witherspoon", Toledo Blade
- (November 1, 1985). "Great Dane Finds New Home on Capitol", Waycross Herald-Journal; accessed April 1, 2014.
- (September 1, 1984). "Success of 'Santa Barbara' is up to Dane Witherspoon", Miami News; accessed April 1, 2014.
- "Penn's Crossing". Jam.canoe.ca. 1995-11-05. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Dane Witherspoon biography at". Capridge.com. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- Newcomb, Roger. "Dane Witherspoon Dead at 56". We Love Soaps. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
|This article about an American television actor or actress born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|