Dane van Niekerk
|Full name||Dane van Niekerk|
14 May 1993 |
Pretoria, South Africa
|Bowling style||Right arm leg spin|
|Test debut (cap 57)||16 November 2014 v India women|
|ODI debut (cap 53)||8 March 2009 v West Indies women|
|Last ODI||17 March 2015 v Pakistan women|
|ODI shirt no.||81|
|T20I debut (cap 18)||11 June 2009 v West Indies women|
|Last T20I||19 February 2016 v England women|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: Cricinfo, 19 February 2016|
Dane van Niekerk (born 14 May 1993) is a South African cricketer born in Pretoria and educated at Centurion High School. A leg spin bowler, she has appearances in Test, One Day International (ODI) and Twenty20 International (T20I) representing South Africa.
Early life and career
She played domestically for Highveld Women and Northerns Women before becoming the first South African female (along with Marizanne Kapp) included in the Eastern Province cricket team academy (men's team). She was selected as part of the South Africa national women's cricket team for the 2009 Women's Cricket World Cup in Australia, becoming a regular presence in the squad, being called for the 2013 Women's Cricket World Cup as well as representing South Africa at the Women's World Twenty20 in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
In March 2009, starting as a leg spinner she made her debut at 16 years of age during the 2009 World Cup against the West Indies at Newcastle. In her second match, she took 3/11 as South Africa beat Sri Lanka in Sydney to claim 7th place in the tournament. Through the years she has developed into an all-rounder and became a T20I opening batter.
In January 2013 she became the first South African woman to take a hat-trick, finishing with 5/28 in an ODI match against the West Indies. A month later she scored her first ODI half century with a 55 not out during a World Cup match against Pakistan which also included a partnership of 128 runs with Marizanne Kapp, the highest South African partnership for the 6th wicket.
In January 2014 against Pakistan, van Niekerk took her second ODI five-wicket haul with 5/17, she is the first South African woman player to achieve two five-wicket hauls in ODI. Later that year, facing Pakistan at the Women's World T20I, she scored 90 not out in a 163 unbroken partnership with Lizelle Lee, which is the second highest individual score in T20I by a South African women and the second highest partnership in all women's T20I history.
- "Dane van Niekerk player profile". Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- "Player profile". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Warne has nothing on van Niekerk". Superport. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "van Niekerk guides South Africa Women to comfortable win". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Room-mates lift South Africa with record stand". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Fritz, van Niekerk set up South Africa win". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "SA Women ODI - Most five-wickets-in-an-innings". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "SA Women T20I - High scores". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Women's Twenty20 Internationals / Partnership records / Highest partnerships for any wicket". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "South Africa openers set up thumping win". Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Renegades sign triple threat for WBBL". Melbourne Renegades. Retrieved 24 March 2016.